Trip to South America

sriki

Level 2 Member
Since my grand plans to the Pacific (AUS/NZ/Fiji/Bora-Bora) for next month had to be cancelled, I am looking at other options for vacation based on season and availability. South America seems a decent option for May-June. I came across availability on LAN from IAD-LIM in business. So, I just needed connecting flights and should be good, right? Not so fast. It turns out that not being in a hub city can be a real pain in the neck. This is what I found

BTR-DFW
DFW-CLT
CLT-IAD
IAD-LIM

As crazy as the routing is, I was ok with booking it. The award priced at 42.5k instead of 30k. After a bit of back and forth with the agent and ticketing, it turns out that this route exceed the maximum mileage permitted. I was told the max permitted was 4069 miles and my routing added up to 5146. I put a hold on an alternative routing from MSY-CLT-IAD-LIM which priced at 30k though.

I looked up IAD-LIM and MPM came up as 4243 and 25% (AA allows upto 25% over MPM) comes to 5303. Since 5303 < 5146 (miles quoted by the agent), shouldn't I be able to price out my original routing at 30k AA miles? Any insight into it?

EDIT: Is it really due to MPM or direct route violation? If latter, AA allows for exceptions for indirect routing if the reason for it is due to award availability. Is that exception easily issued in practice?

Last edited: