US Airlines Miles which became AA miles are expiring?

Andrew

Level 2 Member
My wife has about 70K US Airlines miles which converted to American Airlines miles when they programs merged. These were points she obtained from the Barclays US Airlines Card. We received an email that indicated that these points would be expiring soon.

She has earned AA miles since these miles transferred to AA from Barclays, however it seems that the "US Airlines" miles do not reset with this new earning. Is there anyway to reset the expiration of this transferred miles or do we simply need book tickets at this point?

smittytabb

Staff member
My wife has about 70K US Airlines miles which converted to American Airlines miles when they programs merged. These were points she obtained from the Barclays US Airlines Card. We received an email that indicated that these points would be expiring soon.

She has earned AA miles since these miles transferred to AA from Barclays, however it seems that the "US Airlines" miles do not reset with this new earning. Is there anyway to reset the expiration of this transferred miles or do we simply need book tickets at this point?
This is something that clearly has not been explained or sorted out. My AA & US miles have different expiration dates too as does everyone in my family. I have no memory now that they are combined of which are which. Also, when I use them with AA, no way to tell if they are drawing from the AA ones or the US ones. It is clear that activity on AA does not impact the expiration on the US side, but how would one prioritize using US miles when making a redemption anyway? I am not sure if this is a glitch or how it is being handled. I follow AA very closely and I have not seen anything about how this is being handled at all. Short of draining all of them I am not sure how to use up all the US ones.

smittytabb

Staff member

Quick question that occurs to me. Did you receive the email from Award Wallet or the airline? If it is Award Wallet, call the airline to see what the situation is in terms of the expiration date. Sometimes AW data is just plain incorrect. I recently booked a short flight on US just to see if it will reset the miles or not. Won't know for several months.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Smittytabb,

Thanks for the response. Looking things over again, it appears that the email was from AwardWallet. My wife has 100k AA miles, which makes me wonder how Award Wallet is calculating this 70K from the 100K she has in her account. Granted the amount they are saying will expire is in fact the number that was moved over from US Airlines.

I'll just have my wife call and see how this is being handled by AA. And your question about how AA will prioritize which miles will be used when booking an award ticket is a very good question, which leads me to believe that there should not be an expiration date on the miles moved over form US Airlines. It just seems absurd that a stash of miles has miles with different expiration days.