Why I created The Forum at Saverocity

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
The purpose of The Forum is to create a friendly environment to share knowledge and ideas surrounding matters of interest to me, these tend to fall into the category of Travel and Finance, but I am sure will change and grow over time.

Building a community on the blogs has been a lot of fun, and helping people out via the comments sections, phone and email has been very rewarding for me. I see a forum as the best way to take that communication to the next level, and encourage people to source and share knowledge with the group, for our own betterment.

There are some topics that I feel are best discussed 'under the radar', these are some of the less orthodox things that we can explore when it comes to finding bargains and experiencing things in life, such as Luxury Travel that would otherwise be prohibitively expensive. These will be available for discussion in Private members only areas.

The value in keeping conversations to a curated membership is that it restricts access to the public, who might otherwise get themselves into trouble by not fully understanding how to implement some strategies, it would be my goal to help such people becoming knowledgeable and empowered before handing them the keys to the Ferrari.

Ultimately, my vision to build a community that helps one another all get the very most out of life, and have fun doing it. Welcome aboard!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Thanks for starting The Forum. I agree that the comments can get unwieldy to read and reply to, and think that in some cases, moving a discussion started on the blog over here may work well. I look forward to it.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Thank you for doing this. The humility conveyed on the blogs are refreshing, so building forum based on this where people can exchange ideas is exciting.

uwdanman

Level 2 Member
I enjoy reading many of the Saverocity family of blogs and look forward to interacting with many of the regular readers here more.

MkMooney

Level 2 Member
Daily Saverocity reader here,

Thank you for staring this forum.
It has a very promising future, hopefully a place where like minded people will give and take, and we'll all learn from each other.

elweb

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I look forward to participating in a positive forum where we can share and not tear each other down.

Haley

I am not a robot
Robots.txt is how you get things removed from Google index. There is one other way to avoid being listed, that I know of, bad links and hidden text.

You can google it (really).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Robots.txt is how you get things removed from Google index. There is one other way to avoid being listed, that I know of, bad links and hidden text.

You can google it (really).
I know, I accidentally blocked Saverocity from robots in the past and wiped out traffic :) However I am only pulling sections of the site, not the entire thing. There are many areas that will be useful to the casual reader, and other areas for people with more specialized interests to discuss things more privately.

Miles

Level 2 Member
I concur with Haley, that the robots.txt file is the best way to avoid Google indexing. From your reply, I think you know that you can block only certain parts (the Private ones) and let everything else be indexed. Or, your method of access control to the Private areas may be enough to keep G at bay.

rgmonkey

Level 2 Member
Thank you for creating all of this. I took the red pill and I got here. I would love to know more about level 2 stuff. Don't unplug me yet. :)

Manspender

Level 2 Member
For some reason I missed this when signing up and thought you were building in a level 3. I know there was talk about doing something like that in the thread about acronyms. I do not know how you would go about vetting people for that and know for sure you would have your work cut out for you if you tired.
Anyway thanks for the start up and the invite.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason I missed this when signing up and thought you were building in a level 3. I know there was talk about doing something like that in the thread about acronyms. I do not know how you would go about vetting people for that and know for sure you would have your work cut out for you if you tired.
Anyway thanks for the start up and the invite.
There will be higher levels as needed, you are correct it is not easy to structure, my goal was to make Level 2 fairly easy to access, and we can then see what people are sharing etc in that level - one criteria for going up will be the way they handle themselves here. The next criteria will have to involve some sort of higher level of accountability.

Kal

Level 2 Member
thanks mark for creating this. I am a regular reader on saverocity, but need to me more active on the forum.