United Award Calendar not always accurate

Trevor

Level 2 Member
This is something I've noticed consistently over the last since I've started getting more into award tickets and maximizing value. I first saw it when trying to piece together an itinerary for my wife and myself from the US to Italy, but I continue to see it fairly regularly on domestic tickets also (side note: I know most dread the thought of using miles for domestic tickets, but I can regularly get 2 complete domestic r/t's with 22k ANA miles, for an average of about 4 cents/mile. Rant done ;) )

So when looking at the award calendar of United, I find that it often is inaccurate, but in a way that actually benefits us. Somewhat often the calendar may show as white background (ie no low level award space) or dark blue (only business class low level space), when in fact there is award space available. Just tonight while search, I saw the following:

Clearly showing no low level space on Friday Aug 1
upload_2014-7-27_21-0-14.png
Checking the results though and there are 2 connecting flights with low level economy. Granted in this particular case, they're not that great of flights, but this isn't always the case.
upload_2014-7-27_21-1-1.png

And yes, I've actually gone through and booked these one, so they are not just "phantom" space. I've booked both with United miles (for the Italy itinerary) and with ANA miles (so their partners see the space also). So next time the calendar says no availability, take the extra 5 seconds and scan the actual flights.

Additional info: I'm a United Platinum and I wasn't signed into my account, so they are not awards that would only be available to premiers/CC holders. In fact, there are 6 low level awards available SFO-MCI
upload_2014-7-27_21-7-16.png

and 9 on the MCI-ORD
upload_2014-7-27_21-7-46.png

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Great advice. I too have found connections that UA.com doesn't bring up. I fly out of Denver and for some reason, a lot of IAH flights get overlooked.

United1K

Level 2 Member
This is something I've noticed consistently over the last since I've started getting more into award tickets and maximizing value. I first saw it when trying to piece together an itinerary for my wife and myself from the US to Italy, but I continue to see it fairly regularly on domestic tickets also (side note: I know most dread the thought of using miles for domestic tickets, but I can regularly get 2 complete domestic r/t's with 22k ANA miles, for an average of about 4 cents/mile. Rant done ;) )

So when looking at the award calendar of United, I find that it often is inaccurate, but in a way that actually benefits us. Somewhat often the calendar may show as white background (ie no low level award space) or dark blue (only business class low level space), when in fact there is award space available. Just tonight while search, I saw the following:

Clearly showing no low level space on Friday Aug 1
View attachment 229
Checking the results though and there are 2 connecting flights with low level economy. Granted in this particular case, they're not that great of flights, but this isn't always the case.
View attachment 230

And yes, I've actually gone through and booked these one, so they are not just "phantom" space. I've booked both with United miles (for the Italy itinerary) and with ANA miles (so their partners see the space also). So next time the calendar says no availability, take the extra 5 seconds and scan the actual flights.

Additional info: I'm a United Platinum and I wasn't signed into my account, so they are not awards that would only be available to premiers/CC holders. In fact, there are 6 low level awards available SFO-MCI
View attachment 231

and 9 on the MCI-ORD
View attachment 232
A technique to backup United.com when looking for award space, is to use ANA's website. ANA's award search displays flight options amongst the *A that United May or may not show.

Also, for UA elites logging into your account is best. Logging in will display better availability (that's assuming there is space) in the saver award classes ("XN", "IN", and "ON"); and in the standard classes ("YN", "JN", and "FN").

For the those that aren't aware, the UA award fare classes are:

Saver Award
X--Non-elites (Y)
XN--All Elites (Y)
I--Non-elites, Silver, and Gold (J--2 cabin)
IN--Platinum, 1K, and GS) (J--2 cabin)
O--Non-elites, Silver, and Gold (F--3 cabin)
ON--Platinum, 1K, and GS) (F--3 cabin)

Standard Award
HN--Non-Elites (Y)
YN--All Elites (Y)
ZN--Non-Elites (J--2 cabin)
JN--All Elites (J--2 cabin)
FN--Non-Elites & All Elites (F--3 cabin)

Hope this helps.

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
Also, for UA elites logging into your account is best. Logging in will display better availability (that's assuming there is space) in the saver award classes ("XN", "IN", and "ON"); and in the standard classes ("YN", "JN", and "FN").
I've even seen it happen once without being an elite. I'm a Lowly Peon when it comes to MileagePlus, but a year ago I was looking at UA award flights and saw tons of availability on the route. Logging out, not so much. It was easily duplicated at the time.

(Sadly, I haven't seen it happen since...but I keep checking it will!)

McRingRing

Level 2 Member
I've even seen it happen once without being an elite. I'm a Lowly Peon when it comes to MileagePlus, but a year ago I was looking at UA award flights and saw tons of availability on the route. Logging out, not so much. It was easily duplicated at the time.

(Sadly, I haven't seen it happen since...but I keep checking it will!)
Did you happen to have a United CC at the time? Cardholders can also see additional availability.

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
Did you happen to have a United CC at the time? Cardholders can also see additional availability.
I did, though the availability disappeared shortly afterwards. There was so much at the time, it seemed to think I had some status and was showing additional fare buckets.

United1K

Level 2 Member
It's definitely nice when the UA award calendar displays a lot of availability. Chase Club and Explorer card holders will see expanded award availability in the "JN" and "YN" fare classes.

richklhs

Level 2 Member
Calendar horrendously inaccurate when doing multi-city searches. Don't even bother, search leg by leg and then call to piece it together. You might get lucky every now and then with the space actually showing up, but not usually.

