WTF?? Chase Cancelled ALL My Cards Today!!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
You should review your credit report in the next couple of months to ensure this temp. cancellation is not on the record.

secret traveler

Level 2 Member
The answer they originally gave for the cancellation was - "We periodically review account and credit information for all of our customers. Based on a recent evaluation of your account and credit information, we closed your account."

thehustla

Level 2 Member
I'm very happy this was resolve. I bet you hesitate about MS now that this happened

Personally, I have 4 cards with Chase. I wouldn't want to ruin that relationship. Same with Amex.

thehawk75

I think having a Chase bank account and a direct deposit might actually be helpful in some cases.
I can assure you that this did not help in my case. In fact they nuked the bank account as well.

I spoke with 2 reps in the executive department, they were unable to reinstate my accounts.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Those with Chase checking/savings accounts, I would definitely not have them show a trace of MS or you could be next on their hit list. It's just not worth it...

Use other bank accounts for your MS activities. Preferably with a bank that doesn't have any good credit cards.

A rule that I follow: Keep your asset and debt accounts at different financial institutions.
So, if you have Chase credit cards, don't keep an active checking account with them. Use a checking account from another institution. You make it too easy for the bank to take the money out of checking and apply to the debt accounts.

thehawk75

FWIW, I never used Chase bank accounts for MS deposits (ie MVD cash advance, MO deposit, etc). Also never even did much MS with Chase cards either. Only time was during OMX 'discount money' sales (i.e. $20 off $250 in VGC's or what have you). For all other times, I always thought the profit margins on IB/IP cards were too thin to be paying $206.95 for $200). Especially when at the time you had OBC throwing off money like a trust fund baby, and a both a certain grocery store chain, and a drug store chain selling fee free debit cards.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Chase Ink was great when Staples was part of VSE (1% for $200+ purchases). And when Staples was a Plink merchant.

thehawk75

I had the MC versions of said cards, and, was all cancelled out prior to having a chance to sign up for the Visa versions.

But, had the above been applicable to me, then yes I would have been more inclined.

secret traveler

Level 2 Member
Not only did they re-instate my cards but I applied for the Chase Ink Plus with the 60k UR bonus and was originally denied. Reason: "previous unsatisfactory relationship with this bank."

So I called the business reconsideration line and after a long conversation was approved for $5K CL.

So they take my cards away, then re-instate me and THEN approve me for another card! Don't you love this game?!!

jbxx

Good to know how useful the executive phone number is, congrats again. Still strange that their systems did this

thehustla

Level 2 Member
Weirdest call ever. I applied for a new Chase card. Didn't get instantly approved so I called recon yesterday. After the analyst came back on the line after putting me on hold, he said they were not able to approve me because my purchases don't match every month. He suspected me of buying gift cards and doing "manufactured spending". I played it stupid but I'm surprised they would even be allowed to bring that up.
I have applied for a few chase cards in the last 6 months, 4 of them getting approved. He asked me why am I applying for so many cards at once.
At this point, no more Chase apps for a while. I'll give recon another shot, possibly to move some credit around.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Weirdest call ever. I applied for a new Chase card. Didn't get instantly approved so I called recon yesterday. After the analyst came back on the line after putting me on hold, she said they were not able to approve me because my purchases don't match every month. He suspected me of buying gift cards and doing "manufactured spending". I played it stupid but I'm surprised they would even be allowed to bring that up.
I have applied for a few chase cards in the last 6 months, 4 of them getting approved. He asked me why am I applying for so many cards at once.
At this point, no more Chase apps for a while. I'll give recon another shot, possibly to move some credit around.
Sorry, but was the analyst a she or he? Did analyst morph genders in mid-call?? :confused:

EDIT: But seriously, I asked because a well known male analyst for Chase Ink, named Jason, has a reputation for being pretty damn rude calling new signees out for MSing... Maybe you got him.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
EDIT: But seriously, I asked because a well known male analyst for Chase Ink, named Jason, has a reputation for being pretty damn rude calling new signees out for MSing... Maybe you got him.
It was for a personal card but if you're right, this could possibly be the female/male version of Jason.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was a he or she lol

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
lol
My bad. It was a he. Excuse my typos.
LOL

You met the "friendly" analyst. I forgot his name. There were many reports of people getting him when attempting a recon call. He looks through your whole file and not only calls you out... but he also puts all the information down on the account for when you call to get another person.

Next time be upfront, their team isn't stupid.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
I honestly don't really care if they give me the card or not.
What I'm worried about is for them to flag my account or something and HORRIBLY get all my accounts closed :(

KennyBSAT

Staff member
100 percent of datapoints over the past year or so suggest that the best course of action is to let the application be processed normally, and NOT call Chase recon unless you are denied.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Also note. Don't be like OP and open a massive amount of cards. Seriously? IHG? Hyatt? CSP? etc. Risk analysts flag your account and shut you down.

I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that a wealthy guy on another forum was a CPC and got into the "points" game. IIRC. It was 5-6 cards in less than a year and they shut down everything. His CPC guy didn't even know what to do as they closed that account too. He finally got his accounts back... But all in all, Chase doesn't like when you open a ton of cards in a short amount of time. Doesn't matter how much money you have with them.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Also note. Don't be like OP and open a massive amount of cards. Seriously? IHG? Hyatt? CSP? etc. Risk analysts flag your account and shut you down.

I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that a wealthy guy on another forum was a CPC and got into the "points" game. IIRC. It was 5-6 cards in less than a year and they shut down everything. His CPC guy didn't even know what to do as they closed that account too. He finally got his accounts back... But all in all, Chase doesn't like when you open a ton of cards in a short amount of time. Doesn't matter how much money you have with them.
Exactly! I have almost 20 open rewards credit card accounts but only have 3 Chase cards and 2 of those are the Southwest cards for the CP. This is with knowing that Chase usually has the best signing bonuses. I restrict myself and DW to just a few of them to stay under their radar.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
Also note. Don't be like OP and open a massive amount of cards.
Don't open a massive amount of cards... with the same bank. There nothing wrong with applying for multiple accounts, but it's good to spread it out with multiple banks.

Also, not sure is 4 cards is "massive amount".

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Don't open a massive amount of cards... with the same bank. There nothing wrong with applying for multiple accounts, but it's good to spread it out with multiple banks.

But in what time frame? You were going for 5 Chase cards in the last how many months?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja

No. This applies to cards in general.

You don't think that AMEX, Chase and other lenders don't SP you to check up on you? I just checked my annual CR and I see AR's from multiple lenders. Nothing risky there other than my HP's reappearing on TU.

I said elsewhere in this forum as well, there is a certain address out of FL to look out for. If you see it on your CR, you better start moving UR's/MR's etc.

4 of them within the last year. Yes, this would've been 5.
I would relax it a bit... Last thing you want is a shut down.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
I said elsewhere in this forum as well, there is a certain address out of FL to look out for. If you see it on your CR, you better start moving UR's/MR's etc.
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? Do you mean the address shown on SP on your CR?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? Do you mean the address shown on SP on your CR?
IIRC it's an address out of Florida. The El Paso, TX ones are good signs.

I'll have to go dig through old posts to find the information again.