US Airways Barclay Annual bonus

sriki

Level 2 Member
I got the US Airways Barclays card in Aug 2013. I did not remember whether that card had any annual bonus (though I usually do a good job of noting everything down). It's been a year now and yesterday when I checked my US Airways account, I had gotten a 10000 miles from this card (checked the CC statement to verify) that's labeled "US WORLD CARD: EVERYDAY 50% BONUS". However, my annual fee hadn't hit (When I applied for this card in 2013, the offer waived the first year fee).

I also got another US Airways card a couple of months ago. Though the bonus miles offered remained the same, this card's offer did not waive the first year fee.

I was waiting for the annual fee to hit so I can call and cancel as I have no intentions to keep two of the same cards with annual fees. Now, if I cancel it, would there be clawback of the miles? This is just a side question and I wouldn't mind if they take it back since I am not going to keep my card. The bigger question is since it's barclays would there any issues now or in the future with me cancelling a card with them. Currently, I have two US Airways cards and one Arrival card.

Barb

Level 2 Member
My husband got the 10K bonus and cancelled. He still has the points and this was a few months ago. He called to cancel and asked for a retention offer but didn't get offered anything worthwhile. In contrast, I was offered a retention deal of annual fee waived and an extra 10k for spending $3k in 3 months. This is in addition to the 10k annual bonus.

So you should definitely ask if there is a retention offer available.

sriki

Level 2 Member
@Barb Thanks for the data point. I plan on calling after the fee hits. But, I doubt if they will have any offers for me. I made one transaction of less than $10 in July 2013 and that's it. :)

Barb

Level 2 Member
I have used the card a little more than you but only because after my single purchase they offered me 15k miles for spending 750/month for three months!

I used the argument that I didn't need the card because I had a citi AA and that due to the merger I didn't need two cards for what will end up being one merged program. The mention of the competition seemed to get the rep going and that is what I think possibly triggered the offer.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I did not use my card because I thought that would trigger the very same offer you just described. Alas, I never got it and with the minimum spend requirements of other CC and my non stop apporamas between me and the wife, I never had to go back to it. I think I will offer the AA/US Airways case and see if they will offer anything. All I need to is a annual fee waiver and I am good. I don't like to cancel cards but will do if I don't get any significant benefit by keeping and paying the fee.