Why hold bonds for the long term?

I've been reading Jack Bogle's "Common Sense on Mutual Funds," and had high hopes that it would answer a question that has been bugging me for a while: why should funds invested for the long term have any allocation to bonds?

Let me be clear, I'm not asking why people should hold bonds. Bonds are great! Lower volatility than stocks, better returns than cash. For funds needed in the next 5-10 years it makes perfect sense to allocate some portion to bonds in case stocks tank right before the funds are needed.

But in a retirement account that I'm not going to touch for at least 29.5 years (I'm 30), why should I care about volatility if it is my reasoned belief that equities will out-perform bonds over the next 29.5 years (conveniently close to Jeremy Siegel's 30-year timeframe over which equities outperformed bonds in every period between 1861 and 2011)? Obviously, as above, it makes sense to gradually allocate funds to bonds over the 5-10 years leading up to the beginning of withdrawals, so there's a portion of less-volatile funds that can be relied on in the first years of retirement.

Jack Bogle basically provides three answers to this question:

1) Psychological. Here the claim is that while I shouldn't care about short-term volatility in a long-term portfolio, in fact I do. This is a very unpersuasive claim which could be reframed as: "Because you're weak, you should earn lower long-term returns in your retirement accounts." But if you're asking someone to make sacrifices because they're weak, why not ask them to sacrifice their weakness? Doesn't it make more sense to say, "because you're weak, you're going to need to need to exert a lot of energy not looking at your portfolio day-to-day, month-to-month, or quarter-to-quarter." You're still asking the weak person to make a sacrifice (hard mental work), but not to sacrifice long-term returns as well!

2) Strategic. A fixed bond allocation allows you to buy low and sell high. Now this is a more interesting claim. The argument goes that since bond and stock prices are somewhat inversely correlated, and that therefore bond and stock yields are somewhat inversely correlated, allocating a fixed percentage of your portfolio to bonds is a way to shield some of your assets from the stock market when it's over-priced by moving the "unbalanced" amount to suddenly-cheap bonds, and to then buy back into the stock market when it's underpriced by moving the over-allocation in bonds to stocks.

The problem with this argument is that it proves too much. The exact same logic could be used to prove that the only correct asset allocation is 100% bonds (when the stock market is overpriced) or 100% stocks (when the stock market is underpriced)! Of course, when framed that way the problem is obvious: this is market timing, plain and simple. All you're doing is locking in the stock market price/earnings ratio that obtained when you first entered the market! If you enter the market at a 25 P/E ratio, any P/E ratio below that will be "cheap" and require you to buy stocks in order to maintain your asset allocation. If you enter at a 7 P/E ratio, any ratio above that will be "expensive" and require you to move to bonds. This is true even though a 24 P/E ratio is historically high and an 8 P/E ratio is historically low! Why would you want to automate that assessment? If you're going to time the market, time the market — and good luck to you!

3) Equity premium risk. Note that I don't say the equity risk premium, but rather equity premium risk. There are a lot of theories for why equities earned more than bonds in the 19th and 20th centuries, and risk premia are only one. Since we don't know for sure why equities have historically returned more than bonds, we can't say with any certainty they'll continue to earn higher returns than bonds. That being the case, we can't treat as fact that an allocation to bonds will generate a drag on portfolio returns — it may be that in 30 years we'll find that equities were the drag, and bonds provided consistently greater returns!

I'll be honest: I like this argument a lot. It speaks to my general antagonism towards predicting future returns based on past performance. So rather than argue that it's false (an argument I would lose), I will just throw out some general points that are convincing enough to me to keep me from keeping a fixed allocation in bonds.

If the long-term return on a bond is established by its starting yield and the rate at which coupons are reinvested, we know one of those numbers up front: the starting yield. If the starting yield is high enough to meet your investment goals, you should simply buy long-term, safe, inflation-adjusted zero-coupon bonds with that starting yield.

