Before I begin- let me say THANK YOU to those of you that attended and THANK YOU THANK YOU to Rich, Sam, Shawn, Joe, and Haley for knocking it out of the park with their talks at FT4RL 4 in Orlando this weekend. I’ll be sharing their presentations (edited) over the next few days. In the meantime, check out Dan (THANK YOU) from Points with a Crew’s recaps and the Saverocity Observation Deck podcast.
I have a ton of takeaways, but here’s what’s top of mind:
- It’s (still) about the travel and (still) about your family. Miles and points are a tool but traveling more with your family is the point of it all. Grab the kleenex before you watch Shawn’s video.
- If you want something, pay for it. Sam was so ahead of the curve with the BYOE status program and reminded us that it’s a lot easier to just book a suite or first class ticket when you really want it than to “qualify” and pray for an upgrade. Since I’m still on the fence about re-qualifying for Hyatt Diamond it was a welcome change of paradigm.
- I need some 2525 in my life. Sorry to speak in code, but I gotta hold something back for guests only! Rich blew my mind with his math tricks.
- Every time I think I’m a Disney World Expert, Haley proves me wrong. Wow. Just wow.
- Pajama points trump everything. When you’re pressed for time, points at home are worth much more than endless trips to Wal-Mart. Joe’s words of wisdom included “My family priorities dictate my travel priorities. My travel priorities dictate my budget priorities.”. Truth.
Twitter Party next Tuesday!
I thought it would be fun to get together next Tuesday May 3 at 8PM EST to share our fave tips and tricks from Family Travel for Real Life. Our sponsor Parksavers gave out some awesome magic band bling for FT4RL guests. I just so happen to have an extra set to give away at the party! To participate, just follow #FT4RL. A great primer on Twitter parties is on Traveling Mom if you’re new to the concept.
FT4RL 5 is November 5 in Dallas!
Tickets are now available! Be there!
Kenny from Miles4More on Getting Back to Nature on Miles and Points
I’m still recruiting for speakers. If you have an engaging story to tell about family travel, let me know! You do NOT have to be a blogger, but should be a parent. I’m also considering (thanks Michael for the idea) a session of mini-sessions so if you have expertise in something that is worthy of sharing but not to fill an hour let me know, too.
The Deal Mommy is a proud member of the Saverocity network.