Using Ink Plus Primary Car Rental Insurance

jmorgans

Level 2 Member
I use my Ink Plus for car rentals because it has primary insurance coverage. However, the terms and conditions state:

Coverage is primary when renting for business purposes and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most cars in the U.S. and abroad.*

Can anyone from experience tell me whether this is enforced? Do they expect some kind of proof that the rental is for business purposes?

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
I would not expect anyone to admit to insurance fraud. ;)

I can tell you that the primary coverage on the Ritz-Carlton card has a very straightforward and speedy claims process -- handy when a concrete wall sneaks up behind you.

jmorgans

Level 2 Member
Handy indeed! I think the answer will be to PC my Freedom back to CSP and downgrade Ink Plus to basic Ink. I imagine claims process with CSP would be similar to Ritz Carlton.

jmorgans

Level 2 Member
Funny story- when I called Chase to inquire about the car rental insurance, the phone rep totally encouraged me to use the Ink plus saying "surely you can find something on the trip to pass off as business." She went on to tell me how she only used business cards in her family, with each kid being an "employee." Gotta love it.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If you DO have a business, and you can't find a way to add a business purpose to your trip, you're not trying.

Seriously. Reselling? Buy some items and send them in to FBA. Visiting relatives? Do any of them use your miles or points, because certainly, at the volume of points many of us do, that can be considered a business, as well. And a profitable one, when you consider the cost of our flights and hotels without those miles and points!