What you don't know is what the path of interest rates will be over the course of an investment lifetime, so you don't know what interest rate target-maturity bond funds will be reinvested at. For example, the Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index Fund that Jack Bogle likes holds bonds with a target maturity of 5-10 years. Owning that fund is making a series of rolling bets on interest rates in the intermediate-term. While its price will certainly be less volatile than the S&P 500, it feels to me like a MORE speculative bet that its returns over 30 years will outpace the returns of the S&P 500, simply because the price of the S&P 500 today, and in 30 years, is an inflation-adjusted reflection of the state of the largest companies in the US economy (plus the effect of speculative capital flows).

Still, I like this argument enough that I wouldn't try to convince someone NOT to allocate 5-10% of their long-term portfolio to a bond fund as a hedge against long-term underperformance of equities. But I'm not going to do it, and I wouldn't try to convince anyone else to do it, either!

volker

Level 2 Member
I never read Jeremy Siegel book. When I googled for it I never found any comparison with a recurring re-balanced bond-stocks portfolios.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK @Free-quent Flyer here's few things

Why hold bonds or stocks when you can hold cash?

Cash (ignoring silly promo APRs) tends to earn very little in today's economy, but is earning important? This brings into question an underlying thought with your post:

Is your goal to get rich, or to stay rich? If you are 65 years old, have expenses per year of $40,000 and $150M in the bank, who cares about stocks or bonds? You could invest the entire thing in stocks and even with a 90% drop in the stock market you'd be ok. Or you could keep it all in cash and lose money to inflation, and be ok....

Goal therefore is key - why hold hold bonds for the long term? Depends on your goal.

In what scenario could Bonds be good a part of a given goal?

One scenario would be if the repair ratio is exceeded. Repair Ratio™ is when your assets outweigh your income, and you aren't able to rebalance/dollar cost average (if all stock) with new cash inflow. For example, if you have $1000 in stocks and earn $200K per year, you could be 100% in stocks. If the market tanks you simply push in another $1K from free cash flow and buy low, sell high.. (though I'd tax loss harvest here too because you know me..)

But what if you have $2M in savings, and $10,000 in salary? If you are 100% in stocks and the market drops by 50% your ability to 'repair' is hampered, you might have only $90 in free cash flow to inject. This means that you are at the mercy of the market to return to its previous condition.

Is it market timing?

To an extent, but not really. For me, marketing timing is reacting to a perceived threat or opportunity BEFORE the market realizes it, and therefore you profit. Either by taking your gains early, or buying in before a surge in price. Diversification into bonds is more a case of ensuring there is enough dry powder around to react AFTER an event (a drop). Therefore bonds being held in a stock heavy portfolio with the GOAL of appreciation are there to create the ability to buy low when you don't have enough Repair Ratio™

What is long term
By definition, time moves in an orderly manner. What was 30 years ago last year is now 29 years. You could say that you would be willing to wait until T-5 years for retirement to take your foot of the pedal, but that is again GOAL related. If your goal is to grow assets as much as possible, that's more likely to happen in 100% equities, but if your goal is capital preservation, it is more likely to happen with bonds or cash.

Most people need a little of both, they want some upside from the market, but they don't want to lose their capital. When younger it doesn't matter so much, but it becomes a lot more important later in life.

I personally believe that we should have a financial plan which forecasts expense and then is funded by assets. If there is a shortfall we make it up with a combination of saving more and earning more (saving more first!) earning more risk free next, and earning more with risk last of all.

Let's think about the 5 year to retirement situation.

Many people retire at 65-67 because they are supposed to. In reality, with a plan they may be able to retire earlier (or should retire later). But let's pretend someone retires just based on age.

• They are age 58 (7 years out) and have $1M saved
  • They earn $35000
  • They spend $30000 per year
With thoughtful spending, they may be well on track to retire (they could perhaps even retire now). But what happens if they are 100% equities, and 7 years out, and the market crashes 50%?

