#westcoastDO Official Thread - Survey and Feedback

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Folks,

It was great seeing you all in PHX. I'm just getting back to reality (aka the Cold!) now on the East Coast and wanted to reach out to discuss thoughts on the DO. I have set up a Survey for Feedback that has been mailed out to the people who bought via BrownPaper Tickets. There were a LOT of swaps in the last week or two so for those people if you would like to complete the survey please email me Matt@saverocity.com or pm me here and I'll get you the link.

I'll reserve my own specific thoughts on the event until later so as to not skew the answers, but generally I had a mixed feeling about this one. Some things I liked a lot, and some things I think we could tweak. This is a different feeling than from CLT where I thought we just nailed it. Please feel free to discuss thoughts beyond the Survey here, and I'll start posting up the results of that once we get to about 20 replies or so.

Cheers,
Matt

Survey Results (partial)

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Q4 Liked about the event:

The lunch! The presentations from Tashir and Marathon Man. The snacks in the evening were awesome too!

11/11/2014 11:45 PM View respondent's answers
I like the community feel and the openness to share!

11/11/2014 11:41 PM View respondent's answers
Location, lunch, networking, social hour.

11/11/2014 8:06 PM View respondent's answers
Great food, nice choice for the hotel, great town to hold it in, the social aspects, fantastic crowd.

11/11/2014 7:32 PM View respondent's answers
I liked most everything about the event since it was my first time attending. I felt a little like everyone already knew each other so I was playing catchup.

11/11/2014 6:35 PM View respondent's answers
All the speakers, the focus on MS, and being able to meet others from this hobby

11/11/2014 5:29 PM View respondent's answers
I liked the open format, very focused on socializing with like-minded people.

11/11/2014 4:23 PM View respondent's answers
Afterpary (es). As a way to communicate to good practitioners. Also love Tashir and MM.

11/11/2014 12:44 PM View respondent's answers
The best part was the ability to network and socialize with others. Also, the weather was beautiful and the location was quite nice. The food was excellent.

11/11/2014 12:16 PM View respondent's answers
Meeting people with a shared interest was great. Hearing their stories of success, failure was helpful.

11/11/2014 11:03 AM View respondent's answers
I met more people with the same interest as me.

11/11/2014 10:57 AM View respondent's answers
Good pace, good group of people, the venue was well set up to handle the main event as well as the smaller gatherings

11/11/2014 10:29 AM View respondent's answers
Great social gathering

11/11/2014 10:20 AM View respondent's answers
The people

11/11/2014 10:13 AM View respondent's answers
free time to connect with others

11/11/2014 9:18 AM View respondent's answers
Face to face networking and meeting people.

11/11/2014 9:14 AM View respondent's answers
The speakers were well done. The lunch was terrific and the open bar was a nice touch.

11/11/2014 8:31 AM View respondent's answers
The social events/opportunities. The panel was the best part of the set of presentations

11/11/2014 7:58 AM View respondent's answers
Lot of social time and LUNCH.

11/11/2014 12:47 AM View respondent's answers
Well paced with plenty of time to meet other attendees. Although the speakers felt a little pushed, I think it forced them to develop better presentations focusing on the most useful points.

11/11/2014 12:43 AM View respondent's answers
Meeting people who spoke the same language.

11/11/2014 12:29 AM View respondent's answers
The people. The place. The program although a little more content along with all the jokes would have slightly improved the event overall.

11/11/2014 12:24 AM View respondent's answers
Venue, catering, social/networking opportunities.

11/11/2014 12:04 AM View respondent's answers
The socializing aspect, meeting others who had similar interests, stories, and experiences. The number of people was about right (maybe 20 too many). As mentioned, the venue and food were great.

11/11/2014 12:00 AM View respondent's answers
Socializing. The presentation part was kept short. Great location and timing. Excellent for socializing outdoors.

The meeting and socializing facilities, and the people there.

11/10/2014 11:57 PM View respondent's answers
Great location, excellent lunch, and the 2 happy hours were awesome.

Q5 Disliked about the event

t was really loud at the evening social hour. My voice doesn't carry well so i couldn't really be heard. The food was great though.

I think we could add even more content.

A little disorganized in small ways. No posted lists of speakers and topics (I know it was online). Maybe just a little hard to feel a part of things at first. A kick off social hour before the speakers with a chance to meet the speakers and attendees would be nice.

We arrived late and left early due to award flights. I wish I had more time to mingle. There were no introductions done for people other than the main speakers. It was tough trying to track down people by just their name tags.

nothing really.

I would have liked maybe a quick morning session on Sunday.

FM could be better ;-)

Much of what was discussed is already available online. I would have preferred to learn some more specific strategies that are not as well known.

I feel like I learned very little.

Too large. And with many participants(the particular table I unfortunately sat at) were very 'clicky' and secretive. I felt excluded.

Would have preferred it to be longer, the day seemed to go too quickly especially with the Q&A for the panel

I know something you don't know attitude.

same speakers except BMG and MM

11/11/2014 10:13 AM View respondent's answers
N/A

Wish the structured parts were longer. Possibly have speakers lead smaller and more focused groups. And MS is not focused - down to the level of: Efficient MS /w focus on cashback, rewards earnings focused on your favorite hotel/airline combo, reselling for a profit, etc...

The presentations were really pretty basic. If you read the blogs you knew 99% of what was presented.

Phoenix is NOT the West Coast............

11/11/2014 1:33 AM View respondent's answers
FM, MM and BOSman's presentation had no content. Even though FM and MM were funny, there was no meat at all.

