Traveling with Prescriptions (and crossing borders)?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
As a big trip draws near for us (3 weeks) I have a lingering question. We will primarily be in South Africa but also Zambia and Botswana and I see no reason not to see Victoria Falls from the Zimbabwe side.

The county travel clinic that provided prescriptions and vaccinations for this trip also loaded us up with reading material. In this it seems to suggest that all prescriptions that you take across the border (in these specific countries) be in their original containers with pharmacy labels. I've read that before and never bothered on other trips, but there is mention of S Africa being strict and hints at criminal offenses and similar.

Doing this as they describe would add a great deal of bulk to our packing. We will be crossing into 2 countries with luggage: South Africa and Zambia. 2 others will be a day trip and a quick overnight w/no real luggage.

Does anyone have any negative experience with NOT following this procedure. I've always lumped all necessary pills in one bottle and sorted them out as needed. TIA.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
A blogger recently wrote about having some medication issues. I couldn't remember who it was but found it--Free Travel Guys. Definitely worth a read. I would talk to the pharmacy where you get your meds and see if they can give you travel bottles or blister packs to cut down the bulk.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I found the article you referenced, thanks. To save anyone else the searching, this is the link:

Code:
http://freetravelguys.com/global-entry/global-entry-clearance-revoked-wont-believe/
Interesting that he discusses mostly ENTERING THE US with prescriptions, he was actually leaving when this encounter occurred. I still need to worry about the rules in S Africa and Zambia, but I'm betting they are similar. Will continue to read and research - thanks for the reply!

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Sorry for being lazy and not finding the article. We're traveling and I replied before we went to dinner. My husband has to pack a lot of Rx meds and use to combine them. I've been more cautious since reading the story above and meeting the guy IRL

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Sorry for being lazy and not finding the article. We're traveling and I replied before we went to dinner. My husband has to pack a lot of Rx meds and use to combine them. I've been more cautious since reading the story above and meeting the guy IRL
Well, it wasn't hard to find. It was the third google link, below 2 "AD" type hits. So the first real hit. I just appreciate the pointer.