TSA Precheck with Global Entry

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

I signed up for Global Entry because it was free with the American Express Platinum. Since then the Amex now offers you a choice of TSA Pre Check ($85) or Global Entry ($100). They will issue a statement credit for the amount of the application. I just used my Global Entry to get free TSA Pre check. As I researched this post quickly I was left scratching my head… but hey, I’ll take it.

• Global Entry = Fast Track for International Arrivals (super useful to skip around long lines at immigration)
  • TSA Pre Check = Fast Track for Domestic Departures
Based on this, and that Amex will only refund you for one of the two, you might be facing that decision of which is more likely to be useful based on your travel. You can view the qualifying criteria for TSA Pre Check here, needless to say holding Global Entry is considered a good thing when being considered for Pre Check. Both of these products produce what is called a Known Traveler ID Number (KTN), and when you take the Global Entry KTN and plug it into your domestic trip, TSA Pre check magically appears on your boarding pass. I have heard that this doesn’t happen ‘every time’ but I can say it worked for me both ways on my recent flight, one being an award ticket and one a revenue ticket. I was also able to add an infant onto this ticket.

If you elect to go with Global Entry your KTN is found on the reverse of the card – you can enter this number into your reservation, or if you prefer many airlines, such as American will allow you to add it to your profile so it remembers this next time around.

TSA Precheck from Global Entry

Add the number to your profile on AA.com

Add Known Traveler ID to AA.com

I’ve flown AA many times since holding Global Entry, but never have I had TSA Precheck on my boarding pass until adding the KTN, so I think this is the key. It’s certainly a quick task to add it to the profile so I suggest you give it a go. You will know if you can use the TSA Pre check lanes successfully based upon what is printed out on your boarding pass, if nothing is on it then you can’t use the lane.

I’d be keen to hear your experience with this, have you ever done this and not received Precheck?

The post TSA Precheck with Global Entry appeared first on Travel.

Continue reading...

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I've been batting 100% since getting NEXUS (also gets you Global Entry and Precheck). We're a family of 4, so NEXUS is only $100 every 5 years, since it is free for kids!

Barb

Level 2 Member
Echo @Josh F's experience with Nexus. $50/person, free for kids and you get Global Entry thrown in. And the cool iris scan too!

We get precheck every time but I always enter the known traveler ID so that's probably why.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Matt-

We got Global Entry with the Amex Platinum Executive too, but we've only used it once for an outbound international trip. My understanding is that all functionality of TSA preCheck is included when you get GE. I entered our KTN on our (UA) profiles, confirmed that those numbers were on our UA reservation and off we went. Checking in at the airport, our Boarding Passes printed out PreCheck and we zipped through.

By the way, while it doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to leave your shoes on and your computer in the bag, the big edge is that it seems everyone in that line knows what they are doing. The line went so fast, it was a little tough for my wife and I to keep up with the quick pace as people almost trotted through. OTOH, we were gifted preCheck for a few check-ins last winter in Hawaii and they also gave it away to a bus full of rank amateurs. Much slower than the regular line, and everyone took off their shoes anyway having no idea what the rules were

Don't forget that with Amex Plat Exec card, authroized users get their GE fee reimbursed too, and they also get another $200 airline credit. There are long threads on FT on what the credits cover on which airlines and how to work the system. I think there were some negative changes recently but I haven't gone back to study up.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I thought AUs didn't get the $200?
We got the Ameripirse version and we each got both the GE fee and the $200 airline credit. I chose AA because the ECert on AA.com had better terms for us-as I recall, it doesn't expire and is good for fees, while UA had an expiration (readers should check current status as the info I used last summer may be stale). I also bought each of us 2 $100 certs for some reason I can't recall.

If you have an AU and didn't try for a second fee credit, you might check your version with data points on that years-old FT thread. Seems if it works for your card, you could probably still jump on it. As you likely know, in January of each year, cardholders can designate a new airline (or the same one) and go for another $200 of credits. I believe that works for AUs too. I think the primary cardholder picks the airline for him/herself and it applies for AUs too.

