Why I don't know my Net Worth, and neither should you

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I have a rough idea of our Net Worth, but it could be off by a fair amount, perhaps even as much as $50,000 depending on the day and my memory. It's not that I am crazy rich here, but some days I forget to count in a retirement account or three that I set up some time ago, and the numbers fluctuate due to this.

There is a belief that knowledge is power, but I think otherwise. Some data causes more harm when too readily available. I personally hate the idea of Brokerage accounts having smartphone Apps. I do have a few of these, and remember back to the days where I would trade single stocks that I would constantly hit refresh to get the latest price notification, up a penny and a green ticker made me happy, down a penny made me sad..

Sure I could say that I didn't mind the swings, but I would still catch myself checking this, it was on my brain, and being there stopped my brain doing other things.

Small Circles
I coined the term small circles for events where your brain is tracking on a narrow, endless loop. I first caught myself showing small circle thinking when I have stopped and caught myself procrastinating, in a what if, but what if scenario (that loops back to the same problem). It is a functional breakdown that stems perhaps from an emotional attachment to a certain event. I see tracking of data too closely creating this small loop thinking. Incidentally, I didn't realize how damaging it was to productivity until I saw people with mental health problems aggressively displaying this loop behavior.

If you have too much irrelevant data that you have too much emotional investment in you create and foster a small loop mindset. If you check stock results by hitting F5 and are constantly balancing and rebalancing you have trapped creativity and can't focus on the big picture, earning more cash.

I'm not saying stuff every dime under the mattress
But there is some sense to it. Many of the most successful business people I have met aren't good money managers - they earn a ton, and just earn more and more. When they get wiser (tireder) they start thinking smart about setting up legal structures and tax advantages, but it is quite often the case that their single minded, big loop approach to earning, rather than worrying about efficiency or results got them over the threshold of success.

The Advisor Solution
I know that when I say Net Worth isn't relevant, and admit to not having a proper, to the penny grasp of mine, it could make me look like a bad Advisor. Who would want to work with someone who doesn't even really know their own Net Worth? I think the answer is simple. At some point in time you need that complete financial analysis and explore all your asset allocations in relation to age, income and risk tolerance. I think also, you should keep an eye on your allocations periodically. But if the market isn't really swinging one way or the other, you are probably in good enough shape to not worry about rebalancing more than once every 6-12 months.

When you do rebalance, your Net Worth doesn't really matter, often times people ballpark their property value in this, and it skews things incredibly. You should instead have an investment strategy in place, and focus on that. If it goes out of whack then adjust, but you shouldn't be checking for adjustments every day. In fact, that's something that an Advisor could well do for you (or equally a Robo Advisor).

The real problem with Net Worth is not that knowing a number causes harm, but that you can get trapped in small circles, worrying about a blip up or a blip down, none of which really matters providing you have a strategy in place, and none of which you can control. Once you get trapped into that small circle thinking you stop progressing towards your big circle life goals.

The worst of all though, is to stop producing new income and instead start patting yourself on the back too soon, which is easy to do if you don't have a big circle goal, and you see a small circle peak. When that happens, you stop earning and start gloating over a 'result' that in the big picture is just variance, and once you fall off the earning cycle and start instead watching that result for movement, you just ruined any hopes of achieving real financial success.

So, I don't really worry about Net Worth, and I suggest you don't either, unless you are making that plan for the first time, or monitoring it on an very infrequent basis, free your mind of the emotions and let it create much bigger opportunities for you.

Last edited:

Turnpike

Level 2 Member
Stop making more reason for me to read the forum.

While I understand the merit of this post, I feel like I just attended a seminar to buy into a time share.

Fortension

Level 2 Member
I agree, to an extent. Spending a lot of time tracking investments will lead to poor results for most people for various behavioral reasons.

But my wife and I still do an annual calculation so we can see the various accounts, how much is in each, and roughly what kind of investments are in each. It's a "what if I get hit by a bus" overview. We think it's a good practice, especially since only one of us is actively looking at the values. We think it's a good practice.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
There is a big difference between computing ones net worth and moment-by-moment portfolio monitoring.

I think that lots of people would benefit by doing a NW statement once a year, if for no other reason it is an opportunity to think about what they have, what they owe, and what they may want (paid off house? college fund? FU money?). Similar benefits to doing a budget. Where the budget is the planned P&L, the NW statement is your balance sheet. Both are worthy of your attention from time to time.

Of course, I am the guy who has 10 years of NW data in my spreadsheet, the last few years on a monthly basis.

Less useful but a guilty pleasure (or displeasure) is my google doc with the portfolio that calcs day-to-day changes (and YTD, YoY). Self updates at the end of the day (all index funds) no f5 required.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Fully agree with your approach. I was a bank regulator, but don't balance my checkbook.

As an examiner, there were two approaches: 1) worry about balancing to the penny and know where every penny comes from and 2) is is material and will it make a difference? There is a place for both types of personalities; however, the ones the balance to the penny are the technicians, while others the ones who prioritize based on significance are the strategists.

So while I check my net worth regularly, I sit through the swings without worrying about it. Instead determine if there is an opportunity? Identify potential risks or weaknesses and see if you can fix them.

In other words, will that penny make or break you? If not, then it's probably time to move on.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I think that we share similar approaches here folks, I do look in at periodic times to rebalance, but I don't look daily/weekly/monthly. Also it is worth noting that maturity matters when it comes to this, if you are experienced with your money and managing the lows then it is less risky to peek at it frequently. My concern though is that if you take satisfaction from checking in on it there must be a Ying to that Yang and if it goes poorly it might in turn cast negative emotions - but if you can manage it then its all good.

