Welcome To Bootcamp

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Bootcamp has been brought into the Forum as a basic step between moving from Level 1 to Level 2. I have been quite open with who gains access to Level 2 in the past because I feel that it is more important that good people can participate than they have to 'prove' themselves.

However, it has been pointed out to me that such an approach invites a lot of new folk to perhaps 'bite off more than they can chew'. As such, this step is intended to help provide a basic level of training and shared understanding prior to participating in any of the MS or Travel Hack activities within.

Please see the Wiki at the top for a list of resource documents I'd like everyone to review going forward. If you are very new to the hobby I recommend you read them all, however, even if you are experienced I recommend that you at least read the 'when to call in' article, as it also shows how we approach things here.

I welcome questions and feedback on this, and look forward to seeing you in Level 2 soon.

Gail

Level 2 Member
Bootcamp has been brought into the Forum as a basic step between moving from Level 1 to Level 2. I have been quite open with who gains access to Level 2 in the past because I feel that it is more important that good people can participate than they have to 'prove' themselves.

However, it has been pointed out to me that such an approach invites a lot of new folk to perhaps 'bite off more than they can chew'. As such, this step is intended to help provide a basic level of training and shared understanding prior to participating in any of the MS or Travel Hack activities within.

Please see the Wiki at the top for a list of resource documents I'd like everyone to review going forward. If you are very new to the hobby I recommend you read them all, however, even if you are experienced I recommend that you at least read the 'when to call in' article, as it also shows how we approach things here.

I welcome questions and feedback on this, and look forward to seeing you in Level 2 soon.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
All of the blog sites have "beginner's guides..." If one has truly done their homework -- reading through the FT threads, before jumping in... the lexicon & abbreviations are learned. The one I didn't get was "Kate," and why she's WM's most popular "employee" -- as I never had to go to a WM until CVS stopped Serve loads & I acquired ST delta, UFB debit cards and other GPR's (general prepaid reloadable's).

I'm surprised Mr. Bowtie / Circles & Arrows doesn't have an abbreviation list LOL

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I think one thing that would really help newbies is a list of abbreviations. Love your blogs
I addressed this same question in another thread recently and will give the same answer here:

The purpose of Bootcamp is not to help newbies. It is to help the gigs.

While there are pro's and con's to a list or lexicon for this the goal of that is to help Newbies understand internal dialogue better, which can be good or can go down the route of over empowering them with weak foundations. It's a different goal.

Hope that makes sense.

Brit

Level 2 Member
Love the "Mr Bowtie/Circles and Arrows" quote. But, I also have to say that I do find his blog useful and informative, even if it is quite repetitive and so obviously pushing credit cards.

I don't mind that though. If he (or any good quality blogger) is furnishing me with information that is helpful and useful, I don't mind that they can earn a few crusts through the CC links. They are, after all, putting in a lot of time and effort to help me with my quest to get free travel.

aftrhrs

I dont have time to blog to often but I would like to contribute to the form. I guess I`m still listed as level 1
:-(

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I dont have time to blog to often but I would like to contribute to the form. I guess I`m still listed as level 1
:-(
We'd like it if you don't blog at all - especially about Level 2 stuff :) Send me a message to upgrade your access.

aftrhrs

Thanks I`ve been limited because I live in Hawaii you cant order Am Exp GC...not allowed in Hawaii. But I just found a website that will.
Now waiving the 5.9% convenience fee - for a limited time!! And - as always - FREE ground shipping on all orders.
Note:A $3.00 per Card purchase fee will be added to each Card ordered.
My problem is unloading em.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks I`ve been limited because I live in Hawaii you cant order Am Exp GC...not allowed in Hawaii. But I just found a website that will.
Now waiving the 5.9% convenience fee - for a limited time!! And - as always - FREE ground shipping on all orders.
Your problem is both buying them and unloading them? You got a world full of problems!

Hank

Level 2 Member
Hi Matt,

How can I upgrade my access so I can read what you tweeted regarding "Unorthodox" card for MS?

ChuckSithe

Level 2 Member
Hi Matt, I got that 'Error' message around 1000 times so far. 1000 is the charm, hoping I can upgrade my membership in the forum to stop getting those annoying Error messages!

Cheers,
Chuck

Laura

Level 2 Member
Hey Matt, I used to have level 2 and did contribute in the past. I dropped off the face of the earth. I'm back! Can I have access again?

