Who's in Charge?

HanoiIG

Silver Member
Recently I have had all kinds of problems because of booking award flights with partner miles. AC cancelled flights from MDT-YYZ and switched me to PHL. They didn't notify me and neither did Avianca! I always check a week or two in advance to be sure everything is OK and luckily have the time and money to go to Philly. In fact we spent a day in Philadelphia on each end of the trip. When we arrived at the airport it seemed that Avianca(as so often happens) dropped the ball and my tickets had not been re-written. fortunately AC did it for us at both airports.

My latest involves flights on TK, also booked with LifeMiles. I got TK record locators and ticket numbers(although TK's numbers begin with different prefix so not really) but I couldn't select seats on one flight nor could I input our passport information. Turkish says I booked through a travel agency and have to deal with them. Avianca says only Turkish can do this.

If memory serves, once I have the record locator on the operating carrier, I can just go in and do everything, like seats, meals, notifications. Am I crazy or are the airlines nuts?

HanoiIG

Silver Member
Recently I have had all kinds of problems because of booking award flights with partner miles. AC cancelled flights from MDT-YYZ and switched me to PHL. They didn't notify me and neither did Avianca! I always check a week or two in advance to be sure everything is OK and luckily have the time and money to go to Philly. In fact we spent a day in Philadelphia on each end of the trip. When we arrived at the airport it seemed that Avianca(as so often happens) dropped the ball and my tickets had not been re-written. fortunately AC did it for us at both airports.

My latest involves flights on TK, also booked with LifeMiles. I got TK record locators and ticket numbers(although TK's numbers begin with different prefix so not really) but I couldn't select seats on one flight nor could I input our passport information. Turkish says I booked through a travel agency and have to deal with them. Avianca says only Turkish can do this.

If memory serves, once I have the record locator on the operating carrier, I can just go in and do everything, like seats, meals, notifications. Am I crazy or are the airlines nuts?
I must be insane! AF helped me figure it out. They had emailed me about a VN flight redeemed with Flying Blue and their site had the info! I then went on Avianca site with their record locator and both TK flights popped up with seats and everything. Why did I not know or remember this?

RRD

Level 2 Member

Looks like this is a pattern with Avianca. Happened to me too a few months ago. Moral of the story - check status every week till the day of the flight. Never know what will change.