I got an email this morning from Turkish Airlines today that anyone with a kid ages 2-12 should pay attention to.The “Little Heroes” program is giving 1,000 bonus miles for sign-up, and another 1,000 bonus miles if you fly in 90 days.
Points and miles junkies have already left to enroll, but for the rest of you who are thinking “I’m not going to Turkey, why do I care?”, here are some reasons:
- The flight within 90 days is on any Star Alliance carrier, so your kid gets it for flying United.
- Miles in Turkish Airlines can be earned by flying United as well. Just put your Turkish Airlines Frequent Flyer number in the reservation instead of the United number.
- Miles earned in the kids program don’t expire until the kid turns 18, and won’t expire after that if the kids flies once on any Star Alliance flight before 21.
- Miles can be transferred between kids for free, so all the miles from your kids can sit in one account, allowing you to redeem them sooner.
- Miles can be redeemed on any Star Alliance carrier, including for flights only within the United States. A low-level coast-coast one way award is only 10,000 miles on their new chart!
- Turkish is considered one of the “sweet spots” as far as having award seats available to Europe on miles.
PS: While we’re on the subject of free, don’t forget I’m giving away a weekend in New York City at The Radisson Martinique!