Walmart.com has really upped their game

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
Like many people, I have been doing more and more (and more) online shopping. For years, that has meant Amazon. But I have noticed in the last few months that if I run a price comparison, increasingly I am finding better prices at Walmart.com than Amazon.com. I bought my wife some sunscreen (a particular brand that she likes, albeit expensive) a few weeks ago. Walmart.com's price was more than 50% less than what I found at Amazon.

Shopping at Walmart.com has a few other nice advantages. I start at cashbackmonitor.com and go through a shopping portal. There are usually many portals that provide a small reward for linking to Walmart.com, so this gives me the chance to earn a few miles or cashback or refresh an award program that might be expiring soon. The only portal that I can use for Amazon is JetBlue.

Amazon does have the advantage that I can buy Amazon gift cards at an office supply store with my Ink Cash card. I don't know any way to do that for Walmart.com except when WalMart is a quarterly bonus category (on the Chase Freedom, for example).

Anyway, a much better price beats a few points. I'm suggesting you check Walmart.com before you click the Purchase button at Amazon.

Disclaimer: I don't work for any of these companies.

k0wned

The strategy of Amazon is interesting. They are so big, that they don't need to win people over anymore. They have great deals on high visibility products to keep the perception that they are still have the lowest prices anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, their prices are usually still competitive, but prices tend to be 10-15% lower on ebay for example if you can wait a bit on the shipping

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
This is the heart of reselling.. you buy them on Walmart and sell them on Amazon and make the profit that you're calling a price discrepancy..

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Amazon does have the advantage that I can buy Amazon gift cards at an office supply store with my Ink Cash card. I don't know any way to do that for Walmart.com except when WalMart is a quarterly bonus category (on the Chase Freedom, for example).
There are a few options for WM. You can buy WM GCs at Gyft and get 5x with your Ink Plus/Cash. You can also buy WM GCs at neighborhood markets using an OBC for 5% CB.

projectx

Level 2 Member
The strategy of Amazon is interesting. They are so big, that they don't need to win people over anymore. They have great deals on high visibility products to keep the perception that they are still have the lowest prices anywhere.
Kind of like Kroger. We switched to Aldi some time ago and have been telling people how much money we save. "yeah... but, but... my shopper card gets me deals!" Ok, well, our grocery bill has dropped by over $400 a month. "Yeah, but... but... fuel points!" :rolleyes:

Perception is everything.

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
Aldi's website lists forms of payment: cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, most debit cards.

rsvp

X Marks The Spot

Don't get me wrong, their prices are usually still competitive, but prices tend to be 10-15% lower on ebay for example if you can wait a bit on the shipping
Amazon may not have the lowest prices anymore in some cases, but whenever the few times I have to return something or there is a problem with my order they always take care of me. Their service is reliably top notch vs eBay / eBay sellers. In any case, I heavily use CCC to get the best prices.