United: Is Economy Plus worth it?

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I have an 8 hour non-stop trip going to Italy. I booked the trip with UA miles. I have a choice of choosing Economy Plus for $149. Is Economy Plus worth it (for the extra 5 inches)?

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I'm 5'8 :) Plus I'll take an Ambien...it's a red-eye trip (leave late afternoon, arrive in Rome in the morning).

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Sounds like your money is better spent on more comfort once in Rome.

By the way, is the $149 for the entire round-trip?
I booked a last minute trip (this morning), leaving next Tues. OOP is $150 ($75 is for booking travel less than 21 days in advance, the rest is for taxes, fees, etc).

I want to thank @KennyBSAT for taking the time to help me explore options & maximize my miles!

Last edited:

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
You did not state where you are leaving from but since you are flying 8 hours non-stop I surmise it is EWR or IAD. I would check load factor on your flights. We are getting into the low season and flights are not 100% full. If you are travelling with somebody you can block the middle seat. I also assume you have no status on UA since you did not mention it or it would have been free to you.
I am 6'2" and I can make it work in normal economy. Not fun, but it works, especially if the middle seat is open. I'd rather spend the $149 in Rome. Plus, they just increased the tourist tax by 100% last month, so there is an additional fee that is not included in your booking.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
You did not state where you are leaving from but since you are flying 8 hours non-stop I surmise it is EWR or IAD. I would check load factor on your flights. We are getting into the low season and flights are not 100% full. If you are travelling with somebody you can block the middle seat. I also assume you have no status on UA since you did not mention it or it would have been free to you.
I am 6'2" and I can make it work in normal economy. Not fun, but it works, especially if the middle seat is open. I'd rather spend the $149 in Rome. Plus, they just increased the tourist tax by 100% last month, so there is an additional fee that is not included in your booking.
Dang, you're good :) IAD. I decided to go with Economy and spend the $149 in Rome.

I thought Economy Plus was better because of the extra leg room... but it also included complimentary soft drinks, juices, tea and, freshly brewed coffee. But it double-checked and Economy offers the same.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
Bring some 50ml minis of liquor with you. No TSA issues. You are technically not allowed to serve yourself alcohol on a plane, but unless you do it in front of the stewardess, you are good to go.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I went ahead with booking Econony Plus for the non-stop IAD to Rome. I did a jaw drop (?) from DC to San Fran. I called customer service to ask about fees if I decide to change my seat for the DC to SFO segment (non-stop) - which was Economy. To my surprise, the agent "upgraded" me to Economy Plus for free ($99)!!! She also "upgraded" the seats for my return trip from Rome to EWR, EWR to DC for free as well :)

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
I went ahead with booking Econony Plus for the non-stop IAD to Rome. I did a jaw drop (?) from DC to San Fran. I called customer service to ask about fees if I decide to change my seat for the DC to SFO segment (non-stop) - which was Economy. To my surprise, the agent "upgraded" me to Economy Plus for free ($99)!!! She also "upgraded" the seats for my return trip from Rome to EWR, EWR to DC for free as well :)
This is a great real-world lesson to just ask and see what the outcome is. Worst that happens is they laugh and ask what credit card you'd like to use for the new seat assignment. :)