Speaking of the benefits of this card, they include free Boingo for a year (for AU too). I downloaded the Boingo app but it never comes up on our iPhones or Ipads, even in major cities where Boing says they have coverage. Anyone with an off the cuff suggestion?

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I've had GE for about 4 years. It's always nice to skip the huge lines, although sometimes (often, really) they catch back up to you at the luggage carousel, even if you have elite tags.

Two points. First, people who got GE awhile ago people like me might not have a "card". I don't even know what it is or where you use it versus scanning passport. You have to be able to go online to find your KTN in that case. I did it a long time ago as well, so can't remember where I was able to find it exactly. Pretty much every US airline lets you add this to your profile if you have a miles account. You can add it to all of them. I did this immediately and I've never had Pre-check not show up if my ticket is with that airline over probably 50 flights in the past two years - but IAH did refuse to honor it one time even when it was on BP.

Second, as far as I'm aware your Pre-check is not valid, at least I've been told several times, for friends accompanying you on same itinerary even if you book tickets, same pnr, etc. Immediate family only I've always been told.

As mentioned above, Pre-check is losing some value as more and more can get it easily and sometimes it's not enforced. But I still value not having to take off my shoes and especially my belt even if I do have a wait from lots of travelers.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
We got the Ameripirse version and we each got both the GE fee and the $200 airline credit. I chose AA because the ECert on AA.com had better terms for us-as I recall, it doesn't expire and is good for fees, while UA had an expiration (readers should check current status as the info I used last summer may be stale). I also bought each of us 2 $100 certs for some reason I can't recall.

If you have an AU and didn't try for a second fee credit, you might check your version with data points on that years-old FT thread. As you likely know, in January of each year, cardholders can designate a new airline (or the same one) and go for another $200 of credits. I believe that works for AUs too. I think the primary cardholder picks the airline for him/herself and it applies for AUs too.

Speaking of the benefits of this card, they include free Boingo for a year (for AU too). I downloaded the Boingo app but it never comes up on our iPhones or Ipads, even in major cities where Boing says they have coverage. Anyone with an off the cuff suggestion?
I've had GE for about 4 years. It's always nice to skip the huge lines, although sometimes (often, really) they catch back up to you at the luggage carousel, even if you have elite tags.

Two points. First, people who got GE awhile ago people like me might not have a "card". I don't even know what it is or where you use it versus scanning passport. You have to be able to go online to find your KTN in that case. I did it a long time ago as well, so can't remember where I was able to find it exactly. Pretty much every US airline lets you add this to your profile if you have a miles account. You can add it to all of them. I did this immediately and I've never had Pre-check not show up if my ticket is with that airline over probably 50 flights in the past two years - but IAH did refuse to honor it one time even when it was on BP.

Second, as far as I'm aware your Pre-check is not valid, at least I've been told several times, for friends accompanying you on same itinerary even if you book tickets, same pnr, etc. Immediate family only I've always been told.

As mentioned above, Pre-check is losing some value as more and more can get it easily and sometimes it's not enforced. But I still value not having to take off my shoes and especially my belt even if I do have a wait from lots of travelers.
I have been told that the GE card is used when crossing the US/Canadian border, but otherwise all you need is your number.

The TSA also told me that even though we are both GEs, when we re-enter the US with our 12 year old grandaughter next year, we will have to go back with the civilians since grandaughter is not GE. Maybe I should make her an AU.

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
Got TSA Pre first through my status with AA. Got Global Entry several years ago. In the beginning it was random getting it on boarding pass. Then you also did not get TSA pre on your domestic connecting flight when you were flying internationally. Now you do. In the last year or so I have been getting TSA pre on my boarding pass pretty much every time, which is very different than in the beginning. I fly internationally about ten times a year or more, so I would never consider not having Global Entry. It is fantastic.