VW TDI Buying for Profit?

shenvatele

Level 2 Member
Not sure where this should go.... just wondering if anyone else has bought up any TDI's since VW has announced the details of their buyback program. A few weeks ago I was seeing cars that would next $5-7k... looks like most of the deals have been snatched up now.

Dandan

Level 2 Member
Because a car may have more than one owner during the relevant period, for those cars that changed hands after September 18, 2015 and during the claims period, the settlement equitably divides the Owner Restitution payment approximately 50/50 between the owner as of September 18, 2015 who later sold the car (“Eligible Seller”) and the current owner (“Eligible Owner”). To qualify for an Eligible Seller restitution payment, you will have at least 45 days from the entry of the Preliminary Approval Order to identify yourself. If preliminary approval is granted by the Court on July 26, 2016 (the date of the preliminary approval hearing), you will have until September 16, 2016 to identify yourself. Note that if you sell your car after June 28, 2016, you will not be an Eligible Seller (or an Eligible Owner).
From: http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl/proposed-settlement

shenvatele

Level 2 Member
Yup, the numbers I was looking at included the reduced restitution payment. Still seemed like a good shot and making some extra money!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure where it would go either, but good thinking outside of the box! Haven't checked the terms personally, and a bit too much effort for me, but I like the approach.

russ

Level 2 Member
Great idea. I wish there was more time. I almost want to buy a totalled VW from insurance auction for pennies on the dollar. Just to much risk and the wife will get pissed.

shenvatele

Level 2 Member
Yeah, there are a few exclusions including vehicles with salvage titles and vehicles purchased directly from VW dealers so that might not work. I ended up picking up two vehicles that should next around $5k each after taxes/insurance/etc.

Jedi

Level 2 Member
I am an original owner of a 2010 VW TDI. I registered and suggest making sure your VIN is valid for the emissions payments. I know there are cut offs dates and exclusions, including WHEN YOU ACQUIRED the vechicle.

Here is copy and paste of part of email after I registered that may help you :

"Please click https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/ to continue to the Portal and review next steps and options.

If you believe this email was sent to you in error, please contact the Volkswagen Group of America Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM (844-982-5246)."

ilia

Level 2 Member
Wow great idea that I didn't expect to see here, did you find this on another forum that specializes in these sorts of things?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
LOL, Husband has an '11 TDI, so he's already trying to decide what he'll buy with his payout. Hadn't even thought about getting a second one to turn in for the payout. We could do it in my name...