Virgin America Credit Card issued by Comenity Bank

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
I'm interested in scenarios where I can book provisional flights that I can cancel without penalty so I can wait/hope for saver level award space to open up on a legacy carrier.

For example, I'm eyeing a flight from LAX to BOS on the last day of our spring break in 2015. I've already got lodging booked so I'd really like to leave on Saturday. Virgin America has fair pricing ($194 pp one-way) for 4 seats on direct flights at decent times in economy so I'd like to book them, but also have the flexibility to cancel should saver level space open for even better flight times.

I notice that the cancellation fee on Virgin America is $100 per ticket so I want to avoid that. I recalled that the Virgin America credit card comes with a change/cancellation fee wavier so I was tempted to obtain the card primarily for the benefit of being able to cancel an itinerary for my family.

But in looking into it more closely I found that:
1) The terms of the waiver aren't very clear
2) What is clear isn't as good as I'd hoped

The first problem I noticed was that the ticket had to be purchased with the card. Since I don't have the card yet, I can't book the tickets then get the card later. And I also can't book the tickets with some other bank points currency (like Wells Fargo/TD Rewards for example) and expect the cancellation benefit to convey.

The second problem is that the waiver doesn't apply on award tickets.

The third thing I notice is that the funds associated with a cancelled flight are credited to your Virgin America travel bank where they have to be used within 12 months. That's a deal breaker for me because I may never actually take the flight if saver level space opens on another carrier. I guess my use model is what they're trying to avoid, but hey - I'm willing to pay $150 a year for what's otherwise not that great of a card for me.

From there, details get murkier. I was most specifically interested in whether my entire family's tickets, if booked on the same itinerary, would be eligible for a cancellation waiver.

From the thread on FlyerTalk it is suggested that yes, all passengers on the itinerary are eligible for the waiver if the cardholder is on the itinerary. It would be nice if they'd state that in the T&C's (below).

Overall, this has too many limitations to entice me to sign up for the card given how [in]frequently we'd likely fly Virgin America.

I hope this is helpful and would be interested in hearing about any other gotchas or potentially lucrative benefits associated with the card and Virgin America's loyalty program I may have overlooked. For example, the part about spend going towards elite status that rolls over from one year to the next is similarly not so clear to me at this point.

4. Flight Change/Cancel Fee Waiver. (Premium Cardholders only)

Premium Cardholders are eligible to receive waived change or cancel fees (as published at virginamerica.com) when purchasing non-refundable fares on Virgin America-operated flights. To receive the waived change or cancel fee benefit, you must include your Elevate account number in your reservation and use your Premium Card to purchase your ticket(s) directly from Virgin America. Your Credit Card Account must be in open and not in default at the time of making a change or cancellation to an existing reservation. The waived change or cancel fee benefit is only available on paid Virgin America marketed and operated flights; codeshare flights with a Virgin America flight number but operated by another airline are not eligible. The waived change or cancel fee benefit is not valid for Reward Travel, where the published Elevate redeposit fee will apply for cancellations. When changing a reservation, you will be responsible for paying for any difference in fare in accordance with the original purchased fare rules. Premium cardholders must remain a named passenger on the reservation and include their Elevate account number in order to receive the waived change or cancel fee benefit. When changing or cancelling a reservation, any remaining funds will be credited to your Travel Bank account for future travel on Virgin America. The travel credit is valid within 12 months from the date of change or cancellation. To make a change or cancellation to an existing reservation, you must call the Virgin America Contact Center at 1.877.FLY.VIRGIN (877.359.8474) from the United States and Canada, 001.877.359.8474 from Mexico, or +1.650.762.7005 from other countries prior to your scheduled flight departure time. If you call from the United States, you may access a complimentary telecommunications relay service by dialing 711. If you make a change or cancellation to an existing reservation at virginamerica.com the fee will be charged and then reimbursed to you in the form of a statement credit 6 to 8 weeks after your reservation is changed or canceled.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I was recently looking at this card, the partner award rates are pretty interesting... some of the lowest rates for some NY-EU routes.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
There are some sweet spots. 20k RT LAX-HNL, 35k RT JFK-HNL, . But there are a lot of fuel surcharges.

PointsMahalo

Level 2 Member
There are some sweet spots. 20k RT LAX-HNL, 35k RT JFK-HNL, . But there are a lot of fuel surcharges.
I thought redemptions on Hawaiian Airlines with Virgin didn't have fuel surcharges. Did you get quoted for fuel fees regarding LAX-HNL and JFK-HNL?

PainCorp

I thought redemptions on Hawaiian Airlines with Virgin didn't have fuel surcharges. Did you get quoted for fuel fees regarding LAX-HNL and JFK-HNL?
Sorry, bad wording. I meant those are sweet spots, but a lot of other redemptions have fuel surcharges.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
Some great minds think alike, I've been eyeing the Virgin America card as well especially now that they have a mall and the points being worth 2.2 cents. It's a little bit like saying it's a 2.2% card

misterbwong

Level 2 Member
Some great minds think alike, I've been eyeing the Virgin America card as well especially now that they have a mall and the points being worth 2.2 cents. It's a little bit like saying it's a 2.2% card
Another plus is that it's from Comenity and not from one of the "big boys". Anyone know if Comenity cards are churnable?

