#westcoastDO Official Thread - hotel options, cheap rates, room shares

TBB

Level 2 Member
Inn at the Firesky for Fr & Sat night. This is unlike me but this is where the Barclay Arrival card comes in (oops, wrong forum...oh wait, I don't even have a link lol).

I may bring the elusive Mrs. TBB and maybe even my 11 year old daughter...but this depends on school stuff...we have 4 months to worry about this.

I heard so much about Kimpton I am looking forward to it.

They are "enhancing" their loyalty program very very soon...so I hope it is not the type of the latest enhancements we have seen lately!

PointsCentric

Level 2 Member
I am also in for Firesky Friday and Saturday night. I was leaning towards Hyatt House but once the $159 rate became available again, I booked it. Just a little bit easier staying at the host hotel.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt I didn't get your email with the update of honouring the rate, do I still need to call in to Ryan to book?
Hey Geoff,

I didn't get an email from you indicating interest, I'll check to see if there are any rooms left.

Calling in doesn't work at this point.
Best

Matt

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
I'm surpised people are using the Barclays Arrival card for the hotel. I though the trick was to make a refundable travel booking, apply the Arrival points, and then later cancel the refundable travel booking. This way you can use a card earning a category bonus at the hotel.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surpised people are using the Barclays Arrival card for the hotel. I though the trick was to make a refundable travel booking, apply the Arrival points, and then later cancel the refundable travel booking. This way you can use a card earning a category bonus at the hotel.
Not everybody is comfortable with doing things like that, personally its an ethical grey area and furthermore not worth it to me. I just cashed in my arrival points after about a year of them sitting there, sure I could have put the money to work in the market instead, but it is only about $600.

Now, when you look at hotel bonus cards, I would say we are talking about 2x UR (Bold or CSP) as best case. I can't see how 2x UR is worth THAT much more than 2.22% earned on the Arrival (though if spent properly on transfer partners I would value it higher than 2.22%)

In short... its a bit unethical (as are many things) and more importantly, it isn't worth the fuss, or risking your relationship on the Arrival card (IMO) to squeak out a few basis points of a percentage.

Alpen_Geoff

Level 2 Member
Hey Geoff,

I didn't get an email from you indicating interest, I'll check to see if there are any rooms left.

Calling in doesn't work at this point.
Best

Matt
Just sent you another email Matt, let me know if you get it. Thanks for all you've put into this!

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
Not everybody is comfortable with doing things like that, personally its an ethical grey area and furthermore not worth it to me. I just cashed in my arrival points after about a year of them sitting there, sure I could have put the money to work in the market instead, but it is only about $600.

Now, when you look at hotel bonus cards, I would say we are talking about 2x UR (Bold or CSP) as best case. I can't see how 2x UR is worth THAT much more than 2.22% earned on the Arrival (though if spent properly on transfer partners I would value it higher than 2.22%)

In short... its a bit unethical (as are many things) and more importantly, it isn't worth the fuss, or risking your relationship on the Arrival card (IMO) to squeak out a few basis points of a percentage.
When you redeem Arrival point for a hotel stay, do you still earn 2 points per dollar on the spend for that hotel? I think we might be talking about quite a few basis points here depending on valuation and if you factor in the CSP 7% bonus. If you value 1 UR point at 1.5 cents, that would mean a return of 3.21% versus the 2.22% with the Arrival card, so that would be 0.99% more. Anyway, we are getting off-topic, but it's an opportunity cost I haven't seen being considered when people say the Arrival card earns 2.22% cash-back. PS: Yes, it is unethical and one would not be acting in good faith.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Like every other statement credit program I know of (Discover, AMEX Blue, etc) you do not lose points when you redeem. So for a $600 purchase wind up getting $13.33 in points toward travel rather than 1200 UR with Ink or up to 1284 UR with CSP. I do choose to book prepaid hotels so I can keep my Arrival points balance down, even though I know I may have to cancel some of them.

Last edited:

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Inn at the Firesky for Fr & Sat night. This is unlike me but this is where the Barclay Arrival card comes in (oops, wrong forum...oh wait, I don't even have a link lol).

I may bring the elusive Mrs. TBB and maybe even my 11 year old daughter...but this depends on school stuff...we have 4 months to worry about this.

I heard so much about Kimpton I am looking forward to it.

They are "enhancing" their loyalty program very very soon...so I hope it is not the type of the latest enhancements we have seen lately!
It would be great if you brought your daughter, there should be lots of kids around her age.

