The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know!
On Credit Cards
- As the Joe Flies wrote a great “beginners” Guide Credit Card Tier List for Cash Back and Transferable points. I have to admit, I disagree with his putting of the American Express Plum Card in Tier 4, its totally in my personal tier 3 because of the whopping 3.5% cash back on your first $30k spend.
- Gary from View from the Wing shared a post on the secrets behind airport codes. I followed it up with more exhaustive post.
- Airline Reporter (among others) reported on Southwest’s new branding. When I had posted about the rumor, I thought it was only the plane, but really, Southwest is going all out, but taking their time doing it. Taking the whole picture into perspective, the livery is growing on me, but it still looks “EasyJetish.”
- One Mile at a Time had a few mistakes on Monday but a successful DYKWIA salvaged the day.
On Manufacturing Spending Opportunities
- Fishing4Deals shared a Safeway deal – Purchase two Visa or Mastercard variable load gift cards and get a coupon for $15 off your next purchase. Its not much, but it covers the purchase fee, and maybe even your T-Rate. Its good 10 September through 7 October, so there’s a likelihood of generating a bunch of free miles/points (note I haven’t had the chance to test multiple purchases myself).
- Chasing the Points was busy this week. He wrote about New Online Portals (that may even allow double dipping with gift cards), and Free Money at Staples for Bank of America users. I struck out on Bank of America though.
- George at Travel Blogger Buzz summarizes the Unfortunate fate of Amazon Payments. I have to admit though, I sure couldn’t have maintained an “Amazon Payments 4-way” with another couple for “a very long time,” but, he clearly works on his physique more than I do–which may have delayed his eulogy for Amazon Payments.
On this past Thursday
- I’m usually very quiet on this date. The memory for me, like many, still weighs heavily. Some wrote posts, some didn’t. Wandering Aramean’s post struck me as notable. That day affected many of us in different ways. I don’t think its necessarily a bad thing to be angry.
On Bucket Lists
- I’m still working on the rest of the trip report, but flying the Emirates A380 in First was top on my bucket list, feel free to take a look.
- Matt had an interesting bucket list post, not necessarily counter to my Emirates A380 post (even though I have to say, its totally awesome to shower at 40,000 feet). I have to admit, I’m starting to re-think traveling long distances for “relaxing” vacations myself, so this is timely for me.