Using debit and credit cards in Africa

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I am deciding what debit and credit cards to take on our Africa trip. I plan to take a few different CCs that have no foreign transaction fees (FTFs) and to see which debit cards have the lowest FTFs for use at (safe) ATMs.

I happened to be on the phone with my local Chase branch for another reason and asked about the debit card associated with my Chase checking acct. The person who always helps me looked up the countries I will be in - South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana - and said that all the countries are listed on the OFAC list and as such she can't put a travel alert on my debit card and I won't be able to use it.

She said that OFAC is the Office For Asset Control and that chances are we won't be able to use debit cards very successfully if at all in Africa. CCs are different - although she said that even putting a travel advisory on the CCs does not guarantee our charges will go through - but because debit cards are connected to hard cold cash, the OFAC list makes then a no-no in some countries. I know people do use CCs successfully in Africa so I plan to bring a few cards just in case some work better than others.

So: has anyone successfully used debit cards in these countries, and if so, which cards worked?

Also, among CCs, which cards work most successfully? I plan to bring the Hyatt and the Bold, as well as an Amex Plat (for Centurion access). I could bring Citi AA cards or a Barclays Aviator, but no longer have the Arrivals. If I wasn't so busy I might consider a mini AOR but trying to make a min spend with African expenses may be more trouble than it is worth ;) !

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Barb

Level 2 Member
We used Citigold debit and CapOne debit for ATM withdrawals. We were able to use credit cards of all stripes pretty much everywhere. My husband managed to lose his Chase Sapphire and RC cards on the way over (have no idea how!) and to their credit, Chase couriered us new cards at their expense to our rental house in Capetown. We had them in 2 days. I was blown away with the level of customer service.

Cash is definitely needed in ZA for tipping purposes. If you have a rental car, you'll want to tip parking attendants for watching your car. Ditto gas stations attendants. Small change is useful for this. On Safari, you'll be given envelopes for tips for your tracker and guide. But by and large, I found cc were widely accepted.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
I brought lots of $1 and $5 bills to tip. It was very helpful. I also brought my Fidelity smart cash debit card but did not have to use at all. I used the arrival card when I needed to charge. That was before Barclay changed the rewards.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Thanks Barb and Niehlin2!

Called around this AM after seeing Barb's post and Cap One will indeed be the best for us, followed by my local CU and then UFBDirect.

Here's an excerpt from my notes on debit transactions in Africa:

Main card should be Cap 360:
no FTFs
will refund ATM fees
Not in Zimbabwe

Next card should be CU:
1% FTF
In SA works for only PIN transactions
works in all 4 countries

3rd choice = UFB Direct
2% FTF
not in Zim

So clearly it is possible to use debit cards!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Re credit cards - came across this on a South Africa tourism site -

All major credit cards can be used in South Africa, with American Express and Diners Club enjoying less universal acceptance than MasterCard and Visa. If you have a so-called "chip card", you will be required to enter a pin code.

Read more: http://www.southafrica.info/travel/advice/currency.htm#.VpqNG_EQl7k#ixzz3xQycAcxD

Did folks run into needed a PIN when using CC cards with chips? Thanks!

Barb

Level 2 Member
I didn't have any problem using a chip and signature card. Just had to sign the receipt. Really no issues at all using a cc in ZA.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Was in SA in September - no issues using Mastercard chip cc for restaurants, lodging or rental car, or Kruger Park admission. Used Schwab for debit with no issues and no fees.

Have fun!!!

Edit - did not need pin for cc.

bayguy

Level 2 Member
I used Arrival+ in South Africa/Zimbabwe and it was accepted most of the places except mom & pop stores. I used my Charles Schwab debit card in SA couple of times and had no issue.

smittytabb

Staff member
I am deciding what debit and credit cards to take on our Africa trip. I plan to take a few different CCs that have no foreign transaction fees (FTFs) and to see which debit cards have the lowest FTFs for use at (safe) ATMs.

I happened to be on the phone with my local Chase branch for another reason and asked about the debit card associated with my Chase checking acct. The person who always helps me looked up the countries I will be in - South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana - and said that all the countries are listed on the OFAC list and as such she can't put a travel alert on my debit card and I won't be able to use it.

She said that OFAC is the Office For Asset Control and that chances are we won't be able to use debit cards very successfully if at all in Africa. CCs are different - although she said that even putting a travel advisory on the CCs does not guarantee our charges will go through - but because debit cards are connected to hard cold cash, the OFAC list makes then a no-no in some countries. I know people do use CCs successfully in Africa so I plan to bring a few cards just in case some work better than others.

So: has anyone successfully used debit cards in these countries, and if so, which cards worked?

Also, among CCs, which cards work most successfully? I plan to bring the Hyatt and the Bold, as well as an Amex Plat (for Centurion access). I could bring Citi AA cards or a Barclays Aviator, but no longer have the Arrivals. If I wasn't so busy I might consider a mini AOR but trying to make a min spend with African expenses may be more trouble than it is worth ;) !

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
I am currently in Cape Town. I changed some dollars at JNB airport. I have been using my Barclay Arrival with no problem (sorry!). I travel so much internationally and so far it is my most reliable card for most everywhere, which is why I kept it. I did not try a debit card, but had an experience where none worked in Brazil several years ago, so I am wondering if it is on the OFAC list too. Given my experience, I'd bring the Aviator. BTW, rand is at record low against the dollar. Things like food are very cheap, even in restaurants.

smittytabb

Staff member
Re credit cards - came across this on a South Africa tourism site -

All major credit cards can be used in South Africa, with American Express and Diners Club enjoying less universal acceptance than MasterCard and Visa. If you have a so-called "chip card", you will be required to enter a pin code.

Read more: http://www.southafrica.info/travel/advice/currency.htm#.VpqNG_EQl7k#ixzz3xQycAcxD

Did folks run into needed a PIN when using CC cards with chips? Thanks!
Most cards with chip ARE pin around the world. You won't need to do anything but sign. Even Arrival + which is chip and pin it works as signature here