Is 7 years enough time to get them back up to the $1M mark? They don't have Repair Ratio™ available so must be at the mercy of the market. What if it is flat for 10 years? The notion of 'Long Term' changes daily, not just 5 years away.

For these reasons the glidepath was created. The glidepath introduces bonds earlier and blends them through periodically, so you take your exposure to equities away as you near the point where you are unwilling or unable to work.

Personally, I don't believe in connecting glidepath to age. Rather I connect it to progress within the goal.

For example...

If you are 30 and have 35 years to retirement

• Have $50,000 per year in expenses
  • Have $100,000 in future obligations (college for your kid)
  • Have $16M in the bank
I'd not suggest an age based glidepath. I'd instead suggest looking at asset preservation, which then becomes a question of whether bonds are better than cash. This is a needs based glidepath. Why risk losing 50% of your wealth at age 60 when you've been out of work half your life, and are effectively unemployable?
  • The first step here is to measure needs (do you have enough safe money to cover your future needs based on expense)
  • The next step is to measure wants - if you want to do something epic, like build a spaceship, do you need more risk? If so, should that risk eat into your safety net of preserved assets (it can if you want, but you need to know the risk).
Then we build a portfolio where Bonds take a role in asset preservation and Repair Ratio™ which might include some equities, but even with 35 years until 'retirement' you might have zero invested in the stock market... or you might have 100%... depending on GOALS.

chalkitup

Level 2 Member
100% equity portfolios are poorly positioned for so-called "Black Swan" events, even if your investing horizon is 30+ years out. Losing 50% of your portfolio may be easy to stomach when you have $10K or even $100K invested, but what about when you have a million or more at stake? There is no guarantee that equity markets will rebound even over the course of decades.

A portfolio diversified across multiple factors may require you to sacrifice a small amount of upside across a variety of market conditions but this comes in return for outsized downside protection.

Even though my investing horizon is 30+ years and I (think I) could stomach a 50+% market correction, I maintain a bond allocation where I store the dry powder for a buying frenzy when that correction occurs.

@Matt Presciently foreseeing your objection about goals, I originally wrote: "If the starting yield is high enough to meet your investment goals, you should simply buy long-term, safe, inflation-adjusted zero-coupon bonds with that starting yield." So we're completely agreed there: if you don't need higher-than-safe returns, you shouldn't reach for higher-than-safe returns!

@Matt writes "Diversification into bonds is more a case of ensuring there is enough dry powder around to react AFTER an event (a drop)" and @chalkitup writes "I maintain a bond allocation where I store the dry powder for a buying frenzy when that correction occurs." I'm having a hard time understanding how the logic here differs from pure market timing (which, again, good luck!). You want to stay fully invested (that's why you keep funds in bonds instead of cash) but you also want to be able to seize on the inevitable 50% drop in equities that will happen between now and, say, 2025.

But if you trust yourself to identify lows, then why is it necessary to store up dry powder now, as opposed to simply scrambling to find it when the drop inevitably occurs? This still seems to me to be a case of not trusting yourself to invest wisely. And IF you don't trust yourself to invest wisely (God knows I don't trust myself), then you can simply make gradually-increasing weekly or biweekly contributions to a passive index fund, trusting instead that you'll take advantage of the lows as well as the highs.

chalkitup

Level 2 Member
I am happy with my asset allocation, and I only buy into a correction when I hit my rebalancing bands. I am not making a prediction or forecasting future market conditions and, in that sense, I am not market timing. I am simply rebalancing my portfolio to fit my desired asset allocation when it falls outside of my present bands... something that will happen with a big market correction.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
But if you trust yourself to identify lows
buy into a correction when I hit my rebalancing bands
am simply rebalancing my portfolio to fit my desired asset allocation
So this is basically it - you aren't seeking lows on a macro level (IE guessing the market) but within your own allocation. The underlying purpose is to reduce the variable nature of 100% equities. Bonds are not correlated in that they go up 5% when stocks drop 5%, but there is a relationship there, often in these markets you see a bond holding ground when markets are negative.

