April 6, 1926 marked the beginning of United Airlines’ with a Varney Air Lines airmail flight from Pasco, Washington to Boise Idaho. That was 90 years ago, and what United calls it’s first aviation first.
United released a press release this morning, to celebrate the airlines 90th birthday, and highlight many of the airlines aviation innovations. Including:
- 1955 – The first US airline to order jetliners.
- 1936 – Commercial Aviation’s first flight kitchen.
- A progressive maintenance program.
- 1960’s – live inflight television.
- The North American Launch customer for the 787 Dreamliner.
- The commercial use of sustainable aviation biofuel.
United Airlines also shared a video of their innovations: