UR removes Korean SkyPass Transfers

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
So reports are coming in that Chase has discontinued their partnership with KE for point transfers. Sounds like it was Chase that ended it, or the contracted just expired. Being that it's Friday night, we probably won't get an answer until Monday.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So reports are coming in that Chase has discontinued their partnership with KE for point transfers. Sounds like it was Chase that ended it, or the contracted just expired. Being that it's Friday night, we probably won't get an answer until Monday.
On some level I'm pleased I never took the time to figure their program out properly... Maybe I'm just an overly optimistic person today :)

smittytabb

Staff member
On some level I'm pleased I never took the time to figure their program out properly... Maybe I'm just an overly optimistic person today :)
I never did either. It sounds like it was lucrative but a hassle to book an award, so I figured I would put it on the back burner. It's never good when a program makes unannounced changes. Sounding like it really is going away now.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I never did either. It sounds like it was lucrative but a hassle to book an award, so I figured I would put it on the back burner. It's never good when a program makes unannounced changes. Sounding like it really is going away now.
Agree, though it also depends on if it is replaced.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
Totally, but I wonder who? Their partners tend to have some kind of Chase link up with CCs. Who is out there that fits that description?
Well the Virgin Atlantic Credit Card isn't through Chase, and they added them somewhat recently. IF they replace KE, I'm going to be it's with AF. They seem to go with big, non-US airlines if they don't issue the CC for them, and I can't see them going with another airline. I really hope it ends up being Delta, but I doubt it.

smittytabb

Staff member
Well the Virgin Atlantic Credit Card isn't through Chase, and they added them somewhat recently. IF they replace KE, I'm going to be it's with AF. They seem to go with big, non-US airlines if they don't issue the CC for them, and I can't see them going with another airline. I really hope it ends up being Delta, but I doubt it.
No way Delta as they are all Amex, all the time.

augustus23

Level 2 Member
Ok, this *could* be the issue. I just checked and the current SKYPASS VCCs are now through USBank, not Chase.
Their credit cards have always been through through USBank, so unless USBank put pressure on Korean to break up ties with Chase, I'm betting that it is a fight over the value of each point paid out to the airline.

dpd82

Level 2 Member
Rats! That's how I was planning to get to ULN next September. Not the end of the world, but I'd already transferred about 40k UR points to KE. Every once in a while, I get spooked by reports of Chase shutdowns and decide to protect some points.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Hmmmm, bye bye to easy-ish access to Skyteam first class awards for the most part...Stinks as I wanted to fly KE's A380 in F and was saving the UR for it. I don't believe KE partners with any other transferrable points program?

dpd82

Level 2 Member
I feel for the guy on FT, who was booking award tix for his honeymoon and got shut out between booking his own seat and his wife's. At least I have several months to accrue enough miles for a one way in J.

MaryE

Level 2 Member
Ah, that's sad, but thankfully, I got the US Bank Korean Visa Sig Card years ago with the tune of 20,000 on it to start. 2nd churn on that card. I've got over 85.000 miles on it again. Guess I'll have to ATF it again and again.

smittytabb

Staff member
This, and the pulling of the AA Explorer Awards (which I was saving AA miles for) is a good reminder that you cannot count on any of your aspirational redemptions to be there when you are ready to book them, unfortunately. You have to remain in as flexible a position as possible, with multiple options possible for any itinerary you might have in mind in the future. Sad, but very true, especially in the current environment.

dpd82

Level 2 Member
This, and the pulling of the AA Explorer Awards (which I was saving AA miles for) is a good reminder that you cannot count on any of your aspirational redemptions to be there when you are ready to book them, unfortunately. You have to remain in as flexible a position as possible, with multiple options possible for any itinerary you might have in mind in the future. Sad, but very true, especially in the current environment.
True dat! I can also try to use OZ or UA to ICN. Sorry that AA pulled the rug out from under you on the Explorer.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
Can you book Korean Air First Class with Air France miles?

Does Korean open up more award space for their own members?

I needed a flight to get to SIN DO and nothing else was available. I might switch to CX F if it becomes available.

Anyway, does anybody have experience with the US Bank Korean Air cards?

MaryE

Level 2 Member
Can you book Korean Air First Class with Air France miles?

Does Korean open up more award space for their own members? I don't know, but I've never had a problem getting one. The upgrades always seem to come through, but eventually, as in seemingly almost last minute - but got the upgrade. I tend to call and bother them politely, very politely, if there is anyway they could check on my upgrade.

Anyway, does anybody have experience with the US Bank Korean Air cards?
Yes, I have had a US Bank Korean Air card since 2008. It might give me an edge and maybe not. I can tell you that there aren't many benefits to it, other than I can charge GCs to them and earn miles. I can also book award travel for family members; although I have never tried since I don't have flying family members. I'm the only world traveler in the family.

I have the Visa Signature card.

Here are the details of this card:
"
SKYPASS Visa Signature cardmembers experience these superior benefits:

• 15,000 SKYPASS Bonus Miles after your first purchase1
  • 1 mile for every net $1 in purchases
  • 2,000 Bonus Miles at renewal2
  • Double Miles on Korean Air ticket purchases3
  • 2 Korean Air VIP Lounge coupons each year4
  • No foreign transaction fee5
  • Travel & Emergency Assistance Services6
  • $1,000,000 in Travel Accident Insurance7
Visa Signature Benefits:

• No Preset Spending Limit8 Worry-free spending without a
    fixed limit
  • Visa Concierge9 Complimentary 24/7 travel and entertainment assistance
  • Visa Travel & Shopping10 Special offers from fine hotels, resorts, and retail merchants
  • Visa Sports & Entertainment10 Enjoy access to ticket packages to popular sporting events
    and exclusive movie ticket discounts

Additional SKYPASS Visa benefits:

• Redeem miles for reward travel and upgrades on Korean Air and SkyTeam partners11
  • SKYPASS Visa card purchases help you reach and maintain Morning Calm Club Membership12
  • EMV chip technology for added security abroad13
  • Use your card at millions of locations worldwide
  • Cash access at more than one million ATMs
  • Bilingual automated 24-hour account access
  • Bilingual customer service available
  • No cap on miles you can earn
  • Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver6
  • Purchase security service6
  • Earn SKYPASS miles even faster with Automatic Bill Payment
  • Get your monthly credit score - at no cost!
  • Lost and stolen card reporting
  • Warranty manager service6
  • SKYPASS Visa miles can be combined with your SKYPASS flight miles"
And I am very very sad that this inquiry came 1 day late as I had a referral offer from Korean Air to refer a friend and they would get 20,000 miles and me 5, 000. Now it has expired.

Sad sad sad me.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis

purcitron

Level 2 Member
earlier this year, emailed KE about finding an award. simple route. 1way. ORD-ICN. simple, right?
received a call back from Korea. spoke to agent. no availability. asked to search for entire month of june.. nothing.
hard to believe, but shows how impractical KE redemptions are.
though several "big" bloggers have reported great success.

MaryE

Level 2 Member
I have always gotten my award ticket for business class on whatever route. But then again I had medallion staus at some point in the past. I have their credit card. I lived and had an address in South Korea. So any of these could have been factors. I don't know. I will keep the credit card long term.