WN Devaluation?

pillow25

Level 2 Member
Cue speculation. I'm booking all WN travel before April then...

Code:
https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/rr-program-update.html?CLK=RRRADS2&RMID=L_150212_RRR&RRID=ZXJpY2RhaTQ1QGdtYWlsLmNvbQ..&src=MAILRRDREPT000RRR150212&RR_NUMBER=c96072cc96782e0ca4720bce5f71f9c830e571b6&RSD=4623

sriki

Level 2 Member
drag...I hate this move. Based on how often I fly WN and how often I change flights, this is bad news.

projectx

Level 2 Member
"The number of Rapid Rewards Points needed to redeem for certain flights will vary based on destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare class, and other factors."

How is this different than the current set up? Redemptions are based on the price of a ticket. For example, flying to Orlando on a Saturday in March requires a lot more points than a weekday in September for the same reasons listed above. Obviously I'm missing something here. Does this just mean they are going to a more structured system?

MK17

Love to Travel
"The number of Rapid Rewards Points needed to redeem for certain flights will vary based on destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare class, and other factors."

How is this different than the current set up? Redemptions are based on the price of a ticket. For example, flying to Orlando on a Saturday in March requires a lot more points than a weekday in September for the same reasons listed above. Obviously I'm missing something here. Does this just mean they are going to a more structured system?[/QUOTE

I believe the way it works now is that for lets say the Wanna Get Away fares, WN charges 70 points per dollar value of the ticket). That means a $100 ticket will cost you 7000 points. With the new change that multiplier could / will be different depending on the flight/date/time.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Sounds like some peak times and dates will have adjusted (lower) points values. Don't mess with the cancellation policy that allows unlimited speculative bookings, or the companion pass, and I'm fine with that.

projectx

Level 2 Member
I believe the way it works now is that for lets say the Wanna Get Away fares, WN charges 70 points per dollar value of the ticket). That means a $100 ticket will cost you 7000 points. With the new change that multiplier could / will be different depending on the flight/date/time.
Right, I get all that, but again... that's basically how they are currently set up. Search any popular destination during your area's typical spring break for...

1. A Saturday departure
2. A midweek departure
3. That same route in September (ignoring Labor Day weekend)

You will find wildly different point redemptions, because of the price. That price is determined by demand, which is all determined by destination, time of year, day of the week, etc.

Unless, as Kenny mentions, the flight that used to be 70 points/$ will now be 80 points/$? So not only are you going to have to use a lot of points because the price to travel on that high demand day, but now they're worth less too?

Route A (assuming 70 pts/$)
non-peak: $300 or 21,000 points
peak: $400 or 28,000 points.

This route, assuming a 10pt/$ "peak tax" will now be 32,000 points?

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I know when the schedule opened up for WN flying to Cancun I booked a long weekend for my wife and I for something like ~22,000 points round trip in October. I have the CP so my wife flys for free. Two people to CUN for 22,000 points R/T from California is a steal.

Unfortunately, we had to cancel the trip and rebooked for May. Now that same trip is ~36,000 points - still not a bad deal for two people.

My guess is that the multiplier will go up (80 or 90 pts per $???) on the international flights as a baseline like Projectx demonstrated.

pillow25

Level 2 Member
I think the best case scenario:

Domestic flights (within continental US) 70 pts / $

International (destination outside continental US): > 70 pts / $

Thoughts??

projectx

Level 2 Member
I think the best case scenario:

Domestic flights (within continental US) 70 pts / $

International (destination outside continental US): > 70 pts / $
Best case scenario would be that they would at least state what those values are, instead of "um... yeah... it's gonna be more than 70 pts... we'll figure that out as we go along".

I did my part and sent a nastygram via their website. Make your voices heard folks. This vague description is total bs and no way to treat your so called "valued" RR members.

What really makes me mad is SW offers the most non-stop routes to cities I plan on traveling to in the next couple years. My only other option is... wait for it... Delta. :mad:

Madelyn

Level 2 Member
Supposedly another email should be on the way to us on Thursday (just heard some whispers), with more info??