Why you shouldn’t sign up for every credit card sign up bonus you hear about

asthejoeflies

Staff member

I think the credit card and travel hacking game can be dangerous for a variety of reasons. One of the most dangerous can also be one the most subtle. For lack of a better term, I’ll call it “internet peer pressure.” Even if you don’t overspend to meet credit card sign up bonuses and pay off your balances monthly, there exists an inherent pressure from the blogosphere to be signing up for every single credit card sign up bonus that comes around. When I started this game, I always felt I HAD to have the newest, best credit card sign up bonuses out there. It starts off simply, but like I said, it’s very subtle. I think a lot of travel credit card enthusiasts go through phases along these lines:

Four Phases of Travel Credit Card Enthusiasts

Phase 1: Hmm, should I dip my toe into this credit card rewards thing?

In Phase 1, you’re still not convinced that applying for credit cards regularly won’t hurt your credit. You dip your toe into the pool by getting a card, probably a Chase Sapphire Preferred because you’ve heard about it ad nauseum. For some people, you’ll take one trip with those points, but for others…

Phase 2: Establishing a credit card application rhythm

If you continue on, you start getting a good handle on how often you can apply for credit cards, and fall into a predictable rhythm of adding one, two, or more new cards every couple months. Maybe you double or triple the number of trips you take in a year, and you really get into the swing of earning miles and points regularly through sign up bonuses. Now lots of people stop at Phase 1, but I think for most people in Phase 2 you end up at…

Phase 3: You really want to sign up for more credit cards but there are no good signup bonuses left so you just chase that next bonus

I think I hit Phase 3 about 2-3 years into the game. I had exhausted most of the “great” sign up bonuses but I felt like I had to still sign up for new cards every three months so I started applying for good, not great sign up bonuses. I’d convince myself mentally that I “needed” these cards even though I had no uses for the miles or they belonged to obscure programs. Hopefully for those who enter Phase 3, like myself, they enter Phase 4:

Phase 4: You realize that you should only be earning the miles that you plan to spend, and that almost everyone in this space is trying to sell you credit cards

Have a plan for your miles and points. Earn the miles you plan to spend. Once I finally burned that into my brain, I stopped chasing sign up bonuses. I then coupled this with my realization of the fact that all the “buzz” about every single new and “amazing” credit card sign up bonus out there results at least in some part from people who are trying to sell you said credit card.

Understanding the internet’s role in making you want to sign up for new credit cards

I’m not trying to be critical here, though I’m not trying to defend anyone either. But I’ll just speak for myself, even my blog and social media, which receives no compensations from banks for credit card conversions, contributes to the “buzz” behind cards. That’s because when my friend tells me they just bought a $1500 dollar snowblower my automatic reaction is “you should have signed up for a new credit card.”

Of course, this just perpetuates the notion that all spend should be going towards meeting credit card sign up bonus minimums. And if you’re in Phase 2, that’s almost definitely correct!

BUT. You get to a point where all of a sudden you are chasing points in programs that you don’t have a plan for. So, you may be earning more points, but if you don’t use them, maybe you should have just used them for regular spend on one of the cards you already have.

Even though we want to, we still don’t travel as much as we’d like to with these three in tow

Factor in the fact that the minority of the community, at least on the blogs, warns you to consider how “lifecycle effects” (copyright Free-quent Flyer) has changed your travel habits. My wife and I flew internationally 5 times a year before our first child, now our goal is 2 international trips a year.

Whenever a new credit card comes out, everyone gets excited, and rightfully so! I really wanted the Hilton Aspire card and I really want the new Iberia card. But the reality is I haven’t redeemed a single Hilton point or Avios (Avio?) for over two years). So as much as I want shiny new cards, it’s tough to say I can actually use those miles and points.

Whenever a new card comes out, 90% of blogs will write about it, travel hacking Twitter will blow up, and if it’s big enough, even your mom will ask you about it. It’s tough not to buckle under that kind of pressure, especially when the bonus is legitimately good. But I do my best to remember to ask myself: Am I thinking about my actual spending (of miles) habits when I fall for the buzz for new credit cards?

