World Vision/Children International/Child Aid

sriki

Level 2 Member
We are thinking about donating to/sponsoring a kid through a charity. We looked at World Vision, CI, Child Aid. We checked Charity Navigator and GuideStar for all 3. TBT, we do not know the best metric to base a charity on.

1. Finances
2. Type of work
3. Religious affliations

Since we are new to giving & want to make sure the money is "well spent", I would appreciate if anyone who has more experience in this area could take a quick look and give a suggestion or two.

http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/95-1922279/world-vision.aspx
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4768

It looks like WV is also a religious institution. However, we do not care for religious affiliations or the lack thereof. We would like charities to be non-discriminatory towards everyone but it would not stop us giving a hand to someone in need. If there are better organizations that any consider better than WV/CI/CA and spends more resources helping kids, we would definitely like to know.

Thanks for any help.

sriki

Level 2 Member
We decided to go with Children International and sponsor a little girl. Here's to some hope that this would impact the kid's life in a positive and meaningful way.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
Awesome! We have sponsored several children throughout the years and feel it's a great way to make a direct, positive impact on children in less fortunate situations around the world.

WV is a great organization, I volunteered at their big warehouse several times in Denver several years back.

One of my colleagues at work has started a charity(non profit) in India. The charity helps old people with eye problems to undergo surgery. Can I add the charity name to the list ? Not mentioning the name as I want to understand the criteria for donating to charity first.

sriki

Level 2 Member
One of my colleagues at work has started a charity(non profit) in India. The charity helps old people with eye problems to undergo surgery. Can I add the charity name to the list ? Not mentioning the name as I want to understand the criteria for donating to charity first.
Was that intended for a different thread?