The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know.
If you’re in the DC area – there is a meet-up schedule for 24 August in Crystal City, VA, hosted by Jeanne of Le Chic Geek, and Ed of Pizza in Motion – I really recommend attending events like these, it’s a great opportunity to network, which is the true force multiplier!
If you’re in Michigan this weekend – there’s a great meet-up in Ann Arbor – I wanted to make it this year but too much travel overwhelmed me. There’s a great line-up of presenters, and even more super smart people. I’m convinced that Michigan is one of those concentrated areas of mile and pointers, kind of like Austin.
- Nice happened and other bad things happened in the past couple of weeks. Whether you’re traveling in the US or abroad, it makes sense to be smart. Rapid Travel Chai shares some great tips. I’d be remiss if I didn’t admit to not having a security belt/wallet. I do however secure my back-ups elsewhere, fact is, have them. One thing that I’ve missed is blood type and insurance information. It makes perfect sense in hindsight.
- Rapid Travel Chai adds some significant value with respect to a checking account that I’ve been meaning to get. Definitely give this a read. The Charles Schwab Checking account is a favorite for travelers, due to no international fee. With a $100 credit for new customers, now is a great time. I know I’ll be jumping on this, especially with the update in the post!
Miles and Points
- United Airlines is going to give away a billion MileagePlus miles!
- Frequent Miler dives into the topic of pooling Thank You Points. My advice: Avoid the deep end.
- Did you know there’s a frequent flyer program that actually expires? Well, lately, it seems to be the saga that continues on! But when will it expire again?
Frequent Miler provides an update on his “App-No-Rama” efforts to date.
- Scott had the chance to attend Boeing’s 100th anniversary / Founder’s Day weekend. He’s got a great write-up of the event.
Farnborough International Airshow
- Last week–or was it two weeks ago?– was the bi-annual Farnborough Air Show–which is ever even year, while Paris Air Show is on the odd years. What follows is a collection of notable posts from this year’s airshow:
- Business Traveller reports that Qatar Airways has bought a 10 percent of LATAM, the airline resulting from the combination of Brazil’s TAM, and Argentina and Peru’s LAN.
- Airbus releases an A380 focused flight search engine. There are positives and negatives, but, it underscores Airbus’ continuing commitment to the Airbus.
- Asiana A380 First Class – My First World Problems
- The real winner of Costco Visa change
- Don’t make this mistake when traveling overseas
- Have you heard of D.B. Cooper?
- Review: Emirates A380 First Class Dubai to Washington, DC (Dulles)
- Review: Emirates First Class Terminal – Dubai
Note: We’ve also opened up additional slots for the Mile High Reselling Club, if you’re interested, check out the link and send us an e-mail!