Orphaned Points – My Hall of Shame

I reached Phase 3 right around lifecycle effects dictated a restriction on my travel. So, I have a personal hall of shame, orphaned points I need to get rid of. I thought it’d be fun to share my sources of shame and how I plan to get rid of them.

Radisson Rewards (~140,000 points)

Earned via: Club Carlson credit card sign ups back in the day

Reason for shame: Still haven’t used a single point. Had a stay booked right before the extra free night expired but we ended up canceling.

Plan for use: Since I plan on starting to book two rooms in the foreseeable future, we should use this on our next domestic vacation.

Alaska Airlines (~150,000 miles)

Earned via: a couple of BofA Alaska Airlines cards plus some old Virgin America Points

Reason for shame: Alaska Airlines felt like a great idea. We love Seattle, we love flying Cathay to Hong Kong, and hey maybe we could even fly Emirates. But it turns out when we had kids we actually realized we don’t like traveling without them! (Except for once or twice). I also didn’t book using AS for our last trip to Hong Kong because I wanted the flexibility to change dates and times from AA.

Plan for use: No active plans.
May just burn them on domestic AA flights.

I should just bite the bullet and use my Alaska miles for AA flights…if they ever open award space
Merrill Edge Points (~50,000 points)

Earned via: Merril Edge+ BofA card sign up bonus

Reason for shame: I guess I’m not ashamed of this, but I am reminding myself I need to use these points for my next flights

Plan for use: My next domestic flights

Final Thoughts

Remember, you don’t need to sign up for every credit card sign up bonus! Be sure to evaluate your miles and points needs and make your decisions accordingly. If you travel all the time, this probably applies less to you, but if you’ve got a growing family like mine, make sure you at least consider exercising discipline in your overall strategy.

Also, I’m sure some of you have orphaned points and your own hall of shame, so I’d love to hear about them in the comments!

Never miss a post! Subscribe below and receive an e-mail once a day for new posts from asthejoeflies. Also, follow our family adventures on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Subscribe to asthejoeflies

First Name

Email Address

Continue reading...

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I think it's funny that you refer to 140K and 150K buckets as orphan points. I use that term for the multitude of reward buckets that I have that range from 1437 HIlton Honors points to 9,432 United miles. These are miles that I've earned but cannot use currently. They occasionally haunt me because I refused to consider them useless.

But your point is well-taken. When I started this hobby 5 years ago, one of our first CCs was Bank of Hawaii's Hawaiian Airlines CC. My husband has 40,000 points that have sat around unused since he first earned them with that first CC. We live on the East Coast so getting to Hawaii is a butt-numbing load of hours. We've focused on Europe, Caribbean and Latin America by virtue of our geography. Flying to the middle of the Pacific Ocean for a 7-day trip isn't my idea of a vacation. So those miles just sit unused, since I refuse to use them for anything other their their sweet spot of inter-island travel. Plus I have to keep on top of their expiration day every year or so. Getting that Hawaiian Airlines CC was a dumb rookie mistake.

Last edited:

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Flying to the middle of the Pacific Ocean for a 10 day trip isn't my idea of a vacation
My wife would disagree, and I would too but less adamantly :). We're in CLE, so we're only an hour or 2 less that what you would need to get there. We've been to Hawaii twice and both times have been great experiences. We will go again, even though we've already tackled both National Parks and checked them off our list. Hawaii is also the logical stepping stone to get to American Samoa with another US National Park. Not everyone follows a NP checklist, but even without parks Hawaii (and Samoa) are cool places.

Interestingly, we never used our Hawaii miles to get there or back. We did do a couple of intra-island trips, and with too many miles to spare, one in J (for 50 minutes :)). These miles did help us cover the relatively expensive, longish (5+ hours) flight in coach to American Samoa (from HNL). We've had a total of 3 CC's between us and still have 30k miles in the bank. This isn't enough (nor is 40k) to cover a complete trip, but IMO opinion, Hawaii is worth the hours (although we have made each trip a 2-week, 16+ day experience). I certainly respect your opinion that it's not.

