Note: I’m just back from gallivanting the world, so this is likely to be lighter than usual, we’ll be back to normal next week. My apologies in advance.
Also – a special shout-out, to As the Joe Flies, fellow Saverocity blogger, and the host of the Saverocity Observation Deck, and his wife on their baby boy!
The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know!
- Ed who writes Pizza in Motion, is giving away a free travel assistant for a year, make sure you enter!
- A quick update on Indonesia waiving the fee for Visa on Arrival for US Citizens (and a bunch of others). Having just left Indonesia, I can also report, you no longer need to pay a cash fee to leave the country, either! Of course, the new airport (which is great by the way), does entice you to leave some of your hard earned money in exchange for high end duty free items. Think Sydney’s Star Alliance terminal (if you can call it that), but smaller.
- From Seth Miller, Frontier officially ceases operations from Delaware’s Wilmington Airport. What is that? Didn’t know Delaware had an airport? Let alone one served by Frontier? Yeah, about that…
- Joe, our tireless Saverocity Observation Deck host, took a break from earning and burning, and was amazed to find that the world didn’t end! I on the other hand, kicked myself for leaving my Ink Plus at home, and considered the Opportunity Costs of actually taking a vacation.
- Matt talks about the emotions of Manufacturing Spend as well.
- Oh and speaking of that, if you don’t subscribe to Doctor of Credit’s Hot Deals, you may have missed the $10 off $200 Visa Gift Cards at Staples (don’t worry, it’s Dead, Jim).
- Free-quent Flyer writes about paying your credit cards with Money Orders.
- Barclays is sending out spending bonuses! Per Doctor of Credit, check your e-mail. Even better, check Jim’s comment, in the same post!
- Chasing the Points advises – open a US Bank checking account now, before it’s too late! (ok, maybe not that dramatic…)
- Oh, but you thought he was done… Chasing the Points also posts about setting up your Amazon Allowance (I must admit, I didn’t know this existed), as a great path to meet monthly transaction minimums for bonuses, like the Better Balance Rewards card from Bank of America.
- Doctor of Credit shares that you can get 20% more AAdvantage miles when you transfer from SPG. Now instead of 25k milles for every 20k SPG points, you’ll get 30k!
- Free-quent Flyer got around to reading a book that ‘s been on my list for a while (in fact I once started it, then lost it on a trip), the $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau. It’s worth a read, but, I get the sneaky suspicion that FQF wasn’t impressed.
- Hail damaged a Delta 747 flying over China. The story goes, that the Chinese Air Traffic Control wouldn’t offer an alternate path around a storm. Either way, it sounds like this 747 is headed on a one way deadhead to a boneyard. In fact, Delta even pulled another 747 out of the desert to replace it.
- Seth Miller asks: Could this be the aircraft of the future? For a 757 replacement aircraft, it certainly makes me think of an MD-80 that has been warped and mangled around, but maybe that’s a bit harsh.
- Also from Seth – it sounds like London’s Heathrow airport might actually get that 3rd runway! Of course, if memory serves, DFW has had more for quite some time (I think 7, but allows for 4 simultaneous landings/takeoffs).
- Seth has been busy – He also had the chance to check out Emirates’ response to the US3 claims of unfair subsidies. You’ll recall, this is kind’ve an, As the Propeller Turns series, where the US3 (United, Delta, and American) are asking the US Government to do something about those pesky ME3 (Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar), who are eating their lunch.