Which Itinerary Would you Pick and why?

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
  • #1 AA Economy 45K/$5.60 (BUF-PHL and PHL-FCO) 3:35 PM-9:15 AM
  • #2 AA Economy/Iberia Business 50K/$175 ($100 for BUF-BOS leg + Iberia Fees??) (BUF-BOS-MAD-FCO) 2:40 PM - 11:10 AM
  • #3 Delta First/Air Italia Business 62.5K/$5.60 (ROC-JFK and JFK-FCO) 6:40 PM-12:40 PM
  • #4 Delta First/Air Italia Business 62.5K/$5.60 (BUF-JFK and JFK-FCO) 12:54 PM - 8:40 AM (3 1/2 hour layover in JFK)
For reference, this would have minimal impact on my AA Balance, but would deplete my Delta Balance. I'm leaning toward Option #3 anyhow, but am curious what people think?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
For me, it's #2 or #3. On #2, are you saying there isn't award availability for BUF-BOS, so you'd pay $100 for a revenue flight on that leg? I ask because one advantage of AA is that you can keep an eye out for a better routing (i.e., BUF-PHL-FCO) to have award availability and change to it without a fee. However, you can't change origin and destination, so if you can only book BOS-MAD-FCO as an award now, that wouldn't be as advantageous. If that's the case, I'd go with #3. Good to use DL miles anyway, as it's tough to get good value from them, and 62.5k for US-Europe in J is good value :)

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Did you check flights out of Toronto? Granted, I know it's a total PIA to drive up there because I'm originally from WNY. You might be able to get a cheap one way car rental and a direct flight to FCO.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
For me, it's #2 or #3. On #2, are you saying there isn't award availability for BUF-BOS, so you'd pay $100 for a revenue flight on that leg? I ask because one advantage of AA is that you can keep an eye out for a better routing (i.e., BUF-PHL-FCO) to have award availability and change to it without a fee. However, you can't change origin and destination, so if you can only book BOS-MAD-FCO as an award now, that wouldn't be as advantageous. If that's the case, I'd go with #3. Good to use DL miles anyway, as it's tough to get good value from them, and 62.5k for US-Europe in J is good value :)
I'm leaning toward #3 as well, I'd rather blow AA miles, but I think I'd rather have a better trip! The only award routing from BUF-BOS isn't direct (takes 5 hours) and then leaves a 5 hour layover before the international haul. While a schedule change or better routing is likely, I don't think I'd chance it with a routing that bad. I've been hoping something reasonable opens up that I could book and live with. If there was a decent BUF-BOS, I think I would've gone with #2.

Did you check flights out of Toronto? Granted, I know it's a total PIA to drive up there because I'm originally from WNY. You might be able to get a cheap one way car rental and a direct flight to FCO.
I don't mind YYZ, we did YYZ-LHR-DUB-YYZ last summer, which was totally worth the drive (we live in ROC and have Nexus, so not too awful). However, the only direct flights have no saver space in Biz.

m124

Level 2 Member
#3.

DL awards at 62,500 are hard to come by and you get into FCO at a decent hour when you can check into your hotel.

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Option 3 or 4 no doubt. If you have vacation time to burn, option 4 to get in early and enjoy an additional day in Rome. Option 3 if you need the time at work.

PghRocks

When I travel the most valuable currency I have, isn't money or miles, it's time.

I'm a hit the ground and run guy, got lots to see and lots to do. Getting to Rome at 11 or 1240 is really pissing a day away if you want to see sites, since many aren't open late. And you gotta add a good bit of time to those numbers to get your actual arrival time in Rome, given the train to the city.

With that in mind, AA miles not being an issue, and if you can sleep in coach, I'd swallow hard pay the 45K for #1.

If you can't sleep in coach, I'd go with #4 (the Delta Lounge at JFK is one of the best domestic lounges).

(But wait a second, since when is Economy to Europe 45K on AA?)

jdlucas24

Level 2 Member
I would tend to agree the either of the Delta options is best. No one is quite sure where DL miles are headed and there is probably more certainty around AA miles given that they just announced a deval.

Also, the A330 Alitalia flies from the US has a nice J product (at least on par with Iberia) and you don't have to connect through MAD and fly intra-Europe J

Hplx32

#3 or #4 - Use AA miles on a different flight. The fact that you found openings on Delta is pretty good. Have a good trip.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
When I travel the most valuable currency I have, isn't money or miles, it's time.

I'm a hit the ground and run guy, got lots to see and lots to do. Getting to Rome at 11 or 1240 is really pissing a day away if you want to see sites, since many aren't open late. And you gotta add a good bit of time to those numbers to get your actual arrival time in Rome, given the train to the city.

With that in mind, AA miles not being an issue, and if you can sleep in coach, I'd swallow hard pay the 45K for #1.

If you can't sleep in coach, I'd go with #4 (the Delta Lounge at JFK is one of the best domestic lounges).

(But wait a second, since when is Economy to Europe 45K on AA?)
It's not saver space, it's the anytime level 1....

Now I just need to hope there's still some decent Delta Award Availability by the time I get my sign up bonus...

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Oh I see, you fancy.
Wanted to do something nice for our 10 year anniversary and a trip w/o our kids! We've never flown in anything besides economy, since we'd rather stretch our miles further. Figured I'd try and make a one time exception....