US Airways phone line

smittytabb

Staff member
I want to share what is probably one of the most disappointing customer service experiences I have had with an airline. I spent over 5 hours on hold yesterday trying to speak to a US Airways representative. All I wanted to do was complete the payment on a booking I had on hold. Not only did I waste an enormous amount of time, the airline cancelled my booking before the deadline, despite my attempt with a live agent to complete the transaction!

Long story short, clearly US Airways did not have enough capacity to handle calls yesterday. Multiple times when I called the recording said to call back. OK, but after waiting an hour and a half for an agent, I was ready to give them my credit card and they put me on hold. I was trying, really trying to get this thing done. I had patiently waited for a very long time. First the agent told me it would be cheaper to book it online. I explained to him that that was not possible. He didn't even understand how the system worked. I also told him that the website did not work correctly even if I could have booked it online. Indeed later in the evening when I realized they had cancelled my booking, I tried to reserve it, as he had suggested, and it was pricing out at 530,000 miles rather than 190,000 miles. You have to call in, period. So after I told him I wanted to give him my credit card, that I really had not waited an hour and a half on hold to NOT book it, he said just a minute, and put me on hold. When he came back on I could hear him talking to the person next to him joking around about flowers or chocolates, clearly not paying attention. I was saying, hello, hello and then I hear CLICK. He hung up.

I spent the next 5 hours trying to get back through. I first checked online. My flight was still "Active". OK, just have to try again, I thought. I ended up calling the American Airlines Executive Platinum desk. They put me through to a line they said was faster for Chairman's Preferred members. After 3 hours and 45 minutes on hold with that line, I checked online just to be sure that my flight was still active. It was now "Cancelled". I have no idea how, and no idea why.

I have tried to call US Airways ever since. This morning I cannot even get put on hold. This is obviously a difficult travel time with the major blizzard in the Northeast. I really feel for anyone trying to get a flight changed, cancelled, rescheduled or who is stranded today. The airline needs to have a system in place that can accommodate for this kind of thing. And as for anyone just trying to pay for a ticket, it should not be that hard, ever.

JeffB

Level 2 Member
Good luck. I had a similar problem like this one that resulted in a 6 month fight with USAir.

smittytabb

Staff member
Well, I knew just what to do. As soon as I saw the flight was cancelled I tried to rebook it and of course on US, you cannot do it. So, I quickly got on AA.com and rebooked the award as it was showing up there at the saver rate. It was for 100K instead of 95K each round trip (US Airways credit card), but the fees were less and if I use either one of my two AA cards that give me 10% miles back, I will come out ahead. I still think that US should throw some miles my way. We'll see. Had I not known to check on AA, it would just be gone. It will be awhile before I am willing to wait on hold for multiple hours again.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Well, I knew just what to do. As soon as I saw the flight was cancelled I tried to rebook it and of course on US, you cannot do it. So, I quickly got on AA.com and rebooked the award as it was showing up there at the saver rate. It was for 100K instead of 95K each round trip (US Airways credit card), but the fees were less and if I use either one of my two AA cards that give me 10% miles back, I will come out ahead. I still think that US should throw some miles my way. We'll see. Had I not known to check on AA, it would just be gone. It will be awhile before I am willing to wait on hold for multiple hours again.
I learned that you don't need to book your ticket on your AA credit card to get the 10% back. I forgot about this benefit when booking Etihad flights for my mom and her husband and forgot to use her Citi AA card. Instead I used Amex PRG for the 3x points. Nonetheless, they automatically credited her account for 10k miles (the max allowed under the benefit.)

smittytabb

Staff member
I learned that you don't need to book your ticket on your AA credit card to get the 10% back. I forgot about this benefit when booking Etihad flights for my mom and her husband and forgot to use her Citi AA card. Instead I used Amex PRG for the 3x points. Nonetheless, they automatically credited her account for 10k miles (the max allowed under the benefit.)
Well, I was told to use one card (have two with the benefit) for the first 100K and another for the second. Indeed I did not get the second 10K back last year because I had not done that. Now I am puzzled.

smittytabb

Staff member
I have always found this benefit to be confusing. I have been told you can only earn 10K a year. I have been told you can earn 10K per card (have two with this benefit). I have been told to use one card for first 10K, then the other (implies need to use the card). This year I was going to do just that, but @Matt S NYC it might be that you are correct. And for the record, I have never received more than 10K that I know of per year. I thought it was because I was not strategically using the cards and keeping good enough track of which one I used to charge which award!

10% Back on Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles
For benefit to apply, your Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles the primary cardmember earns through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles the primary cardmember redeems each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account.

smittytabb

Staff member
Very unfortunate, sorry you have had to go thru that.
Thanks so much. Well, I still have been unable to get through on the phone. Seems a bit ridiculous that this happened on Sunday at 7 p.m. and I had been trying to book the ticket from noon until 7 p.m. that day and never was able to do so. Then the two next two days, still unable to get through on the phone. As an EXP for AA, I am really concerned about this kind of service.

PWMTrav

Staff member
You've reached the conclusion of why I don't fly US anymore if I can help it. I was an elite for years.

They screwed me on an award ticket. They allowed LH to cancel connecting segments twice, once on the morning of departure, because they issued the ticket incorrectly. One agent spent a good 6 hrs fixing it the first time, but the second time nobody wanted to help (it was a Sat, and departure was in 8 hrs). It was for a family member and I ended up having to buy her a walk up fare to ensure she'd get to where she needed to be.

