When should we use the 'dislike' button?

KennyBSAT

Staff member
I couldn't find that anyone had ever actually used the dislike button, so I'm making sure it actually works. I dislike the first post on the second page of the first thread in each subforum. Deal with it :mad:

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I couldn't find that anyone had ever actually used the dislike button, so I'm making sure it actually works. I dislike the first post on the second page of the first thread in each subforum. Deal with it :mad:
At least that explains why I hit the lottery! I was about to write and ask you for an explanation:confused:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
As a test, can we get a few more dislikes on Kenny's post? I want to see what happens.

I put it in as a self moderation tool, but don't know how effective it will be.

I mean the first one in this thread btw.

Haley

I am not a robot
Matt, by 'self moderation' you really mean 'user moderation', right?

That is the admin in me asking.
User moderation is one of those things that can become a horrible pit.
I have some seriously craptastic stories.

FYI: my browser just crashed, twice.

Haley

I am not a robot
I'm guessing first time was because the automatic mod came into play and the second time was right after I unhid the hidden post.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Unfortunately once I decided on the criteria for my random disliking crusade I had to dislike some really good posts. The whole thing is a silly little experiment to see how using the dislike button would work. Please note is the off-topic area where snark and sarcasm go from optional after 5:00 to mandatory at all times.

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I got dinged too. I'm surprised to see the dislikes and "deal with it" being done by someone who has a blog hosted on Saverocity.
Interestingly, I too was suprised when I saw them, but I was happy to see the deal with it part, because it explained that someone had taken an experiment and ran with it. The dislike concept is quite complex, and I incorporated the ability without any explanation. You reactions (and mine) are telling, and that we explore it without my imposing the rules in appealing to me.

I respect Kenny for doing it, weird as that might seem. It is confrontational to dislike, and he went and opened that door.

I hope to only host bold, intelligent people on Saverocity, and expect them to cause offense at times. I hope that you can see beyond the act of disliking your post and hopefully help to share insights on if and how we should proceed with this feature.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing first time was because the automatic mod came into play and the second time was right after I unhid the hidden post.
Thanks -I didn't have any issues with either, but will continue to monitor. Thanks for your points on this as a Mod too, I am uncertain about it, but think there is value in a dislike... perhaps..

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I obliged with a thumbs down to help with the test and was greeted by this when I came back to see what was happening here:

"This message by KennyBSAT has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)"

Is that because Kenny's post here got 8 dislikes?

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Yes. It's a way of downvoting crappy posts so people don't have to read them.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I obliged with a thumbs down to help with the test and was greeted by this when I came back to see what was happening here:

"This message by KennyBSAT has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)"

Is that because Kenny's post here got 8 dislikes?
6 I believe. I can set the number to whatever.

It can be useful - if there are no Mods around and some nasty spam comes through, but it could also create cliquishness and fear of posting, but that also can be a good thing if people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and are posting silliness. Not a simple subject really.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
"Silliness" is one thing, and "crappy posts" another, but clicking "dislike" if someone just disagrees with a post is probably not in the best interests of the community. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

"Silliness" is one thing, and "crappy posts" another, but clicking "dislike" if someone just disagrees with a post is probably not in the best interests of the community. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
That's the catch-22 with this. It can be used for good or it can be used for evil...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It can be removed by me in a click. I'll be watching, and you guys can always DM me if you want something looked at more closely.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Interestingly, I too was suprised when I saw them, but I was happy to see the deal with it part, because it explained that someone had taken an experiment and ran with it. The dislike concept is quite complex, and I incorporated the ability without any explanation. You reactions (and mine) are telling, and that we explore it without my imposing the rules in appealing to me.

I respect Kenny for doing it, weird as that might seem. It is confrontational to dislike, and he went and opened that door.

I hope to only host bold, intelligent people on Saverocity, and expect them to cause offense at times. I hope that you can see beyond the act of disliking your post and hopefully help to share insights on if and how we should proceed with this feature.
While I understand your argument, the dislikes given were admittedly given for arbitrary reasons unrelated to the topic of conversation or any honest dislike. I am hesitant to agree with the credit card companies but using the "dislike" in a manner not intended is abuse of the option.

Personally, I appreciate that the dislike was removed from my stats.

smittytabb

Staff member
I had someone dislike a comment of mine and I just PM'd the person to get more feedback. Turns out it was a mistake and it was turned from dislike to like. I think if someone honestly chooses to dislike your comment, you should seek feedback on why in order to learn what is going on. There are lots of online misunderstandings and the best thing is to dialogue.

Haley

I am not a robot
6 I believe. I can set the number to whatever.

It can be useful - if there are no Mods around and some nasty spam comes through
Yes.

but it could also create cliquishness and fear of posting
And all the crap that goes along with that. Even w/o the down button this can be an issue.

but that also can be a good thing if people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and are posting silliness.
This is better addressed by a reply in many cases, thumbs down provides no additional information. Often the best ideas are a product of conversations, sometimes a post that isn't good info can start such a conversation.

Not a simple subject really.
As Kenny showed us :)

I am glad he started a conversation.

Last edited:

Haley

I am not a robot
Hey Matt,
Do thumbs up counter thumbs down on a post? I've seen both options as ad in features.
Feel free to experiment on this post if you are not sure. :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Matt,
Do thumbs up counter thumbs down on a post? I've seen both options as ad in features.
Feel free to experiment on this post if you are not sure. :)
Go back to Kenny's at the top and flip your vote once.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK guys, I am happy to change things around if you wish. We can either have a simple 'like' button, or we can have a combination of buttons similar to the ones we have now, capable of giving positive, negative or neutral ratings.

I do somewhat like there being more than just a like, providing it is used - I think people use like for things other than just like... one thing I have seen deployed from the new system is Informative which is, I feel, something of an achievement for particularly good posts. The Winner is also good....and we do have rainbows somewhere :)

I do kinda like a banner being awarded for cherry picked feedback - not for X posts, or Y resources, but if enough people highlight your posts beyond a simple like I think earning something is neat.

Is that appealing or not? And can it work without negatives?

KennyBSAT

Staff member
You don't have to get rid of the dislike button, but I don't see a constructive use for it except to weed out spam. If you get an 'F' on a paper with no feedback, you learn just about nothing from it. Throw in the jarring effect of having posts disliked and... based on the results I don't like it. I think conversation in the answer.

I like all of the other labels, and un-disliked all of the unlucky posts late last night. Everyone is welcome to continue to pile on my rude, dislike-worthy post that opens this thread. Or any of my other posts if you simply need to vent.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
...I think people use like for things other than just like... one thing I have seen deployed from the new system is Informative which is, I feel, something of an achievement for particularly good posts. The Winner is also good....and we do have rainbows somewhere :)
I have also used "like" as a way to acknowledge when someone answers a question I have posted. Seems better than cluttering up threads with thank yous, although I have done that too. Is there a way to have a "thanks" button?

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I like the "like" and dislike the "dislike". Ha. I just really wanted to say that.

But seriously, I don't see much of a value in "dislike"...what's the point? I'd vote for: Like/Thanks/Spam

If I dislike something, you're gonna know. :)