You're such a Loser

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
The perfect spot for a ramble I hope.... I am getting close to the time where I pick a new martial arts club to train at. I have narrowed it down to 3, two are 30 minutes north of me, one 30 minutes south. I had thought of stopping training but it has been a part of my life for so long that I cannot let it go.

It is always fun walking into a new club, there is a lot of testosterone flying around, and egos are interesting things. You see, a club is a microcosm of society, with ranks and grades issued out in a hierarchical structure. There is a pegging order.

The beauty of martial arts is when you walk into a new club, you throw a cat among the pigeons. When the top guy there suddenly seems inadequate, chaos ensues. For a while I enjoyed that. Winning is great, right?

As I thought about these 3 clubs and the inevitable challenges I will face should I decide to assimilate into them, I went through a process of my first few lessons. I will attend two classes at each school, one in the Gi (Karate like uniform) and the other in No Gi - surfer attire. I thought about the dynamic, and coming from one of the biggest schools in the world how I would handle these country bumpkins. Though in fairness they may be better than me anyway.

Then I realized. I want to lose.

I have trained pretty much daily for the past 9 years, and the best classes are the ones I lose. Winning is easy. Winning is easy because you can stack the game in your favor, I could fight 4 year olds and win because they are kiddies, but what would I learn? What if they were 20? Or my own age but less experienced? Winning is pointless. Winning is empty.

Losing. Is magical.

I imagine going to these three clubs and finding one where my years of training look futile, where my skills are inadequate, where everything I do fails. If I could find this place I would be in nirvana. Imagine finding a new job where you were the worst person at your job. Imagine how amazing the solutions would be from that workplace, how much you could absorb.

Winning is for losers.

Last edited:

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Winning is for losers.
Exactly.
You'll never truly win in the end by not experiencing loss.
This goes for all things in life.

Learning things by failing and not knowing is just one of those... well... things.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
Imagine finding a new job where you were the worst person at your job. Imagine how amazing the solutions would be from that workplace, how much you could absorb.

Winning is for losers.
A friend of mine in describing his new job recently said, "it's like being the dumbest kid at Harvard."

SCC

Level 2 Member
A friend of mine in describing his new job recently said, "it's like being the dumbest kid at Harvard."
Which is interesting if you've read Malcom Gladwell's new book David & Goliath. Where it talks about the benefits of being a big fish in a small pond vs a small fish in a big pond...at least with respect to education.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Which is interesting if you've read Malcom Gladwell's new book David & Goliath. Where it talks about the benefits of being a big fish in a small pond vs a small fish in a big pond...at least with respect to education.
Probably not going to- a quick synopsis - better or worse?

SCC

Level 2 Member
Probably not going to- a quick synopsis - better or worse?
Roughly put: top x% of students in a given field would stay in field while bottom y% would leave. Example in book dealt with science majors; so if a really great student had the opportunity to go to Harvard but would be in the bottom, let's say 25% of their class vs. go to a still good, but less competitive college where they would be in the top 75% of their class there is an argument to be made they go where they will do better.

A big part of this theory is that even though they are smart and qualified and can succeed in that field if they graduate, they won't stay in the field if they're in the bottom 25%. The psychological effect of comparing themselves with the people around them drives them out. So they'd be better off going to a school where they would be at the higher end of the pool. Some very interesting numbers and examples in the book. If I recall correctly the % was roughly the same be it at Harvard or a lesser school or a lesser school than that.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So I went to a local gym tonight to train, and had to sit out 2 rounds, all that Samurai talk and it turns out 3 months of being Mr Mom has turned me into a big girls blouse.. will be back tomorrow to embarrass myself again :)

smittytabb

Staff member
So I went to a local gym tonight to train, and had to sit out 2 rounds, all that Samurai talk and it turns out 3 months of being Mr Mom has turned me into a big girls blouse.. will be back tomorrow to embarrass myself again :)
Happens to the best of us:)