Two good ways, and one really bad way to rebalance your portfolio

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

I recently posted a top 100 list of ETFs by expense ratio. We must remember that these ETFs are the tools that we plug into an investment strategy to implement it, rather than the end goal themselves. There are a plethora of strategies out there, they are based around the concept of the efficient frontier, first proposed in this paper by Markowitz (1952). The notion of the efficient frontier is that you can find a theoretical point of efficiency between risk and reward by striking the right balance between several asset classes. Simply put, having a mix of stocks and bonds in the right balance will return more profit, for less risk, than being wholly in one class or the other.

If you did not use a variation of the efficient frontier concept, and instead invested solely in a single asset, ETF fees are fairly simple to understand. There is a Net Expense ratio, a Capital Gains tax (fee) and possibly transaction fees. In this case you simply buy X number of an ETF like VTI, and when you have more cash later on, buy more of the same. However, once you have a strategy that has ratios of different asset classes, you must consider rebalancing in order to maintain the ratios.

Rebalancing a portfolio is necessary when it drifts away from your target allocations. In a Basic Two portfolio, you might have two assets, one that represents total stock market, and one that represent total bond market. This could be implemented using two ETFs (VT, BND) if your initial investment was $10,000 and you have an 80/20 split you would start out with $8000 in VT, $2000 in BND. If the stock market fund VT increases by 20% and the BND by 5% you have drifted away from your investment strategy.

Three ways to rebalance

Buy and Sell Rebalance (doing it wrong)

Per the example above $10K has grown to $11.7K or a 17% increase. Your current asset allocations have become 82/18. If you just liquidated everything, and purchased again at 80/20 the following would occur:

• Sell VT/BND
  • New VT/BND position 0/0
  • New Cash position 100% ( $11.7K)
  • Transaction Fees (if applicable) = 4 events (sell VT, Sell BND, Buy VT, Buy BND)
  • Tax Event on $1,700 of capital gain (within taxable account)
  • Buy VT/BND position 80/20 ($9,360, $2,340)
Buy and Sell Rebalance (done right)

As you can see from the above, you don’t need to sell everything in order to rebalance, you just need to make the VT amount into $9,360, and the BND amount into $2,340. Your starting amounts in the 82/18 level are $9600 and $2,100. Rebalancing ‘smartly’ would entail:

• Sell $240 of VT, Buy $240 BND
  • New position 80/20 ($9,360, $2,340)
  • Transaction fees if applicable reduce from 4 events to two events
  • Tax Event is capital gain on $240 rather than $1700
As you can see from the above the ‘right way’ makes a lot of sense, and there is no circumstance where the wrong way should be used, though it is a an easy way to run the math on your target rebalance amounts.

Buy Only Rebalance

Buy only is done by injecting more money into the system, using the same example:

• Buy $300 BND
  • New position 80/20 ($9,600, $2,400)
  • Transaction fees reduce to one event
  • No tax event
Asset location matters

As you can see from the above there are two practical ways to rebalance- buy and sell or buy only. However, it is often the location of your assets that can determine which can be implemented. For example, if you are trading within a tax advantaged account, such as an IRA or 401(k) then you might not be able to use a Buy Only strategy, as that requires adding new money to the account. The annual limits may restrict that option. Luckily, you don’t realize capital gains in such accounts, so the Buy and Sell rebalance works perfectly here.

However, in a taxable account, you can always add more money, providing you can afford it, so you can perform a Buy Only strategy here, providing you have the financial means. Taxable accounts should avoid the buy and sell strategy if possible, as we want to control capital gains taxes.

Don’t forget the big picture

It is important to think holistically about your assets, rather than by Asset Location alone. For example, if you cannot use a buy only strategy to rebalance your 401(k) there is nothing stopping you loading the relevant amounts to create the rebalance in a taxable account. This creates interesting opportunities for Tax Loss Harvesting also. Additionally,you should decide if spousal assets should be factored into an overall allocation plan, or if you want to take a cellular approach.

Conclusion

Think about Buy and Sell vs Buy Only, and be aware of what the impact of each is. For transactions that are shielded from taxes, it matters less if you lock in gains. For accounts that have annual tax liabilities, be careful not to lock in capital gains taxes, especially short term ones, as the costs of doing so can negate the value of rebalancing.

The post Two good ways, and one really bad way to rebalance your portfolio appeared first on Saverocity Finance.

Continue reading...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an update based on the direction of the market. If you wanted to rebalance an equity position that has declined, a smart way to do so might be:

• Sell all of the declined position
  • Buy a fresh position in a substantially different fund up to the rebalance amount.
Two ways to do that might be:
  1. Bring in new powder
  2. Sell some bonds to buy
If you sell bonds it is possible that you will create a capital gain, though since bonds aren't 100% negatively correlated with stocks the gain might not be substantial. However, a better option would be to use fresh money, as it creates no taxable gain (only a loss).

