United Flight issues

sriki

Level 2 Member
I took a United flight from ORD to PEK in business class on an award ticket today. The flight took off an hour later than scheduled but the official delay was only listed as 35 minutes.

An hour into the 13.5 hour flight, lunch was being served when one of the flight attendants came by and asked for selection. We told her that we had special meals selected. She came back saying that they did not load any special meals we asked for. Unfortunately, this flight did not have a single vegetarian or chicken dish on the menu (which could have been ok for us). I was surprised that it could be so. The flight attendant said the purser would come by and talk to us later about this. Well, she did not show up then and at least not in the first 4-6 hours. After that, I went to sleep and woke up 4 hours before landing. She came by after we landed and taxing to the gate and apologized for "dropping the ball" (her words) on the meal issue. She mentioned that she did not want to disturb us as we were sleeping which makes me think she must have come by atleast 3 hours ( potentially more) after the meal service. I expected her to come by and talk to us when they realized that they messed up. But, I do not know all the responsibilities of a purser and how high of a priority that messed up meals order with no alternative is on their list.

I am disappointed by the overall flight and reinforces my trust in some asian carriers more than American. I think I can make this statement in this forum without having to worry about coming across as a snob. How often did anyone experience a special meal issue and how was the followup response by the crew? What did you end up doing about that?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to get some points for your trouble. I've not done this with United. My last A321 F had crappy IFE and they kicked me 10K AAdvantage for it (without asking) I'd imagine you could get some points from UA in this case.

I think it is a valid complaint.

smittytabb

Staff member
I agree. AA is proactive about those kinds of things. Don't fly UA all that much anymore, so don't know. Get on Twitter?

Act disappointed, not entitled. AA messes up my meal all the time in F domestically by saying they didn't get the order. I don't complain, but probably should. But if it were a dietary restriction on a long flight, I absolutely would.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
I have a couple of family members that request special meals, and are surprised when the request actually works. The typical response on failure is what you observed. You can try Twitter, but I would just send in a customer comment via UA's website when you return. Have your partner do the same. Sadly I'd be surprised if UA reaches out to you.

I'm also stunned there was no chicken dish - that is rare. You may want to bring something with you on your return just in case.

taxicabnumber

Level 2 Member
I have a couple of family members that request special meals, and are surprised when the request actually works. The typical response on failure is what you observed.
Oddly enough, I've had much greater success with getting my vegetarian meals actually loaded when flying economy than when flying business/first (on United, and more generally across carriers). Maybe special meal requests are less common up front on long-hauls?