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
Calendar horrendously inaccurate when doing multi-city searches. Don't even bother, search leg by leg and then call to piece it together. You might get lucky every now and then with the space actually showing up, but not usually.
I'm running into that right now. I have two tabs open and one has a one-way search of my intended multi-city itinerary while the other has the first leg of that pulled up in the actual multi-city search. In the multi-city search it shows 3 possible flights with no saver availability but in the one-way search, it shows 25 possible flights where 8-10 of them have saver availability.

I'm pretty new to all of this and just trying to make sure that my intended award redemption is legal and going to come in at the number of points I want but I can't price it out online it seems.

Trevor

Level 2 Member
I'm running into that right now. I have two tabs open and one has a one-way search of my intended multi-city itinerary while the other has the first leg of that pulled up in the actual multi-city search. In the multi-city search it shows 3 possible flights with no saver availability but in the one-way search, it shows 25 possible flights where 8-10 of them have saver availability.

I'm pretty new to all of this and just trying to make sure that my intended award redemption is legal and going to come in at the number of points I want but I can't price it out online it seems.
I know others have had issues with phantom award availability. For me, it's never been an issue. Have you tried finding all your legs individually and then feeding it leg by leg via the advanced search?

The additional two flights on the single leg search might not be showing up if they would cause a violation of the award rules... For example if a domestic stop over would be too long. I've had luck getting phone agents to override that though.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member

Book as much as you can using a one way award screen, then put the reservation on hold for free. Call UA, tell them you have the existing reservation and their system would not let you book the whole thing, pointing out the availability of the flights you've found. They should then fill out your existing reservation with the other flights. They should also not charge you a phone fee. While UA's computers are at fault, I suggest you ask, not demand. If they insist on a phone fee, ask the CSR to put the new (and now complete) reservation back on hold. I think you can then go back online and pay for the award without a phone fee. If not, HUCA.

wasabirobot

Level 2 Member
I know others have had issues with phantom award availability. For me, it's never been an issue. Have you tried finding all your legs individually and then feeding it leg by leg via the advanced search?

The additional two flights on the single leg search might not be showing up if they would cause a violation of the award rules... For example if a domestic stop over would be too long. I've had luck getting phone agents to override that though.
Yeah, I found everything one-way and have put in the exact dates that the one-way searches show having availability. It is actually the first flight that isn't showing up. I'm in the award calendars for late June and early July of 2015.

I'm trying to do CAE -> BKK (stopover) BKK -> KUL (open-jaw) DPS -> CAE

Maybe someone can just reassure me that this is a legal RT award booking that should be 80k at Saver levels? I'd call but I'm actually working far enough ahead that my true intended return dates (early August 2015) aren't available to book yet. (I'm using a dummy return date that wouldn't be my actual return date on my final booking)

Alternatively, is there some way for me to book a portion of the ticket and then make a change to add the rest later once the availability opens up? I'm super afraid of the availability for the originating flight going out the window while I wait to have access to the last flight on a 40 day trip.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I found everything one-way and have put in the exact dates that the one-way searches show having availability. It is actually the first flight that isn't showing up. I'm in the award calendars for late June and early July of 2015.

I'm trying to do CAE -> BKK (stopover) BKK -> KUL (open-jaw) DPS -> CAE

Maybe someone can just reassure me that this is a legal RT award booking that should be 80k at Saver levels? I'd call but I'm actually working far enough ahead that my true intended return dates (early August 2015) aren't available to book yet. (I'm using a dummy return date that wouldn't be my actual return date on my final booking)

Alternatively, is there some way for me to book a portion of the ticket and then make a change to add the rest later once the availability opens up? I'm super afraid of the availability for the originating flight going out the window while I wait to have access to the last flight on a 40 day trip.
The answer to your second question is no-if you book the first flight or two now, you'll pay a fee to add one or more additional flights later. You other choice would be to book CAE-BKK now, book the DPS-CAE return later and find another way to get from BKK-KUL.

Of course you wouldn't have this problem on American since they no longer allow stopovers at all.

Last edited:

asthejoeflies

Staff member
That routing should be legal. I agree with Mountain Trader, put it on hold with as many flights as you can get, call in to add the rest. The way to put it on hold is to say you are paying with Paypal but never actually complete the transaction. It will automatically hold the flight and when you go to "view reservations" you will be able to see it and your confirmation #. Then call up and use that and tell them you ran into some errors and wanted to complete the itinerary. I'd do it immediately, since the hold time can sometimes be fickle. Just do it the minute those return dates open!

Trevor

Level 2 Member
The answer to your second question is no-if you book the first flight or two now, you'll pay a fee to add one or more additional flights later. You other choice would be to book CAE-BKK now, book the DPS-CAE return later and find another way to get from BKK-KUL.

Of course you wouldn't have this problem on American since they no longer allow stopovers at all.
I have to disagree with this. This depends on the status that you hold. If you happen to hold status of Platinum with United, you won't have to pay a change fee. I did the exact same within the last 2 month (mid-June to be exact) and both didn't get hit with a change fee and due to a "bug" actually got refunded for a large portion of miles on 3 r/t award tickets to Hawaii. I wouldn't intentionally repeat this, but did not choose to report this mistake to them. It was of a bit grey area for me, but I've been screwed over by then enough that I decided to let this one fall in my favor.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I have to disagree with this. This depends on the status that you hold. If you happen to hold status of Platinum with United, you won't have to pay a change fee. I did the exact same within the last 2 month (mid-June to be exact) and both didn't get hit with a change fee and due to a "bug" actually got refunded for a large portion of miles on 3 r/t award tickets to Hawaii. I wouldn't intentionally repeat this, but did not choose to report this mistake to them. It was of a bit grey area for me, but I've been screwed over by then enough that I decided to let this one fall in my favor.
Correct-status impacts change fees.