Up to 50% Bonus AA Miles this July with Starwood Transfer

sonbenfan

Level 2 Member
Below is the details of the offer

The American Airlines AAdvantage® and Starwood Preferred Guest® programs are excited to offer you this exclusive opportunity to earn more miles toward your next trip.

From July 1 through July 31, 2014, simply convert your Starpoints® to American Airlines AAdvantage miles and earn a 20% bonus. As always, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, SPG® will automatically add another 5,000 miles. With the additional 20% mileage bonus offered by the AAdvantage program, you will receive a total of 30,000 miles from the transaction.

20,000 Starpoints = 20,000 AAdvantage miles
Standard SPG bonus = 5,000 AAdvantage miles
AAdvantage 20% mileage bonus = 5,000 AAdvantage miles
Total = 30,000 AAdvantage miles

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
Question: Assuming one already has the Starwood SPG Amex, is it possible to earn more Starpoints before the end of the month? In other words, assuming you spend $XXXX today, does Amex award those new Starpoints immediately or do you have to wait until your next statement before they show up?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I think this works for US Air too, but not seen the ad for that.

Question: Assuming one already has the Starwood SPG Amex, is it possible to earn more Starpoints before the end of the month? In other words, assuming you spend $XXXX today, does Amex award those new Starpoints immediately or do you have to wait until your next statement before they show up?
They show up after billing.

fangus

I received the bonus email indicating this works for AA and usair . 20k spg= 30k aa or us air

Chum

Level 2 Member
Can I transfer my SPG points to my daughter's account? She is a minor and can't earn her own AA miles (unless we fly). I read that we cannot transfer AMEX points to other people nowadays.

bk3day

Level 2 Member
Can I transfer my SPG points to my daughter's account? She is a minor and can't earn her own AA miles (unless we fly). I read that we cannot transfer AMEX points to other people nowadays.
a few thoughts...

I suspect the AMEX transfer restriction you mentioned above is for AMEX Membership Reward transfers, not SPG point transfers (possibly earned via your SPG AMEX)?

fwiw, SPG transfer are scrutinized but last time I did it, as long as the last name & address of both account holders matched, the exchange usually passed muster. Then again just to be safe, I made sure that the address change occurred some time before (maybe at least a month?) prior to the transfer

As always, it's often best to check the SPG Forum on FT for news of any recent transfer related issues/concerns

Also, I'm curious, what benefit there would be to transferring your SPG to your minor daughter's account?

Assuming you hold the larger balance of AA miles, wouldn't you be better off transferring the SPG points to your AA account, thereby increasing your balance & then booking whatever award flights she needs from there?

Chum

Level 2 Member
She has 10K orphan miles in her account that she got from a super delayed flight. We are trying to get an off peak award to Europe next year and a 20K transfer will get her a total of 40K AA miles. Enough for a round trip, right?

bk3day

Level 2 Member
She has 10K orphan miles in her account that she got from a super delayed flight. We are trying to get an off peak award to Europe next year and a 20K transfer will get her a total of 40K AA miles. Enough for a round trip, right?
got it..I can see why you'd wanna top off that orphan account

btw, just wanted to clarify that my answer about SPG transfers was about transferring SPG points to another family member's SPG account, not to another's outside airline program.

PeterK987

Has anyone already made this transfer and taken advantage of the bonus? I was just wondering if the bonus miles post along with the other miles or if there is a delay in the bonus miles.

Trying to decide whether to turn four nights down in Disney at the Swan and Dolphin into a nights & flights or not. I would have to spend an additional 30,000 SPG points but with it transferring out 50,000 miles I would get 60,000 with the bonus. I don't really need the extra night, but it doesn't really have a cost and it's "sort" of like getting a 100% bonus on the points (plus an extra status night). Or 70% to be more accurate I suppose, between the bonus on the nights & flights and the transfer bonus.

AndyL

Level 2 Member
I tested a transfer last week and the miles from SPG posted into my AA account about 2 days later along w/the 20% bonus.