Uber Rides, airports and other locations

FlyinCajun

Silver Member
I did a search on here looking for information about which city airports that allow Uber to drop off and pick up but couldn't find one.

Hopefully someone will know the answer, while we're able to post questions regarding Uber.

My partner is flying into Tucson AZ tonight and would like to use Uber to get him to Green Valley. While that is about 30 to 40 minutes south of the airport I would think that isn't too out of the range for Uber drivers.

Anyone know if Uber is allowed to pick up at the airport? Is Green Valley too far of a drive?

Thanks!

billatq

Level 2 Member
Most airports permit Uber drop off. The trickier part is getting picked up at the airport. Some airports have places that are easily walkable that you can use to get a pick-up from something like an UberX. (e.g. the ground of the Seatac Airport Station in Seattle). Other places you can get an UberX by dropping a pin near the airport and calling the driver. Of course, Towncars are typically licensed for airport use, so you can get a regular Uber pickup at most airports, though it will cost you more.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
It seems that would work. To be safe you could send Uber an email and they are usually quick to respond. My home airport of MCO bans Uber from pickups. If I try a fare estimate online from MCO it will say Unavailable. However, I tried from TUS to Green Valley and it estimated an Uber X at $32-43.

bgh10788

Level 2 Member
Yeah getting picked up is tricky. I did it in Miami and the driver asked me to act like he was a friend picking me up (shake hands, load own baggage, etc.). Sometimes you can also take an airport shuttle/train to an off-site location and request a pickup. I know people in Phoenix take the sky train to the 44th street station for a pickup. Doesn't really help you in Tucson, but just an idea.

billatq

Level 2 Member
I've found that the best way to figure out if you can be picked up is if you can drop the pin at the terminal, if so, it should be legit. If not, the second best thing you can do is see if there are short walks where you can be picked up away. The third thing, which isn't really legit, is to set the pin outside, but near the airport and then tip off the driver what you want to do. Depending on the airport, this can work, but other places (e.g. Newark), it wont.

For your specific situation, I can see that the TUS pickups are not allowed, but it looks like it's less than a mile to Valencia where pickups are permitted. Bus 11 will go from the airport that road if you don't mind some minor inconvenience.