Why doesn't amex change MR points to be worth 1CPP?

StealthyMSer

Level 2 Member
Just wondering why wouldn't amex do this. Chase UR points can be redeemed for 1CPP, so why can't amex get rid of all their Blue cash series of cards and replace them all with MR point earning cards, then make the MR points redeemable at 1CPP for a statement credit or something.

I am personally not a big traveler, but once every few years, i'll travel out of the country (college student). Chase UR points are flexible in that 80% of the time I cash them out for a statement credit or deposit to an external bank account, but I can save them up and use them in case I want to go on a trip in that partcular year.

Amex has all these dumb rules surrounding redeeming your MR points and as far as I know, there is no (easy) way to get 1CPP every time like there is with chase. Yes, I know there are some ways around this like amex sometimes offers amex gift cards for 1CPP or you can transfer your points to the charles schwab platinum for 1.25CPP, but the platinum cards have a $550 AF that makes no sense for someone who rarely travels.

Anyone know of ways to consistently get 1CPP for MR points? Since i'm a cash back person, I can't value MR points at 1CPP like I can with chase. Is there some backdoor way to get 1CPP from MR points? My best strategy so far has been getting a staples gift card then selling it on raise for what usually amounts to a value of 0.8CPP in cash. Would love to know and would make MR point earning cards much more valuble.

Last edited: