With the devAAluation looming...

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
#1
I have CX J on hold for a trip to Cambodia from US for 55k.

But it's not for the dates I want. Given the coach award miles are not changing, I am thinking if I should book a coach instead. It's a typical dilemma for most if they have to downgrade from J to coach and pay $150 for this change on the dates they want.

In two minds deciding F and take a risk or just book coach and be merry. Never been on CX F, so thought I would try before the devaluation next week.

What would you do? Do you go ahead and buy F seat and redeem 55k now for a random date, then hope award space opens up on desired date? I am not too hopeful since it's a Dec trip. Thoughts?
 

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
#2
If you can't fly F, what class of service do you want to fly? I know that I would fly C on CX (an excellent product) before I flew Y. Why not keep the C ticket and hope to adjust dates as travel draws closer?
 

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
#3
If you can't fly F, what class of service do you want to fly? I know that I would fly C on CX (an excellent product) before I flew Y. Why not keep the C ticket and hope to adjust dates as travel draws closer?
Wanted to fly C. Can't fly F due to lack of availability. Same reason for C. At least I saw availability for C on CX but not for the dates I wanted. The agent told me that I go ahead and book it now and hope that there'll release more C seats closer to the date and make the switch. But then that's risky if I can't find seats for the dates I wanted. After 22nd, C class will change from 55k to 70k.

I have a choice to forget abt C and just book Y for the desired date or take chance and book C far from desired date now. Was wondering which is a better option or is there an option.
 

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
#4
Usually I've had decent luck with CX J opening near the date of travel. But this is a bit different. Given the devaluation and people burning all their miles (see above), combined with the holiday season, I would doubt there will be a lot of seats open up close to the trip.

Are you flying via LAX, with their 4 flights a day (or 3? I can't recall)? I'd book through there if possible for better odds.

Did you look at JL F or J as an option? It is very comparable in product, and I like their J seat better than CX.

Is a downgrade to coach really $150? I thought they would just refund your miles.
 

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
#5
used one easy trick to grab otherwise unavailable CX space that only works for some... very specific sorts of things
What does any of your post have to do with the OP's question? And OP can't find space, then you try to brag about some trick you know in his own thread and not share with him how to find the space. I don't get it.
 
Last edited:

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
#6
The only 'trick" I seem to recall from a while back, and I am not sure it still works, was to reserve CX using BA Avios as BA opens the calendar some 30 days farther than AA does, and then cancel once the AA calendar catches up and hope the seat gets put back into the pool and call AA immediately to get it. Don't know if that is what AGS is referencing or not though
 
#7
Sorry, didn't have enough coffee in me when I psoted and thought OP was asking 'what are you holding in anticipation of the devaluation', not 'how do I fix my holds'. Sorry!!!
 
Top