Walgreens deal on VGCs week of Oct 5 - Oct 11

loves2fly

Gold Member
A good friend shared this deal with me. On page 8 of the ad it says Free $5 Walgreens GC *with card and purchase of any two Vanilla Visa GCs. The picture shows the variable VGC so this is perfect for MS. This deal is a repeat and it is great for those whose stores insists on selling just one. Showing them the ad worked for most, since offer required purchase of 2 ;)

*must have the Balance Rewards Card to get this deal. You can sign up for this at the register and get it instantly.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Great deal. Looks like I'm going to have to cancel my cruise that week... I doubt they have any WG in the Caribbean...

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I have the same problem. We return from Chile the last night. Maybe my husband wouldn't mind if we swing past Wags on the way back from the airport?? Highly doubtful. I guess it depends upon how the trip goes.

loves2fly

Gold Member
I'm curious - since you need the Rewards card to get the deal, do you earn Rewards points on the purchase? I thought giftcards weren't supposed to earn points.
The rewards card mentioned here is Walgreens store card to keep track of customers purchases. You will still earn your rewards in points/miles/CB depending on the CC you use. If you don't scan this balance rewards card, it will not prompt for the $5 WAG GC wyb 2 Vanilla GCs. I bought 2 OVs each time the last time this offer was on and I got my RD from amex OBC.

loves2fly

Gold Member
This offer is on starting today!

for those who got the 5% offer on certain merchants and chose WAG, you can buy 2 OVs this week. This is different from the Q4 offer of 5% CB on up to $1500 online purchases.

loves2fly

Gold Member
Worked today for 2 OVs. I used DiscIT to pay $1K and paid the fees with OBC. I checked the balance in the car and went to the WM across the street to load it to Kate. It took me total of 6 swipes for her to take both but I'm glad I was able to pay bills with the load.

wasser

Level 2 Member
How you are supposed to receive the WAG $5 gift card?
The reason I'm asking is because I bought two VGCs today and the clerk couldn't figure it out, and neither could the manager. They just decided to ring up a $5 gc separately and not charge me.

loves2fly

Gold Member
I brought the WAG GC that can load $5 up to $500 together with the 2 OVs. When the register didn't prompt to swipe the WAG GC, AM swiped the WAG GC and input $5 in it. Without punching other buttons, the WGC rang up us WALG Basic card N/D $5-$500 0.00 sale. Underneath, it says Rewards Savings 5.00 It also shows Balance Rewards Savings: 5.00

The last time at another store, after swiping the OVs and my BRC, there was a prompt at the register for cashier to swipe a WGC for $5. Even w/o the prompt, as long as the BRC is scanned, the WGC will ring up at zero and loaded with $5. You'll get a print out showing the card number with $5 loaded to it similar to the printouts for the OVs with their respective control numbers and load.

@wasser, if you didn't swipe your BRC, that might be the case. But if you already did, they can just ring it up and it'll still ring up zero since 2 Vanilla GCs were purchased.

wasser

Level 2 Member
@wasser, if you didn't swipe your BRC, that might be the case. But if you already did, they can just ring it up and it'll still ring up zero since 2 Vanilla GCs were purchased.
She voided the order several times, so maybe that's why. Anyway, thanks for making it clear to me. I'm not all that familiar with Walgreens.

As for the OVs, are you implying that the register doesn't differentiate between the VGC and the OV? (There used to be cents off coupons that would list one product, but were generally good for anything the company made.)

loves2fly

Gold Member
She voided the order several times, so maybe that's why. Anyway, thanks for making it clear to me. I'm not all that familiar with Walgreens.

As for the OVs, are you implying that the register doesn't differentiate between the VGC and the OV? (There used to be cents off coupons that would list one product, but were generally good for anything the company made.)
I was never questioned by cashiers nor did any WAG register reject the OVs several times this offer came up. Must be that all vanilla GCs are coded the same way.

credipig

Level 2 Member
Went to a WG yesterday at 1pm and easily bought 2 VGCs with the $5 WG GC. Went to the same store again at 4:30 - different cashier told me WG policy is to only allow $500 a day is VGCs. I pointed to the current ad, and he wouldn't budge.

wasser

Level 2 Member
Went to a WG yesterday at 1pm and easily bought 2 VGCs with the $5 WG GC. Went to the same store again at 4:30 - different cashier told me WG policy is to only allow $500 a day is VGCs. I pointed to the current ad, and he wouldn't budge.
The best course for refusals is to politely say that you no longer want the cards and come back another time. You have no idea what the store policy is, and you don't want to call attention to the first clerk by having the "rules clerk" talk to management about people coming in wanting to use a credit card. Of course the "rules clerk" could be wrong, but do you want to take that chance?

Also the store ad says nothing about the sort of tender one is allowed to use, so it wasn't helping your case. Challenging cashiers about accepting credit cards is almost always a bad idea.

credipig

Level 2 Member
I didn't challenge anyone, and I didn't mention my earlier purchase to the clerk. I merely cited the store's ad. Been doing this for a while.

Last edited:

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I have always avoided One Vanillas, in part because I can often get Paypowers which are fee free, but also because the OVs seems hard to liquidate. So I haven't followed all the ins and outs of draining OVs.

So: it sounds like I can buy Visa Gift Cards with the offer. Is that true?

And: If I must buy One Vanillas, what's the easiest way to drain them?

Thanks!

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
I have always avoided One Vanillas, in part because I can often get Paypowers which are fee free, but also because the OVs seems hard to liquidate. So I haven't followed all the ins and outs of draining OVs.

So: it sounds like I can buy Visa Gift Cards with the offer. Is that true?

And: If I must buy One Vanillas, what's the easiest way to drain them?

Thanks!
You can also drain with Family Dollar. Can't load more than $500 day without their system locking up. Unless something has changed...

loves2fly

Gold Member
Looks like you all have WAGs that take CC for GCs. Any one find any in near/in Phx?
If you know of any of the store managers, find time to talk to them. In the past, the cashiers told me ALL GCs were cash only but that didn't stop me from talking to one of the friendly SM and I found out from her that NOT ALL cards are cash only. There were ONLY certain cards hard coded for cash and they are Balance Financial, VR, Netspend and GDMP. All the other GCs including PPMC, Amex, Visa, MC can be bought with CC. If they do not know the customer, they may request to see DL to match the CC.

I couldn't forgive myself if I just took as policy what the cashier told me; it didn't hurt to ask the SM and I was pleasantly surprised by what I found out.

There's no harm asking especially if done in a friendly way. Go for it! :)

hsinaz

Level 2 Member
Ha :) It worked. I think the VRs are the ones they don't sell with CC. Done with my 1K at Wag by this monthend deal.Thank you!