What happens if you miss your international flight when flying on a FC saver award

KyRoamer

Level 2 Member
Arrive LGA on AA. Depart EWR on BA.
I arrive LGA at 1:40 pm on a Monday and depart EWR on BA at 6:25 pm. I am flying on a AA FC award ticket.

I should have enough time to get my bags and take a car service from LGA to EWR and make my connection but
what if I miss it? Flat tire, accident in tunnel, etc could delay me.

Would BA put me on the next day's flight if seats were available or only if there was award inventory?

BTW I tried to get to NYC the day before but no tickets award tickets were available and this is for next May!!! My flight options to NYC are all on American Eagle.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of those useless replies, because I am no expert at the rules here, but here goes:

You aren't going to miss it. It's a 43 minute drive - there will be traffic for some of that so maybe 1:20. If you are really worried about it, cab to Penn and get the train.

As for if you did (which you won't) I would 'guess' that if there was a seat in F you would get it, but it might be that there is not and in which case you are SOL.

Hopefully a more program savvy person can answer more definitively, but I would be very confident regarding being able to snag an F seat if it was open using nothing more than basic politeness and social skills.

smittytabb

Staff member
Arrive LGA on AA. Depart EWR on BA.
I arrive LGA at 1:40 pm on a Monday and depart EWR on BA at 6:25 pm. I am flying on a AA FC award ticket.

I should have enough time to get my bags and take a car service from LGA to EWR and make my connection but
what if I miss it? Flat tire, accident in tunnel, etc could delay me.

Would BA put me on the next day's flight if seats were available or only if there was award inventory?

BTW I tried to get to NYC the day before but no tickets award tickets were available and this is for next May!!! My flight options to NYC are all on American Eagle.
I agree with Matt that you would most likely make it no problem, but of course anything can and does happen. I have to think that they would get you on another carrier or OW carrier in F. Did you say where you are flying to? That would help to figure out options.

I was on an award ticket in F going to Bangkok and my original flight from ORD to NRT was cancelled. AA got me on a plane in F from ORD to HKG on United and then on Thai from HKG to BKK. It was great because I actually got the United miles for travel in F too!

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
This is one of those useless replies, because I am no expert at the rules here, but here goes:

You aren't going to miss it. It's a 43 minute drive - there will be traffic for some of that so maybe 1:20. If you are really worried about it, cab to Penn and get the train.
My experience on NYC airports is getting rusty but I think I would take the over on either 43 minutes or 1:20 to drive from LGA to EWR starting at 1:40 on a Monday afternoon.

Last edited:

jjangoo

Level 2 Member
Last December I actually missed a flight in BA F booked using AA miles (IAH-LHR). The next flight had no first class award space so the gate agent rebooked me through DFW. I specifically remember him saying he couldn't book me into F on the following flight because I was on a Z fare and no seats were available. Whether he couldn't do it or wouldn't do it, I can't really say.

Good luck!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
My experience on NYC airports is getting rusty but I think I would take the over on either 43 minutes or 1:20 to drive from LGA to EWR starting at 1:40 on a Monday afternoon.
Yep, the 43 was google maps... I would say about 1:20, longer if later in the day. But I wouldn't aim for that as my 'goal' I'd allow at least 3hrs, but that fits into the OP so I left it at that.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Yep, the 43 was google maps... I would say about 1:20, longer if later in the day. But I wouldn't aim for that as my 'goal' I'd allow at least 3hrs, but that fits into the OP so I left it at that.
My GPS once said the shortest way from Philadelphia to upstate New York was to take the tunnel into the Battery, go through mid-town Manhattan, and on up from there. Probably was the shortest-might have saved at least a half a mile of driving.

Fortunately I wasn't that rusty.