I held 250k BA miles for the longest time and was thinking I'd never find a way to use them. I still have 113k and the miles I have spent since have been worth their weight in gold. I know I can find uses for the 113k remaining. Our 30k HA miles don't have a purpose unless we do get back to Hawaii, but I'll maintain them just in case.

I'm with you, though. I just had 275 SPG points expire from my account (my wife's is the active one). And I was upset. Not quite as upsetting was my < 1k Aeroplan miles that expired. I did get annoyed when 26k of LAN KM went away unexpectedly (each, from 2 accounts), as I had plans for those and that's a big chunk. This was more of a personal mistake not understanding how these work .. but 150k is something I'd find a use for.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We need to have a separate discussion about American Samoa! I am very intrigued with the place, especially in view of planning for those Hawaiian miles. I cannot tell if it is worth making a trip there. Is it paradise or a US-impacted ecological mess?

We do have a NP checklist, as well as a UNESCO WH checklist. We're thinking of ticking off the Canadian NPs as well, since we love visiting Canada.

We are retiring in a few years and planning to move to the West Coast so we are focusing on East Coast destinations right now.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
We need to have a separate discussion about American Samoa! I am very intrigued with the place, especially in view of planning for those Hawaiian miles. I cannot tell if it is worth making a trip there. Is it paradise or a US-impacted ecological mess?
My wife thought we'd be bored when I opted for 4 days on American Samoa instead of 3 (flights only went back and forth twice a week at the time). But we had a great time. The park itself was a disconnected collection of pieces parts but had some nice hikes. It was an interesting place with great deserted beaches. I'm glad we did it, but we would not go back (partly because it's so logistically challenging) A million stray dogs which was a bit sad. It's in my trip reports if you want more detail. I think I PM'd the URL, but can always do so again.

We do have a NP checklist, as well as a UNESCO WH checklist. We're thinking of ticking off the Canadian NPs as well, since we love visiting Canada.
We hit any UNESCO site we can, but to say we have a checklist ... well, there are so many and we've seen so few as a percentage. And the official list keeps growing! As far as Canada goes, we've been to Waterton on our visit to Glacier NP but have other Canadian Rocky Mountain parks on our want list.

PS - And I keep trying to ask if you made it to Cleveland and what you thought. Again, another separate discussion.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
Good post, I've had a lot of "lifestyle effects" recently. I buckled down to a job that has limited vacation. I got married, have a kid. This all happened as I honed my churning activities. I still speculatively sign up for credit cards, but I am hesitant to sign up for credit cards with large annual fees. I'm looking at you Hilton Aspire. I am also more careful to not pay any annual fees when my first year is up. I recently canceled both of our IHG cards. I know its only a $49 annual fee, but we ended up not using either of the certificates last year and had to give them away to friends and family. I plan to sign up for the IHG card again here soon and score the points again. I'm specutively signing up for AA cards as they are giving out bonuses like candy right now with no fee first year. And now that there are 3 of us. 3 rt tickets in Cathay Biz class to Asia will cost 420k AA miles. I've got a large stash of miles and points (3 million). I give some away to friends and family to have them join us on trips and such. I'll keep signing up for the best cards, I am just more careful about taking annual fees, especially large annual fees. These days I am more focused on cash signups. I signed up for the Schwab Platinum ($550 fee, I know) and converted 200k MR into $2500 cash. I signed up for the WF Propel World. Will net me $400 cash plus the $100 per yr x2 airline credit. I keep a spreadsheet will all of my redemptions. It looks like in the first 3 months of the year I've already used 530k points worth around $8k or so. My warning, be careful taking on annual fees. The sneak up on your. I found that I was paying the annual fee on two Chase Ink, two IHG, and two BofA AS cards yearly plus any signups that didn't waive the annual fee for the first year.

As for my Orphaned points, funny you should mention Radisson Rewards. I'm sitting on a stash of 480k. I used the points one time for a crappy radission in a small town in Iquique, Chile. Havent used them since. I'm sure I will if I can ever fit in a European Vacation.

Hey, I even donated some Lufthansa miles to miles4migrants.