Wells Fargo 5% and payment processing question

Jason

Level 2 Member
Was curious if anyone else has the Wells Fargo 5% cash back (gas and grocery for six months) card and can give any insight into how they apply payments? I've had the card for almost two months and it boggles the mind. My account balance is negative (I've overpaid) but my available credit is $0.00. Searched all over for an answer and finally called them for clarification. The agent said due to my account activity they are doing a "float", I've never heard that term before, but see what it means now. She said my latest payments have a 11 day and 14! day float before they will apply to the account and reflect in my available credit. Never heard of anything like this before. I previously made payments directly from my linked WF checking account for instant funds availability but that seems to have stopped being instant as well. Hoping the agent is mistaken.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
They apply payments v e r y s l o w l y -- as well as the posting of transactions. Weekends are the worst. But it's surprising if your payments are from your checking. Usually heard of reports of third party payments that are held longer.

Were you cycling your CL? Have your checked out the WF thread on FT?

This always makes me chuckle (pfdigest)...
wellsWTF.png

Last edited:

Jason

Level 2 Member
I looked at FT but didn't see a 5% thread. Only 5x points one. Yeah cycling CL weekly.

Jason

Level 2 Member
It used to be horrible! Every single time. Denied. Had to use the automated system or call in to clear. The manager at the grocery store would say, poor guy. She knew when I was up on my phone and the cashier was waiting or we would have to suspend the transaction and restart it after clearing. But after about 35 days they stopped happening. Thankfully.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
It used to be horrible! Every single time. Denied. Had to use the automated system or call in to clear. The manager at the grocery store would say, poor guy. She knew when I was up on my phone and the cashier was waiting or we would have to suspend the transaction and restart it after clearing. But after about 35 days they stopped happening. Thankfully.
Thanks. Man, that's still pretty rough. So, probably 20x $1k transactions before it pretty much stopped? SMH not looking forward to all that mess. Good thing it is an automated line!

Jason

Level 2 Member
Yeah, used to do over $10k but accounting said no more, it requires paperwork and they absolutely do not want to do it. So $9999.99 limit. Even gc fees they count. But they all know me and are super nice. I stick to my one friendly store.
Varies by store, some stores are $2k limit or $2.5k

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Yeah, used to do over $10k but accounting said no more, it requires paperwork and they absolutely do not want to do it. So $9999.99 limit. Even gc fees they count. But they all know me and are super nice. I stick to my one friendly store.
Varies by store, some stores are $2k limit or $2.5k
Wow... that's a ton of food... and it all fits in one shopping cart? :)

druiddation

Level 2 Member
Do you know if WF codes Target as a grocery store? I was looking at their home rebate card which seems to have the same 6 month bonus as their cash back card.