Wish the event started a little bit earlier than 10 am so that there would be a bit more time for Q&A for each speaker. The evening reception was a bit too crowded for my tastes.

Not meeting enough people. Would have liked shorter presentations and smaller group discussions. Most of my new info came from one-on-one. Plenty in the audience were more knowledgeable than some of the speakers.

It wasn't long enough! Maybe some time to self organize into 30-minute self selected topics that we could organize and share stuff with each other.

Lack of focus of presenters.

People were generally friendly and open. However, there was still an element of caginess and one-upmanship in some of the discussions. However, the number of people made it possible to find people you clicked with.

The price of the really very basic rooms.

Having the event one day from 10am-5pm seemed too short for me, maybe have something Friday evening or Sunday morning/afternoon.

Q6 What would you like to see more (or less) of in the future:

I think breakout sessions to allow people to interact more and to focus more on their areas on interest would have been nice. I could have done without that presentation from big habitat on buying and selling--i'm not interested in that at all and for me it was a boring waste of time. I wish there had been some Sunday meetups.

I think we could work in more speakers and content

More organized social events. I learned the most during the 'off' times just talking with people. I'd have been happier with less formal time and more organized or semiorganized social time. Maybe an all inclusive resort or short cruise...

More social times in a quieter environment. It was pretty loud at times and tough to carry on a conversation. Maybe smaller breakout sessions on a particular topic???

I would like to possibly see a few more speakers

More great speakers like Marathon Man & Tahsir! And more events for socializing

Next location should be MS-important. Like RedBird-enabled area, or area with concentration of right credit unions.

More specific strategies

If I'm not going to hear about new techniques then I would like to hear stories about how old ones were discovered. I think this could help develop the mindset to go and find new deals on our own.

More information on how to use the miles and points we have been collecting. I know one of the presenters said he could answer booking questions - but that seemed like it might be too specific to the individual asking and that is why I didn't take that opportunity to ask.

Being it was my first event I have nothing to compare the format to, in general I was quite happy with how it went. Maybe an extra half day or so with some structure would allow more of us to schedule time to get together. I'd like to see a regional component for future events, maybe an hour or so for people from each different region to get together, meet one another and discuss their methods for getting around regional roadblocks.

Make a decision...either make venue smaller and share ideas or limit to a no beginner meeting.

same amount of people. Don't make it any bigger because it will lose the close-knit feeling.

n/a

More social time and more advanced discussions.

Make it a two day event. Or at least have something on Sunday morning. It could be just a two hour open breakfast session. Give people another opportunity to interact.

Better availability of rooms for everyone that wanted it. Maybe an optional field trip for "beginners".

More time to discuss topics rather than sitting thru presentations. Maybe offer people ability to speak in smaller groups to a few knowledgeable MSers. Found the Q&A the most enlightening portion.

More time to talk with other participants through self selected facilitated conversations around different topic. Maybe also a session where everyone shares their 2-3 biggest failures/mistakes but only if someone else hasn't already shared something similar so we can learn from others mistakes and not repeat them ourselves.

More social opportunities for networking. More niche and specialty subjects covered, or opportunities to interact in small groups to share individual specialties and information.

Perhaps breakout tables where people could congregate based on a common interest (e.g., liquidating GCs, reselling, online options). Or maybe have 1-2 moderators/experts at each table and have people rotate around a few tables.

Less presentations. More focus on opportunities for meeting and chatting with others.

I would like to see it be scheduled as a 2-day event. Some people will come early or leave late, but it will give more time for travel and award presentations, and time to give presenters flexible speaking schedules.

More diversity of topics. MS was covered 99% of the time.

Last edited:

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Hey Matt! Great job on the DO. We enjoyed ourselves a lot and wished that we had more than 36 hours on the ground (arrived very late Fri. and left early Sun.) to hang out and talk. I'll add a few comments.

1. @Milenomics needs a headline gig next time. I liked what I heard from him on the panel.
2. You need to introduce your Saverocity crew at the beginning of the event. It was tough tracking people down by name tags when you don't know what they look like.
3. Lunch was great and the best time to chat. The after event social was really loud and crowded - maybe I'm just old now??? We needed a bit more space and quiet.

This was the first I've attended so I have nothing to compare it to...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Matt! Great job on the DO. We enjoyed ourselves a lot and wished that we had more than 36 hours on the ground (arrived very late Fri. and left early Sun.) to hang out and talk. I'll add a few comments.

1. @Milenomics needs a headline gig next time. I liked what I heard from him on the panel.
2. You need to introduce your Saverocity crew at the beginning of the event. It was tough tracking people down by name tags when you don't know what they look like.
3. Lunch was great and the best time to chat. The after event social was really loud and crowded - maybe I'm just old now??? We needed a bit more space and quiet.

This was the first I've attended so I have nothing to compare it to...
1. Yep - I thought Sam was stellar too.
2. Sorry :(
3. Agreed, I the last party was better, and you are getting old - thanks for the Kilt Lifter :)

italdesign

Level 2 Member
My thoughts as a first timer:

Location (area) - fantastic. Easy to get to and plenty to do afterwards.

Venue - fantastic. The resort ambiance plus good weather and outdoor made a huge difference over something like an enclosed Holiday Inn. It just makes happier people. The higher room rate doesn't bother me, as long as there are other hotel options.

Social time - fantastic. Agree with MarkD the extended lunch was great for chatting (but agree with Matt the evening was even better :p). I would like to see even more social time, maybe longer breaks. That's where I learned the most.

Presentations - very good content, but too big for my liking. I prefer smaller and more discussions. But that's just my preference.

Food - very good, no complaints.

That's all I can think of for now.