#WestCoastDO - Official Thread: The Schedule of Events

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
The official event for the #WestCoastDO is on Saturday 11/8 and will run as follows:

Updated Schedule on 11/3

10 - 10:40 Frequent Miler
10:45 - 11:40 Big Habitat and Miles Abound

11:40 - 11:50 Short Break
11:50 - 12:15 TheBOSman
12:20 - 1 pm Marathon Man

1 pm - 2:30 pm Lunch
2:30 pm - 3:30 pm Panel - MM, MA, BMG, Milenomics, TheBOSman - Matt will MC
3:30 - 3:40 Short Break
3:40 pm - 4:40 pm BMG
4:45 pm - 5 pm Matt closing remarks

5 pm - (unofficial- Kimpton Guests social hour)
6:15pm onwards Social Hour

Topics have not been selected at this point, primarily because we are in an ever changing game, and what is relevant today may be obsolete tomorrow. I'd also remind everyone that this event is more of a gathering and social event than anything, so if your top priority is to come to be spoonfed insider secrets you won't get as much out of this as someone who is coming to forge friendships and build networks to develop their own strategies.

The changes from Charlotte include: more breaks, people felt we tried to put too much into CLT, so we have a few more short breaks, and a longer lunch, so people feel they can relax. Additionally, people wanted to ask more questions, so we opened up a panel for an hour after lunch. The panel should be a lot of fun, while many might have MS specific questions please feel free to ask about broader subjects, since these folk are all quite adept on the burning side of miles and points too.

We will break around 5pm, in time for guests staying at the Firesky to join their social hour. For those staying at non-host hotels there is a break of 1hr15m to freshen up prior to the included social hour. For those planning the evening, it is most likely to continue well on into the night with socializing, and will become a cash bar.

Unofficial gatherings will occur on Friday and Sunday, there is a thread here to coordinate this. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the event.

Cheers,

Matt

PS big thanks to The Miles Professor for her help building this schedule.

Last edited:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Looks great! Thanks for posting, esp. as some of us are traveling with family members and this helps to coordinate timing with them. Can't wait!

Haley

I am not a robot
That looks like a great line-up!
TMP stumped me for 3.5 seconds.

I predict break #2 never happens.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like a great line-up!
TMP stumped me for 3.5 seconds.

I predict break #2 never happens.
Well I'll ask- the last time around people said it was too fast paced, we went from one to the next quickly and it was overload. But we'll figure it out.

Lunch this time should be even better than last, and that got rave reviews.

Haley

I am not a robot
Well I'll ask- the last time around people said it was too fast paced, we went from one to the next quickly and it was overload. But we'll figure it out.

Lunch this time should be even better than last, and that got rave reviews.
I like the idea of breaks.
They help with the flow and they give you room in case of delays w/o cutting someone's time. I just can't imagine how you will get people to stop asking questions, with such a great panel, to take that break.

I think the pace will be better because you have fewer short time slots; the new speaker pretty much every 25 min after lunch, last time, looked overwhelming. I missed it, so that is just a guess. Having fewer, but longer, slots looks much more manageable.

I'm very much looking forward to lunch!

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Wasn't there supposed to be some event for non-MS spouses? I remember some talk of this. Did it not pan out?

My non-MS wife is coming but she's not sure if she wants to attend the sessions or take a spa/Xmas shopping day.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I don't think she can attend the actual sessions without a ticket....
I bought her one - but she'd be bored. She needs to decide ASAP if we need to transfer it.

I was assuming that the non-MS spouse event (if there is one) didn't need a ticket???

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I bought her one - but she'd be bored. She needs to decide ASAP if we need to transfer it.

I was assuming that the non-MS spouse event (if there is one) didn't need a ticket???
The non-MS spouse event is a rather fancy name for not coming. The event is as outlined above, we did considered setting up some raffia weaving and origami sessions for those who do not MS, but in the end the materials were prohibitively expensive.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Just checked the weather in Scottsdale. The forecast is for highs of 82/83 and lows of 57/58 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The description goes from a low of "plenty of sunshine" to a high of "abundant sunshine." A little tricky for this Portlander to wrap her head around but I guess I better dig out some summer clothes!

You can check for yourself here; click on "extended" if it doesn't pop up automatically.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/scottsdale-az/85251/daily-weather-forecast/331798?day=6

Oh, and there may be gusts of wind all the way up to 4 mph! So come prepared :) !

Haley

I am not a robot
My non MS spouse will be traveling with me due to my recent surgery. He will be my boy Friday.

He is an avid photographer and will be going on an explore looking for burrowing owls on Saturday. Anyone else who likes going on nature hikes or bird watching is welcome to join him. He will have a car. He also loves natural history museums and flight museums extra credit if they have old WW2 stuff.

Also he is a teacher by nature, so anyone interested in learning a bit about photography? Maybe we could organize something for Sunday. We are staying through to Minday.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
My non-MS spouse has decided to go Christmas shopping at the mall instead of attending the sessions on Saturday. I guess her new Ink Plus will be getting a workout (gulp!). If any other non-MS spouses want to tag along I'm sure she'd enjoy it.

There is a free trolley that serves the hotels located near the Hyatt House area that will deliver them right at the mall.

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
Firesky is a great location, nice place to stop in yesterday across the street and awesome Thai food for dinner (sorry we decided to be antisocial) and liquid caffeine in the lobby this morning.

Off to photograph hawks and owls while wife hangs out with all ya'all.