Where to stay for weekend in Austin

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We are planning to do a weekend in Austin and having never been there, I wasn't sure if the downtown is a deadzone on the weekend. Is that the best place to stay for a pedestrian getaway?

Thanks.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
We were down there about a month ago, the bats were pretty cool! You're also in a solid location around a lot of restaurants and 6th street evening entertainment

sriki

Level 2 Member
I stayed at the IC late Dec. Nothing seemed special about it other than just another hotel. There was also construction next to it.

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
Glad for the affirmation. We really wanted to be pedestrians in the downtown area. I've wanted to see the bat colony under the South Congress Street Bridge for years and now I will. :)
It's better to get on the grass under the bridge rather than stand on the bridge itself. A friend asked me for some recs when they were in town a couple of weeks ago so here it is (definitely not a complete list):

Bars: Jackalope, Valhallah for bar games, Rainey Street where houses turned into bars (Bangers, Bar 96, Container Bar, etc.). Easy tiger. Eastside/hipster bars: Vilolet Crowne, Liberty, Shangrila, Grackel, White Horse (more of a country/cowboy feel). Driskill hotel and bar (one of oldest hotels W of Mississippi and cool bar upstairs) BBQ: la barbeque, Micklethwait BBQ, Muellers or Lamberts for some fancier Mexican: Veracruz, Tamale House, Torchy's Tacos, la Condeza for fancier and good margaritas Other food: via 313 pizza, uchi for sushi, vespaio for Italian, Hop Doddy burger, jackalope, Texas Chili Parlor Outdoor activities: walk down South Congress with a lot of shops and people watch, Peter Pan mini-golf on Barton Springs, Town Lake kayaking or hike and bike trail, Barton Springs swimming, graffiti park/outdoor gallery on Baylor and 11th, Mt. Bonnel has some cool views

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
It's better to get on the grass under the bridge rather than stand on the bridge itself. A friend asked me for some recs when they were in town a couple of weeks ago so here it is (definitely not a complete list):

Bars: Jackalope, Valhallah for bar games, Rainey Street where houses turned into bars (Bangers, Bar 96, Container Bar, etc.). Easy tiger. Eastside/hipster bars: Vilolet Crowne, Liberty, Shangrila, Grackel, White Horse (more of a country/cowboy feel). Driskill hotel and bar (one of oldest hotels W of Mississippi and cool bar upstairs) BBQ: la barbeque, Micklethwait BBQ, Muellers or Lamberts for some fancier Mexican: Veracruz, Tamale House, Torchy's Tacos, la Condeza for fancier and good margaritas Other food: via 313 pizza, uchi for sushi, vespaio for Italian, Hop Doddy burger, jackalope, Texas Chili Parlor Outdoor activities: walk down South Congress with a lot of shops and people watch, Peter Pan mini-golf on Barton Springs, Town Lake kayaking or hike and bike trail, Barton Springs swimming, graffiti park/outdoor gallery on Baylor and 11th, Mt. Bonnel has some cool views
Terrific information and much appreciated.

I actually have a hankering to stay at the Driskill Hotel but don't have the SPG points to pull it off. I am keeping an eye on great cash deals.

Re bats: if we watch from under the bridge, will guano be an issue?

FlyerMarc

Level 2 Member
Terrific information and much appreciated.

I actually have a hankering to stay at the Driskill Hotel but don't have the SPG points to pull it off. I am keeping an eye on great cash deals.

Re bats: if we watch from under the bridge, will guano be an issue?
The Driskill is actually Hyatt and not SPG. It's part of their newest collection, whatever that is called. I've stayed their twice and it definitely has a Texas feel to it.

Edit: I understand the confusion, I said W of Mississippi and I meant west, not W hotel; friend was a non-points guru so she probably came to a different conclusion:)

I would say no worries about guano or pee. You can take kayaks/cruises right under the bridge and then I would be concerned, but the spots under the bridge are on the banks of the lake so you should be okay.

MaiJohnson

Level 2 Member
I had planned to spend a night in Austin a few years back, but due to flight delays ended up only getting to stay for an hour or two in the morning before heading to my final destination, but the one thing I liked a lot was the breakfast at El Sol y La Luna on 6th st I think? Really nice change of pace breakfast-wise, basically tex-mex breakfast, and a pretty relaxing way to start the day.

The Rev

Not sure if this is too late or not, but we stayed at the Radisson property in downtown Austin a few weeks ago and had a great experience! So much brisket!