PainCorp

Depending on what you're going to use the points for, they're potentially worth a lot more. If you're going to use them on VX flights I would just get a 2(.2)% card.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
This card is always somewhere on my list since I fly VX every so often.

Any experiences with MS tolerance levels on Comenity?

richklhs

Level 2 Member
I've had this card for almost a year. I compile all my rocketmiles.com bookings with the 15,000 point sign up bonus. Partner redemptions without fuel surcharges are pretty great from here in TYO. I havn't had the opportunity to MS with it, but I am going to when I head back to the states for Christmas.

Chum

Level 2 Member
I just got this card this morning using the shopping cart trick. I am hoping to be able to MS on it using buxx. Any experience with this card loading buxx cards? Does comenity tolerate it with no cash advance fees?

Chadx

Level 2 Member
I have three of these cards. The last one has a 1K limit. With that it is difficult to reach the bonus. I do 1k two times a week and pay off the same day without a shutdown. I need 4k more for the 12k bonus.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
I have three of these cards. The last one has a 1K limit. With that it is difficult to reach the bonus. I do 1k two times a week and pay off the same day without a shutdown. I need 4k more for the 12k bonus.
Of the 3, which type?

Is it the white one that carries the $149/annual fee? If yes, do you know if you've earned status points that made it count like FM and his Virgin Atlantic cards?

Chadx

Level 2 Member
Like FM, i have three of the 95K black cards. I also have the FIA amex that I am hitting hard.

MileHighYuppie

Level 2 Member
Like FM, i have three of the 95K black cards. I also have the FIA amex that I am hitting hard.
oops $95 dollar.
What credit card are you referring to? The two flavors of the Virgin America card have fees of $49 and $149 (which could possibly have a $50 sign-up bonus), and the Virgin Atlantic card's fee is $90.

Are you saying you have three Virgin America cards or Virgin Atlantic cards?

Chadx

Level 2 Member
FM was talking about the Virgin Atlantic cards. Which I have three and the FIA is Bank of America also.

PointsMahalo

Level 2 Member
I just got this card this morning using the shopping cart trick. I am hoping to be able to MS on it using buxx. Any experience with this card loading buxx cards? Does comenity tolerate it with no cash advance fees?
I've read that it works fine on US Bank Buxx at least. Don't know about other Buxx types.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
But isn't this thread about the Virgin America card from Comenity?
I started off the confusion. I'll need to rephrase my question. Does having multiple $149 annual fee Comenity Virgin America increase the amount of status points to accumulate Virgina America status? Similar to FM & others with multiple Virgin Atlantic, they will be able to earn status through credit card spend alone

Trevor

Level 2 Member
I've read that it works fine on US Bank Buxx at least. Don't know about other Buxx types.
I can confirm it works great with US Bank Buxx. I use it regularly without any issues. In past months has only been ~2k or less per month, but will be increasing since I cancelled my Arrival +.

I started off the confusion. I'll need to rephrase my question. Does having multiple $149 annual fee Comenity Virgin America increase the amount of status points to accumulate Virgina America status? Similar to FM & others with multiple Virgin Atlantic, they will be able to earn status through credit card spend alone
I"m also very interested in this. Would make it worth it to get multiple cards. With 3x's cards, easy way to nearly Gold status. My wife and I LOVE flying Virgin America for trips in the US.

glocklt4

Level 2 Member
Just a heads up. I did a big AOR with 11 cards. Comenity approved me at first, then 4 days after approval (with 2 of those weekend days) closed the account. I got the card in the mail and activation failed. Called and they said it was due to a "security issue" with "too many recent inquiries". They explained that this usually happens to protect people from identity theft where the thief applies for a bunch of cards at once in someone's name (understandable). I told them I legitimately applied for the card as well as a few others. Supervisor didn't want to discuss anything at all and just kept saying I'll get a letter as to the reason. So sounds like I'll be HUCA a few times to possible get this reinstated and get 15k bonus (with 1.3x multiplier to AS miles). Anyone else had this happen? Advice?

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
Just a heads up. I did a big AOR with 11 cards. Comenity approved me at first, then 4 days after approval (with 2 of those weekend days) closed the account. I got the card in the mail and activation failed. Called and they said it was due to a "security issue" with "too many recent inquiries". They explained that this usually happens to protect people from identity theft where the thief applies for a bunch of cards at once in someone's name (understandable). I told them I legitimately applied for the card as well as a few others. Supervisor didn't want to discuss anything at all and just kept saying I'll get a letter as to the reason. So sounds like I'll be HUCA a few times to possible get this reinstated and get 15k bonus (with 1.3x multiplier to AS miles). Anyone else had this happen? Advice?
It's Comenity. They do this lately. Unfortunately your chances are pretty slim getting it open.

glocklt4

Level 2 Member
It's Comenity. They do this lately. Unfortunately your chances are pretty slim getting it open.
Booo... ok, thanks. Hadn't read that yet. First application ever with Comenity. Not sure the card will be around again by the time I do another major AOR, but will put it at the beginning of my list I guess.

Any idea if the inquiries are from same day (meaning they get real-time credit report), or are they sensitive to inquires at all over a long period of time? I hadn't done an AOR since June, so kind of surprised if this isn't a real-time credit inquiry issue.