Where to stay in Puerto Vallarta

Peridot83

Level 2 Member
Contemplating a girls weekend in PVR. I have points with Hyatt, SPG, and Hilton. SPG Gold with club access and Hilton Diamond. Anyone have any guidance between Hyatt PV, Sheraton Bougainvillea, and Hilton PV. I loved Hyatt Zilara Cancun, but there are quite a few negative reviews of the food at the PV property. The Sheraton is right in town and I'd have club access, so maybe that would be a good balance of hotel freebies and getting to see the actual area.

DazeEnd

Level 2 Member
My wife and I just returned from a trip to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta (previously a Dreams property). If you're looking for an all-inclusive option, it's pretty good. The beach is incredible. It has cliffs the extend into the ocean in both sides of the property which allow the resort to control access and limit trinket sellers, etc. If you go, be aware that although the Club Tower is supposed to be the more "exclusive" experience, the rooms are starting to show their age. Next time we'll try the Main Tower which was just refurbished this year.

I also got an email from them recently advertising prices discounted up to 60% off, so you might be able to get a deal.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

DazeEnd

Level 2 Member
Your question reminded me that some of their interpretations of Italian dishes were… creative. For one meal I ordered "gnocchi with lamb ragu" and was served what I'd describe as lamb stew with potatoes. It would have been a great (and tasty) spin on shepherd's pie, but it was a far cry from gnocchi.

spamman808

Level 2 Member
I stayed on a sailboat when was there last year, so I can't help you too much in that regard (Sorry!). The marina we stayed in had access to the resorts and the pool/beach setups were pretty killer though! However, if you can swing it theres a local market about 15-20 min by bus going towards La Cruz that is kind of off the path from one of the touristy shopping areas. It was a pretty sweet experience wandering around there (tacos were great and pretty cheap...don't make my mistake of ordering Chiccarones and (sounds like en) tacos, or you'll get chiccarones in a taco), and then you can go check out the tourist traps after, if that's your thing.

inflightmeal

Level 2 Member
My wife and I just returned from a trip to Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta (previously a Dreams property). If you're looking for an all-inclusive option, it's pretty good. The beach is incredible. It has cliffs the extend into the ocean in both sides of the property which allow the resort to control access and limit trinket sellers, etc. If you go, be aware that although the Club Tower is supposed to be the more "exclusive" experience, the rooms are starting to show their age. Next time we'll try the Main Tower which was just refurbished this year.

I also got an email from them recently advertising prices discounted up to 60% off, so you might be able to get a deal.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
My wife and I are staying there in March (for the first time.) Very much looking forward to it! What type of room did you have? What Hyatt Status?

Jessica

Level 2 Member
My husband and I stayed at the Hilton 2 years ago. We got upgraded to the terrace suite and the room was very nice, everything else was below satisfactory, though. For comparison, it was our 3rd all inclusive (Secrets Marquis Los Cabos and Coco Plum Cay Belize prior) and the food was way worse here (ie: horrible). The drinks weren't good and the service lackluster. I loved PV and would love to go back but I would want to be closer to town next time. The town is really the heart of PV. Although, I have been thinking of trying the Hyatt PV sometime after our first son is born in a few months.

DazeEnd

Level 2 Member
My wife and I are staying there in March (for the first time.) Very much looking forward to it! What type of room did you have? What Hyatt Status?
Sorry for the delay in replying. We had a Club Ocean Front King room. (http://m.hyatt.com/mt/www.hyatt.com/un_roomInfo?spirit=pvrif&roomcode=P1VK) The room was nice enough, but like I said before, starting to show its age. The whole club tower is probably due for a refurbishment. The view, however is spectacular. My wife and I spent several evenings on the balcony having drinks and enjoying the sunset over the ocean.