EG VT/BND $10K

Starting out at $8K VT, $2K BND
Current price VT $7.4K BND $2.2K

You have unrealized losses of $600 on VT and unrealized gains of $200 on BND. With a total account value of $9.6K In order to rebalance to par you should hold $7,680 of VT and $1920 of BND. Here's how you could do that:

Option 1 (worst)
  • Sell exactly $280 of BND (creating a realized gain of around $28)
  • Buy exactly $280 of VT (creating two tax lot positions, but no gain/loss)
Option 2 (better)

Sell all of VT, buying a substantially different fund (loss of $600)
Sell $280 of BND (creating a gain of $28)
Net loss to be used against income of $572

Option 3 (best)
Sell all of VT, buying a substantially different fund (loss of $600)
Bring in new money of $1400 and use that to buy only the substantially different fund.
New position of $1100, loss of $600 created, no gain created.

Strategic Dollar Cost averaging
This would be something that someone on a dollar cost average saving plan could create with a little thought. Rather than selling to rebalance, you are buying, meaning that you aren't creating capital gains.

Deferring the taxes
There are two key deferral process happening here, one is buying you time to change the unrealized BDN gain into a long term gain (taxed more favorably) and another is to push the eventual realization of the long term gain into a year that you choose as being more favorable (such as in retirement, or early retirement.

lolatlogan

Level 2 Member
@Matt I'm not sure if you are familiar with /r/personalfinance on reddit but that is where I learned almost everything I know about budgeting, finance, and investing. It took me a year or two of compulsive reading but I can now say I can give solid financial advice to any of my ~23 year old peers. So much so, I have a deep interest in getting into financial advising, or finance of some sort. I'm a Statistics/Math major so numbers are my friends.

I still feel like /r/personalfinance is extremely useful but in no way does any user there contribute pieces of information you have provided here. So while I don't have any specific interests, I'm sure anything you post about will be interesting in some way. The post you made a week or so ago about Stretch IRA's blew my mind. Not literally but I had no idea they even existed, so it was very cool learning about them.

I still have 40+ years till retirement so retiring isn't on the top of my head but saving for retirement is.

Possibly you could talk about wealth building not just investing? I'm not sure, I'm taking a shot in the dark. I'm still young so I'm still working on building my skill set for my professional life. I don't know how that aligns with the rest of the community here but I'd enjoy reading that.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt I'm not sure if you are familiar with /r/personalfinance on reddit but that is where I learned almost everything I know about budgeting, finance, and investing. It took me a year or two of compulsive reading but I can now say I can give solid financial advice to any of my ~23 year old peers. So much so, I have a deep interest in getting into financial advising, or finance of some sort. I'm a Statistics/Math major so numbers are my friends.

I still feel like /r/personalfinance is extremely useful but in no way does any user there contribute pieces of information you have provided here. So while I don't have any specific interests, I'm sure anything you post about will be interesting in some way. The post you made a week or so ago about Stretch IRA's blew my mind. Not literally but I had no idea they even existed, so it was very cool learning about them.

I still have 40+ years till retirement so retiring isn't on the top of my head but saving for retirement is.

Possibly you could talk about wealth building not just investing? I'm not sure, I'm taking a shot in the dark. I'm still young so I'm still working on building my skill set for my professional life. I don't know how that aligns with the rest of the community here but I'd enjoy reading that.
I don't read enough reddit, though it seems to have some good stuff. Haven't looked at their PF section. I'm a big fan of wealth building and professional development, and it sounds like you are off to a great start in being able to help out your friends!

A lot of what I talk about is anti MS/Couponer lifestyle as it seems backwards, people are willing to sell future time in exchange for a transaction, EG today there was a free Chipotle, but that meant signing up for a marketing list, so you just sold a bunch of future recurring time for you (opportunities for them) for $8. I like to invert that and find gigs that might even cost me money today, but provide a future income stream.

lolatlogan

Level 2 Member
Yes! That sounds great! Are you familiar with Mr. Money Mustache? He has an interesting approach to finance that I enjoy reading about.

I've honestly gotten out of MS because of true cost of time. Yeah it's viable for just the minimum spend but anything after that and the true trade-off for the the required to MS isn't worth it to me. I moved into reselling and while it costs me the same, if not slightly more time, it's a business now, and not just a method to MS. Rather than just earning points profit comes along as well.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yes! That sounds great! Are you familiar with Mr. Money Mustache? He has an interesting approach to finance that I enjoy reading about.

I've honestly gotten out of MS because of true cost of time. Yeah it's viable for just the minimum spend but anything after that and the true trade-off for the the required to MS isn't worth it to me. I moved into reselling and while it costs me the same, if not slightly more time, it's a business now, and not just a method to MS. Rather than just earning points profit comes along as well.
Yep, I'm familiar with him. Not a huge fan since he (it seems to me) sells the dream, while really is making more money in his 'retirement' than he was from working. Also, a bit too much bias towards income generating topics.