Norwegian Getaway

tjs198

Level 2 Member
anyone been on the new Norwegian Getaway yet? I booked a Thanksgiving week cruise - would love to hear some comments/tips.

gasman

Level 2 Member
I've cruised with several other lines, just not NCL. Their freestyle dining has changed the way several other lines handle their dinners, etc. Check out cruisecritic.com and you can find your specific sailing/ship/embarkation port to link up with others on your specific sailing. Sometimes cruise lines have been known to throw a cocktail mixer or reception for cruisecritic members. I hope you have a great cruise!

tjs198

Level 2 Member
see you there! i'm flying into FLL the night before and staying at the intercontinental. do you have any recommendations on transfers from airport and back to FLL airport after the cruise? is Uber there yet?

Stuck in KC

Level 2 Member
We just did Norwegian Jewel to Alaska, if there is anything about that you would like to ask. My biggest problem: Pepsi products only on NCL, no Coke.

tjs198

Level 2 Member
know if they will do seating for 14 at dinner/restaurants? we are making it a family reunion

Stuck in KC

Level 2 Member
I would believe you would be okay. The first couple nights we ate in the buffet dining area. After that, I realized that the food was better in the regular dining rooms and the specialty restaurants. I saw lots of big groups in the dining room. We ate there the last four nights. Then I let the kids go to the buffet and got more of whatever they wanted (teen boys) after we had a family dinner of steak, salmon, prime rib, etc. There is a way to make reservations and there was a board on the jewel that showed which restaurants were full or close to full and had time recommendations. We changed our time by one half hour one night.

We went out via Seattle and the one change since my last cruise was that you could carry on anything that would go thru their X-ray machine and just take it to your room without worrying about delivery. Same getting off, if you were dealing with your own luggage, you got into the first departure group. There was a luggage storage area just down the street ($4/bag ) if my memory holds. We stashed a bunch of stuff then went and spent four hours touring Seattle before going to the airport. We were off by seven thirty although the brochure said to expect it to be ten am.

Ctrix65513

Level 2 Member
I went on both ships this past year--- very similar. I slightly preferred the decor, food, and itinerary on the Getaway. Any questions, feel free to ask. Also, cruisecritic.com is filled with tons of knowledge.

Uber is readily available in downtown Miami.

Seating for 14 should be done in advance to avoid a wait. Inquire once you get onboard. I know this kind of negates the freestyle concept but the trade off is waiting as they scramble together 14 seats.