Warm, sunny, easy to get to from Munich in January?

Erin

Level 2 Member
I'm currently on an expat assignment in Bavaria and want to get the family somewhere warm and sunny before we head home at the end of January. My original plan of Sharm Al Sheikh, Egypt is off the table due to geopolitical strife. My next thought was Morocco but I'm not sure about that one either.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good, relaxing option at the end of January? I've got a stash of URs, SPGs and 2 Arrival+ bonuses ($800) to use in making this happen.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently on an expat assignment in Bavaria and want to get the family somewhere warm and sunny before we head home at the end of January. My original plan of Sharm Al Sheikh, Egypt is off the table due to geopolitical strife. My next thought was Morocco but I'm not sure about that one either.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good, relaxing option at the end of January? I've got a stash of URs, SPGs and 2 Arrival+ bonuses ($800) to use in making this happen.

Thanks in advance.
How about southern France or the Canaries?

Erin

Level 2 Member
2 votes for Canaries. Time to start looking for flights/rooms.

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on specific towns/islands? It looks like there are some different options and much like Hawaii each island has a different character?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
2 votes for Canaries. Time to start looking for flights/rooms.

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on specific towns/islands? It looks like there are some different options and much like Hawaii each island has a different character?
I've not been since childhood so don't know exactly what is best, but there are some good guides:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canary-islands
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187466-i152-k5110731-What_island_should_we_go_to-Canary_Islands.html

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Yes, AB is Air Berlin, and to answer direct, I don't know about transfer partners. But Air Berlin is One World, so you can use AA miles or BA Avios on them. Popular because they do not have fuel surcharges (knock on wood).

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
Sorry, "AB"? Air Berlin? Do they have point transfer partners? Thanks!
Yes, Air Berlin. they fly to most islands in the Canaries from most major cities in Germany (Berlin, Dusseldorf, Munich, Hamburg, Liepzig etc...). You can see destinations / routes via the OneWorld map here:

Code:
http://onw.innosked.com/?show=MAP

Erin

Level 2 Member
Wow, air Berlin wants 200k miles PLUS 700 Euro to get there. I can get paid flights for right around 1k Euro so the flight will not be using miles.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
That is a lot, I think there are better options if you're looking at using Air Berlin miles. It's 10k miles + $45 each way with AA miles (from your SPG account) flying AB and their subsidiary Niki, although availability looks slim. It's 15k BA Avios + $46 on Iberia each way, with a stop in Madrid. If you find a non-stop on Air Berlin then it is 12.5k miles and $45. Also I'm seeing Air Berlin fares at 160 Euros RT if you want cash, so quite a bit less than 200k and 700 euros.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, air Berlin wants 200k miles PLUS 700 Euro to get there. I can get paid flights for right around 1k Euro so the flight will not be using miles.
You don't actually use Air Berlin miles, you use the miles in your program (AA or BA) and fly on AB metal.