There's really no incentive for them to care, especially when redeeming awards.

Don't get me started on bad weather days. Most of the time, the phone system won't even put you in the queue because hold times are so bad. Their website allows you to do essentially nothing. Their twitter team is useless.

smittytabb

Staff member
You've reached the conclusion of why I don't fly US anymore if I can help it. I was an elite for years.

They screwed me on an award ticket. They allowed LH to cancel connecting segments twice, once on the morning of departure, because they issued the ticket incorrectly. One agent spent a good 6 hrs fixing it the first time, but the second time nobody wanted to help (it was a Sat, and departure was in 8 hrs). It was for a family member and I ended up having to buy her a walk up fare to ensure she'd get to where she needed to be.

There's really no incentive for them to care, especially when redeeming awards.

Don't get me started on bad weather days. Most of the time, the phone system won't even put you in the queue because hold times are so bad. Their website allows you to do essentially nothing. Their twitter team is useless.
Yeah, I wish I could tell you this was the first time this has happened. I actually had two other screw ups with awards with them. Once I was almost stranded in Sofia, Bulgaria because my LH flight schedule was messed up and I had to wait until the Munich office opened for them to correct it. Worse still, was when I was leaving Amsterdam and LH said my ticket was screwed up (I had changed it before I left the US and somehow the agent had completely messed up). LH would not help me and indeed were totally rude. I finally begged an agent to call USAir in the U.S. and they eventually reticketed me and I was able to get on the plane. I barely (within a half an hour) got out of either of those situations with my ticket intact. I worried the entire trip my last redemption because it was on *Alliance after US had left them but it went off without a hitch and was one of those ridiculous around the world for 90K miles things. I guess I got lucky. I have never had an award cancelled when I was in the midst of trying to book it though. What an exercise in frustration! And, you are right, the phone system is ridiculous as is the website.

fr33b13

Silver Member
I got pretty lucky with the phone agents yesterday with the North Eastern blizzard. I was able to talk to USAirways people 3 times, but then they canceled the last flight they put me on :(

smittytabb

Staff member
I got pretty lucky with the phone agents yesterday with the North Eastern blizzard. I was able to talk to USAirways people 3 times, but then they canceled the last flight they put me on :(
Always a pleasure to be canceled when you are trying to book a flight. I ended up booking my cancelled US itinerary on AA and the fees were less. So, in the end, it cost 10K more miles which we may get back anyway with Citicard and saved $150 which I'll take. Hope you managed to get rebooked with less hassle than I did!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
I have always found this benefit to be confusing. I have been told you can only earn 10K a year. I have been told you can earn 10K per card (have two with this benefit). I have been told to use one card for first 10K, then the other (implies need to use the card). This year I was going to do just that, but @Matt S NYC it might be that you are correct. And for the record, I have never received more than 10K that I know of per year. I thought it was because I was not strategically using the cards and keeping good enough track of which one I used to charge which award!

10% Back on Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles
For benefit to apply, your Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles the primary cardmember earns through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles the primary cardmember redeems each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account.
You won't get 2 X 10K, or 3X or 4X if you have 3 or 4 cards like I did in 2013. Citi has nothing to do with it, other than they notify AA that this benefit exists in your account. Then AA (not Citi) gives you the 10% back shortly after you book based on your status as an AA Platinum card holder. FYI if you cancel the flight that triggered the 10K the bonus is clawed back, and not given on later bookings. Now if you have multiple AA accounts for multiple cards it might be a different story...

The 10K EQM for 40K Exec spend works much the same way. Citi posts miles to your account, and they show up as CITI EXEC WLD ELITE PURCH.MI. rather than CITICARD BONUS MILES. As soon as the Exec non-bonus miles total goes over 40K, AA gives you the EQM. Even if those 40K were manually posted due to a bonus match or something.

smittytabb

Staff member
You won't get 2 X 10K, or 3X or 4X if you have 3 or 4 cards like I did in 2013. Citi has nothing to do with it, other than they notify AA that this benefit exists in your account. Then AA (not Citi) gives you the 10% back shortly after you book based on your status as an AA Platinum card holder. FYI if you cancel the flight that triggered the 10K the bonus is clawed back, and not given on later bookings. Now if you have multiple AA accounts for multiple cards it might be a different story...

The 10K EQM for 40K Exec spend works much the same way. Citi posts miles to your account, and they show up as CITI EXEC WLD ELITE PURCH.MI. rather than CITICARD BONUS MILES. As soon as the Exec non-bonus miles total goes over 40K, AA gives you the EQM. Even if those 40K were manually posted due to a bonus match or something.
Well, I used my husband's AA miles to book us both for 200K and used a different credit card than his Citi Plat and sure enough 10K miles were refunded to his account even without using the card. That's good info. Now the next set I book will be my miles and then I will get mine. And I won't be looking for more for either of us. Nor will I worry about which credit card to use!

fr33b13

Silver Member
Always a pleasure to be canceled when you are trying to book a flight. I ended up booking my cancelled US itinerary on AA and the fees were less. So, in the end, it cost 10K more miles which we may get back anyway with Citicard and saved $150 which I'll take. Hope you managed to get rebooked with less hassle than I did!
Thanks, they put me on a flight TWO days later. No hassle with the booking process, but I had to find a place to stay overnight.