Laura

Level 2 Member
I am at Firesky Friday and Sunday... just booked it at $159 for each night, separate reservations. I booked the Doubletree on points for Saturday.

Haley

I am not a robot
I'm booked at the Firesky Friday and sat night, and got the discounted rate. Anyone want to share a room and split the cost?
(I assume we would both get the free stuff....mainly the drinks)
I'm guessing you are a guy, might want to specify if you are ok with female room mates or not. Also the rooms blocked off for us are all King rooms. You can contact Ryan and he will make sure you get two queens. No price difference.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I'm looking for information, suggestions and advice. I'm attending with another MSer (I'd have to drag my SO kicking and screaming) and her BF. She booked us two rooms at the W Scottsdale at the $99 gov't rate. She's in the middle of a job search and may not be able to attend which means I couldn't get the gov't rate and I'd be at a hotel a few blocks away alone. I'm older and several blocks away doesn't really appeal to me. I'd prefer Firesky --walking upstairs rather than a few blocks-- but not at $299. (not quite ready for a share). I've looked at Chaparral and that seems to be another option.

Any help or advice from natives in terms of distances, ride shares or any help at all will be appreciated. Thanks!

ZapperO

Level 2 Member
I have a cash and points rate at both the Hyatt House and Hyatt Place down the road for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. If anyone is interested in sharing a room and splitting the cost for one or more nights it would only be about $50/night per person. Haven't decided which one I'm staying in but both are the same price.

Anyone stayed in either property before and know which one is nicer?

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Just booked a nonstop return flight PHX-PDX on Southwest for $98.10. I may be the only one here without a stash of Southwest points and while I intended to use Avios, this flight was nonstop at a perfect time so I grabbed it. Couldn't find anything as good for the PDX-PHX leg so I still need to book that.

Just posting here to provide a head's up that Southwest is running a fall fare sale with some good deals right now. Take a peek if it will help you get to PHX or back from the DO.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
A quick reminder to those folks confirmed at the Firesky. If, for some reason, you do need to cancel please do NOT cancel directly with Firesky as @Matt has posted previously. If you do, that rate will vanish and we won't be able to transfer that room to someone who wants to stay at Firesky but wasn't able to book the conference rate. Working with @Matt and the hotel, I've arranged a very easy transfer system. All you have to do is contact me (or Matt) by PM or at- anhedon1a@comcast.net and let me know the details. I will then contact Ryan, he will transfer your room to someone on the wait list and your reservation will be cancelled. Thanks!

sc801

Level 2 Member
I have a cash and points rate at both the Hyatt House and Hyatt Place down the road for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. If anyone is interested in sharing a room and splitting the cost for one or more nights it would only be about $50/night per person. Haven't decided which one I'm staying in but both are the same price.

Anyone stayed in either property before and know which one is nicer?
They are both nice properties... the Hyatt House is designed as more of an extended stay property so each 'room' is actually a little suite with a separate living area/standard fridge/etc. The Hyatt Place is designed for business travelers and everything is pretty much in one room... there is still a seating area and a small fridge and sink... both offer breakfast ....
The Hyatt House breakfast is a little more substantial than Hyatt Place.... same with the decor... Hyatt House (like a Regency) is just a wee bit more 'luxury' than the Hyatt Place (more like an Andaz).
Either place .... you'll have a good stay.

I booked at Hyatt House because I really enjoyed my stay at the one in Sterling VA.

Katstarr

Level 2 Member
I will probably be staying at Hyatt House Friday night, Hyatt Place Saturday night, and Hyatt House again on Sunday night. I'm also holding a reservation at Firesky for Saturday night - I'm not certain whether I'll keep it or not.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Plans are changing here due to school stuff kids don't want to miss. I have worked out a room share and have a spare reservation at Firesky for Friday and Saturday at the group rate. Please send a message if you'd like to get it transferred.

Last edited:

superdrew

Level 2 Member
Also, for those looking for flights from DTW, There is Friday Low award on AA or US direct flights for 10k Avios each way...

skuldyie

Level 2 Member
Open to roomshare if someone still needs something. Have Fri night at Doubletree Resort Scottsdale and Sat at FireSky.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Head's up - I just cancelled a paid res I had at the Hyatt Place for Fri arrival/Mon checkout so perhaps some award space has opened up if you still need a place.