The notion of rebalancing is basically buying low, but the low might be because the stock (or bond) is underpriced in relation to itself, or underpriced in relation to alternative investment options. You aren't making that choice by running analysis on the asset, you are simply focused on the correlation in order to create a more robust allocation.

If you are interested in the topic, it would be good to get your hands on a copy of R and start running simulations on stocks vs bonds to understand things like covariance and run some monte carlo sims. It's all free:

http://www.stat.ufl.edu/archived/casella/ShortCourse/MCMC-UseR.pdf

I think @Matt 's post sums up both sides well: my preferred asset allocation for the long-term investing horizon is 100% equities, so I buy equities when they're cheap and when they're expensive: all my IRA contributions go to equities at whatever the prevailing price is. Over a lifetime that'll be cheap some of the time and expensive some of the time and just plugging along some of the time. If your preferred asset allocation is not 100% equities, you should obviously periodically rebalance in order to maintain your preferred asset allocation.

If we see another once-in-a-generation stock market collapse in the next 15-20 years, I'll buy a bunch of stock in a taxable account: just good old fashioned market timing. But I don't see the need to preemptively buy bonds in order to "keep my powder dry" and forego the returns of the stock market (dividends and earnings growth) in the meantime.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'll buy a bunch of stock in a taxable account: just good old fashioned market timing. But I don't see the need to preemptively buy bonds in order to "keep my powder dry" and forego the returns of the stock market (dividends and earnings growth) in the meantime.
In order to do that you need a bunch of dry powder.

volker

Level 2 Member
When CVS stops selling GC maybe I'll reconsider my asset allocation :)
Isn't the reason for MS to get at least some money out the cash laying around in low-interest accounts and bonds? And the rule to unload the GC as quick as possible is only to have the money available for the next reinvestment (e.g. huge stock drop)? I would call this diversification!

Regarding the topic. There are people that have 10-20% in bonds or cash laying around. If the market drops X% they put 50% of the bonds/cash in the market. If the market drops another Y% they go full in. The question here is always the data. Please show me a calculation with historical data that claims that having 100% in stock is more efficient as having a bond/stock mix with regular re-balancing (there are multiple with various balancing as well as various re-balancing strategies). I'd like to understand the claimed benefit of 100% stock but I only trust comparable data.

volker

Level 2 Member
If we see another once-in-a-generation stock market collapse in the next 15-20 years, I'll buy a bunch of stock in a taxable account: just good old fashioned market timing. But I don't see the need to preemptively buy bonds in order to "keep my powder dry" and forego the returns of the stock market (dividends and earnings growth) in the meantime.
I am curious after which rule do you decided what a "once-in-a-generation stock market collapse" is as well as when it is a good time during such a collapse to invest. I have seen two big collapses in the last since 2000. We had already two since 2000. These are obvious not once-in-a-generation collapses since there where two in less as 7 years between both lowest values.

@volker Well keep in mind that I'm always investing in the stock market through bimonthly, equal contributions to my IRA. The intent of those contributions is to, over the course of my investing lifetime, buy in at roughly the average P/E ratio that obtained during those years.

But it's no secret when there's a big bear market going on, let alone when there's a once-in-a-7-year period collapse in stock prices. I won't be able to time the bottom, and don't have any interest or need to time the bottom: I just need to ramp up contributions to my other, taxable accounts when prices are low relative to what I expect them to be on average for the next 30 years (roughly P/E ratio of 14-15). If P/E ratios end up being historically low the entire time of my investing career (and there's no reason to believe that won't happen), well then I'll have purchased stocks at around their new, lower average P/E ratio — that is to say, when they're fairly priced under the new market paradigm.

But none of that has anything to do with owning bonds!