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
No, your problem is that there's no cashback offered on these Amex cards. So you're paying $503 and getting a $500 card, which you'll use for $500 in purchases. But you could have done these with the original card used to buy the GC.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Matt, I got that 'Error' message around 1000 times so far. 1000 is the charm, hoping I can upgrade my membership in the forum to stop getting those annoying Error messages!

Cheers,
Chuck
Yep, can upgrade you but a key house rule is no sharing elsewhere - means you can enjoy for personal use only, and no blogging...

ChuckSithe

Level 2 Member
Yep, can upgrade you but a key house rule is no sharing elsewhere - means you can enjoy for personal use only, and no blogging...
Yep, that's really why I was hesitant to sign up. After enough Error messages, I figured I'd try it out and stick to the no blogging rule.

Thanks!

Chocoholick

Level 2 Member
Hi Matt,

Quick question: I was told recently by a Staples manager that I couldn't buy VGCs with my CC. Not sure where to post this question, since it relates to MS. I'm new to the forum, hence the newbie question.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Matt,

Quick question: I was told recently by a Staples manager that I couldn't buy VGCs with my CC. Not sure where to post this question, since it relates to MS. I'm new to the forum, hence the newbie question.
We keep the MS discussions inside Level 2. If you want to join that, start a conversation with me (under inbox or clicking my profile). In terms of your manager, such things will come up. You could attempt to organize a hit on him via the Tor network, but that will not guarantee that his replacement will be MS friendly... you may wish to try another store.

Suze

Helpful introductory material. I will need to study the discussions to gain understanding and grasp the intricacies of the process. Like the positive, upbeat feel of the site.
Hopefully, level 2 here I come.

ali

Possible to move to level 2. I am pretty good at MS (was doing at over 100K/month during the Vanilla reload/One Vanilla /PP/GD back in 2013-14. Still easily can MS about 50K and I PROMISED NOT TO SHARE or BLOG what I read here.

Am I ready or what?

Patty

Hi Matt, I haven't had reason to ask to be admitted to level 2 but a headline post on timeshare hacking caught my eye and I'd like to read it. I have been doing this for a few years and I get together with others from Ann Arbor Michigan for meet ups a few times a year. I share with no one outside of the people I have met here. Also I love your posts and philosophy in general so I am asking to please be admitted to level 2. Thank you. Patty

Billiken

Level 2 Member
Matt: Level 2?

Have been MSing for just under 3 years (started post-Mint).
Activity of, on average, 42k/month.
Nearly all points (not cash) as I have had great success in burning miles for "saver level" F/suites travel on UA, AA, SQ, LH, OZ.
("Harvested" yield is way above $0.02/mile.)

Thanks

Billiken

Edited to add: Flyertalk since May 2002

Last edited:

Risk

Level 2 Member
I think one thing that would really help newbies is a list of abbreviations. Love your blogs
When I started reading travel blogs, abbreviations were a major hurdle. Then I realized that I could Google for them, together with the relevant context. For example, Googling for "Walmart Kate" brings up "How to load Bluebird or Serve at a Walmart ATM Kiosk."

In a civil forum like this one, the easiest thing is to do is to ask the community.

Last edited:

gan911

been MSing via simon + WM MO. used to have one vip and serve....the one vip got killed recently. Mostly doing SPG right now. I'm mixing a little of the 300 staples VC GC. can you let me onto level 2 or somehow let me read the articles that you send out in the email?

JCPoints16

JCMiling
I realize this may be a dumb question but how the hell do I change my username?? I'm looking in my account setting/profile and can't figure it out. My posts keeps showing up as John Cunningham and I would like to change it.
Thanks

Renee

N0rthernbelle
I realize this may be a dumb question but how the hell do I change my username?? I'm looking in my account setting/profile and can't figure it out. My posts keeps showing up as John Cunningham and I would like to change it.
Thanks
John, that isn't a dumb question at all, because I had the same trouble and just yesterday, Matt, helped me to change it. You fell into the same trap I did, when you signed up you entered your full name in the field that becomes your username. I hunted all over and found something that said that once your username is set it can't be changed, and I thought the only option was to create a new account. Yesterday, I sent a message to Matt, the administrator, and he was able to change it for me in 30 seconds.

Sorry Matt if I just created more work for you!