I actually got this mindset from a hardcore sales job I held. We had a leaderboard in the center of the office. There were times when you would see very large sales totals that equated to serious bonus checks - but I found if I stopped to look at myself at the top of the board and start spending the money the next opportunity would never arise, so I ignored it when I was at the top, and used it to motivate me if I was ever not there. It worked for me!

ajcp

Level 2 Member
I think that we share similar approaches here folks, I do look in at periodic times to rebalance, but I don't look daily/weekly/monthly. Also it is worth noting that maturity matters when it comes to this, if you are experienced with your money and managing the lows then it is less risky to peek at it frequently. My concern though is that if you take satisfaction from checking in on it there must be a Ying to that Yang and if it goes poorly it might in turn cast negative emotions - but if you can manage it then its all good.
I think this is true for the majority of people. Who knows how many stories there are about people who moved their 401ks away from equities in 2009 and missed the upturn. Some people are better off having everything automated.

Ideally, you shouldn't put your head in the sand, but I don't think you need to check every day. Once a month is reasonable (although definitely not necessary), as long as you realize that there will be a lot of drastic fluctuations and don't make decision based on a bad month (or even a bad year).

Badassity

Level 2 Member
From a financial perspective I look forward to the end of the month so I can update the net worth portion of my extensive financial tracking spreadsheet. Though I don't pay any attention to how much is our new contributions or capital gains/losses. It's just because I love to track things. There is plenty of minutiae in that spread sheet but not on the NW tab. Just enough data to take a look back in history to see where I was when. And then there is the forecast portion on that tab. If I continue contributing xx, next year we can expect to be here (not including market gains/losses).

It helps me stay motivated and if I fall off track with savings I look for milestones. 750k, 800k, 1M etc. Last year I got inspired to save a $100k of our net income in one year to hit a big threshold. It doesn't leave much wiggle room in our basic spending and I'm not actually going to make it (kind of close though) but I wouldn't have thought to increase savings if I hadn't seen that marker to aim for.

It makes for more conscious spending.

And I always need a goal.

I'm still past the milestone because forward projections didn't include the market appreciation. Then I looked ahead to see what other number to aim for and when I could anticipate getting there.

All that said, I'm looking forward to another market crash. I actually get a bit disappointed when I hear about gains.

Index funds only and I try to stay on autopilot buying a fixed dollar amount on a fixed day each month. I try not to peek at the prices because they don't matter. So every time I'm wishing for a correction. I know I am okay with having a lower milestone than one I've already passed before.

Badassity

Level 2 Member
Of course, I am the guy who has 10 years of NW data in my spreadsheet, the last few years on a monthly basis.

Less useful but a guilty pleasure (or displeasure) is my google doc with the portfolio that calcs day-to-day changes (and YTD, YoY). Self updates at the end of the day (all index funds) no f5 required.
Haha! I love this. I don't track day to day changes.
Self updating? I'm so behind the times and technology. I manually update my excel spreadsheet.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Take a look at google docs. the =googlefinance(ticker) function is pretty sweet, and if you read the help page it will give you a bunch of other metrics it can pull. I don't keep a log of the daily changes, but at 6PM or so I open the spreadsheet and see what happened. Now having the market drop 2% on the last day of the month wiped away all of the savings I had for the month (and then some), which made my monthly update this morning a bit sad. Given that I had been on a 5 month in the green streak I can't complain about a bit of red. We'll see what August brings.

Badassity

Level 2 Member
I'll check google docs, thanks for the recommendation. I can't imagine starting from scratch though. I've been tracking pretty much everything money/FIRE related since 2006.

With the google finance ticker... You have to enter how many shares you have? Or is it linked directly to your accounts?

I haven't looked at my accounts yet today even though I heard the news yesterday. I'd be tempted to buy...

Sesq

Level 2 Member
I enter the number of shares. I get paid weekly so whenever I remember I update my shares held in my 401(k) since that sees regular investment.

I have a 60-tab offline spreadsheet that I still poke around with (many tabs are historical stuff), but on-line, anywhere access is seductive. Initially my google doc spreadsheet was the "light" version. Overtime I moved more and more over. Now the offline version is pretty much only used when I want to look at old stuff or do my taxes.

Badassity

Level 2 Member
60 tabs!. That almost made me get off my ass and go check how many I have. Not even close I think. Well, now that I think of it.... Maybe.

I'm for sure going to check it out.

But... I don't have/want a cell phone. And can't access wifi while I'm at work. So I don't know if the allure would be there.

I remember not so long ago when I was convinced I'd never become obsolete with regards to tech....

Sooner

Level 2 Member
Fully agree with your approach. I was a bank regulator, but don't balance my checkbook.

As an examiner, there were two approaches: 1) worry about balancing to the penny and know where every penny comes from and 2) is is material and will it make a difference? There is a place for both types of personalities; however, the ones the balance to the penny are the technicians, while others the ones who prioritize based on significance are the strategists.

So while I check my net worth regularly, I sit through the swings without worrying about it. Instead determine if there is an opportunity? Identify potential risks or weaknesses and see if you can fix them.

In other words, will that penny make or break you? If not, then it's probably time to move on.
Great post. Keeping up with two businesses and I never get balanced to a penny. I like the guilt free label of strategist.