#milemadness Do Part Deux West Coast Ideas

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Will we need to check the blogs or will the forum have a link to buy tickets?
You will have to check all Saverocity blogs, comment positively, apply for 7 credit cards (even if you just want the Fidelity Amex) stand on one leg at 7.01 for 30 seconds and then you are in.

OK- i'll put a link to it here. You can hit 'watch thread' too if you really want :)

cocobird

Level 2 Member
You will have to check all Saverocity blogs, comment positively, apply for 7 credit cards (even if you just want the Fidelity Amex) stand on one leg at 7.01 for 30 seconds and then you are in.

OK- i'll put a link to it here. You can hit 'watch thread' too if you really want :)
Piece of cake :p

spirith20

Level 2 Member
Matt, fairly new to this whole game BUT as someone who lives in Phoenix, I absolutely want it! What's the best method/website to be waiting on at 7:00am…before I zoom off to work!

PS. Anything you need help with here in Phoenix?

trvl4fs

Level 2 Member
:)
Too bad you're not having any fun with this. Not sure how you are able to do this given everything else you have going on. Thanks for all the hard work!

Trevor

Level 2 Member

That's all you're asking???? Just 7 CC's?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad you're not having any fun with this. Not sure how you are able to do this given everything else you have going on. Thanks for all the hard work!
I have to have a little fun, else I might just lose my mind. For example, after my last post on here last night we lost power, meaning that I couldn't access the ticket system. It came back on about 20 minutes ago, so I created the event, with a time to start at 10am Eastern, only to learn that the event needs manual approval by the ticket company I used... and they aren't answering the phone!

I am sure that everything will work out just fine :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
The #westcoastDO is here! On May 10th we held a celebration of Mile madness in Charlotte. The event was our first attempt at bringing good people together with a common goal. At that time we made Mile Madness the reason for the celebration, and made a day of it by bringing in guest speakers, having a great lunch, and a fantastic social hour in the evening.

Charlotte sold out very quickly, and there was huge interest for another event, something more convenient for the West Coast folk to attend. The difficulty we faced in planning this event was how to make it better. We could easily sell double the tickets, heck, we would sell out at 5x capacity, I am sure. But this would lose some of the essence of what made Charlotte so special.upload_2014-7-3_10-2-54.gif

This event is all about the people, and while I think that the people who spoke at Charlotte were phenomenal, from well known names like Frequent Miler, to legends of the 'game' like Marathon Man - it wasn't about them. It was about everyone having the right attitude that made it a great day, with no pretentiousness. It was great to see people sharing stories and making new friends. How to follow up an amazing success like that? We went to the essence of what made it work - a great location, environment and people, and made it even better. The #westcoastDO will be like nothing you have seen before in a conference. Because it isn't a conference - it is a retreat.

The Event Snapshot
  • Date: 11/8 Saturday from 10am (doors open 9:30am)
  • Location Firesky Resort, Phoenix
  • Confirmed speakers: Frequent Miler, Marathon Man, Miles Professor, Bengali Miles Guru, Points2PointB and Myself
  • Unconfirmed speakers: we expect to have a couple more people joining the line up.
  • What's new: Panel Q/A for an hour to get more interactive with the group, more time between speakers, longer lunch to socialize
  • What''s the same: Lunch is included (trying to get it outdoor as a grill session, but it will be great wherever it happens) A Social hour with Drinks and snacks
  • Ticket price: $115 there are 120 tickets on sale, no earlybird pricing, and we are all buying, including me.
Ticket Purchase Link

The Date:
  • Saturday 11/8 from 10am (registration/doors open 9:30am)
  • Presentations will run from 10am until 5pm
  • Lunch will be extended to 1hr 30 mins, so you can enjoy the slower pace, great food and wonderful people.
  • A social hour will occur in the evening - note that Kimpton has a free wine social hour for guests with rooms, so we will time it so people can roll from one to the other with minimum lack of a beverage in hand. Those who chose to stay in other hotels can't access the Kimpton social hour.
Many people are staying the weekend. From speaking with the organizing team, it seems that most will arrive on Friday evening and depart on Monday, so things will be happening both on Friday evening and Sunday. I've set up some Forum threads to discuss Car Pooling/ Ride Sharing, Alternative hotel rates/codes, meetups for Friday, Sunday etc so people can connect.

The Location
The Firesky Resort - A Kimpton Hotel (nearest airport PHX)

Firesky Lobby PHX

Firesky Resort PHX

As you can see, this is a beautiful looking property. When we were planning this one of our organizers stated: "we want a place where we can all hang out and talk smack around the firepits til 2am". While the time might not be everyone, I think the idea of sitting outside and forging new friendships is a fantastic one, and this is the way to develop your connections in the game.

Firepits at Firesky
Room Rate
We have negotiated a nightly rate of $159, there will be a link to book online soon, but in the interim you can book by calling in:

• Ryan Nelly is our incredible lead reservations agent and he can be the call-in contact for your group. If you can instruct them to call Ryan directly at 480-424-6091, he’ll be able to take care of everyone!
Note that there is also a resort fee of $22, for which the following is included:

Self and valet parking

o Wireless internet in guestrooms and public space (not to include meeting rooms)

o Coffee service in living room lobby daily from 6:00a - 10:00a

o Seasonal non-alcoholic beverages served in living room lobby and Paradise Pool

o 24-hour access to fitness center

o 24-hour access to business center

o S'mores to enjoy over fire pits, on request

o Daily newspapers, on request

· And don't forget the additional inclusions guests receive when staying with us:

o Complimentary Wine Hour every night from 5:00p - 6:00p, seven days a week

o Complimentary Denali shuttle service, within a 3-mile radius of the property

o Complimentary bicycle rental to explore the area like a local

o Complimentary 24-hour yoga channel and yoga mat in-room

o $10.00 Raid the Bar card with Kimpton InTouch membership

Please feel free to ask questions in the comments here, or take the conversation deeper by joining in at The Forum.

Tickets on Sale now: $115

Note, right of admission is reserved, regardless of ticket holding, tickets are refundable up until 7 days prior to the event, and are transferable always.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Looks totally wonderful, @Matt. I have a ticket and will set to work on reworking the travel plans I have already for immediately before! Thanks for all the hard work and see you in PHX!