Why I Will Not Sign Up For the Citi AAdvantage Business Card

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member

In the last few weeks, there have been tons of talk about quickly making an easy American Airlines AAdvantage miles from signing up for the Citi cards as well as the Barclay’s US Airways cards. I briefly considered one of the personal Citi cards, but recently downgraded the one I had following Kenny’s advice for a Dividend card while it is still available.

Business Cards That I Have:

• Bank Of America Alaska Airlines
  • Chase Ink Bold
  • American Express Starwood Preferred Guest and Blue for Business
I will not add a fifth business card. I like to sign up for credit cards that I know I’ll have a future use because that is part of my strategy. I reevaluate that strategy constantly as part of my long range plans and even if they were there originally it can change as well.

Why I Will Not Sign Up:

The reason I will not sign up for a Citi Business credit card is because there is no downgrade option. The ability to product change into something else if the original card doesn’t work out is my compelling factor to consider signing up for a card.

I had the personal Alaska Airlines credit card and it didn’t work out the way I wanted it to so I took the advice found on Doctor of Credit to change my personal Alaska Airlines card. I really wanted a Better Balance Rewards card, but had to settle for a Travel Rewards. Because of the limited options, I don’t want to have a hard pull on my report that will last for two years for a card that I will benefit after the sign up bonus. Having card would be nice where the spend does not have an affect my credit utilization is definitely nice. But is the hard pull worth 53,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles? I’m sure it is for some people, but that’s not part of my strategy. I don’t manufacture spend on cards that earn at a 1x rate often and Citi imposes cash advances on nearly all of the best online methods. The American Express cards that I earn with 1x offer other advantages like points transfer ability, AMEX Sync offers, a 30% yearly dividend (Blue for business), and OPEN savings come to the top of my head.

Continue reading...